Bills Release Safety Corey Graham

With the exception of Darby, it's a complete rebuild of the secondary. Now who's going to be the #2 corner?

I hope so. He has great smarts and is a locker room asset. I love having a local kid on the roster. In 2016 he appeared in all 16 games, notching 87 tackles, one sack, nine pass breakups and one interception. He graded out as Pro Football Focus’ No. 37-ranked safety. That is not bad, but expensive... so hopefully he returns.

I hope we can still get him back even at a reduced rate. Would love to see him retire as a Bill.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd makes too much sense

Why does this make sense? He wanted a ton of $$, far more than he proved to be worth and basically toyed with the Bills with his foot issues after he was tagged. Yeah, signing a slow footed aging FS who bailed in a dirty way on this team before, makes a lot of sense. NOT!!!!

sent from my LG G5

Alright, adjust your mocks again. S is back in the picture.

Boy, I hope we trade down for picks.

aiii yiiii yiiiiii This offseason has already proven to be a very bumpy ride..I'm hanging on and waiting like everybody else to see what they really are up to at 1 Bills Dr...Buckle UP

First off I'm sorry to see Graham go, he was not only our best player in the secondary last year

But he liked playing in Buffalo and rarely got hurt

IMO he was a fan favourite, and while not a natural safety was still considered to be among the top 32 safeties in the NFL

However in terms of salary and cap its a good business move to release him

If you use the savings to bring in other quality players, especially starters

I'm just not sure this has been achieved

Love the FB Demarco signing, he's a clear upgrade over Felton

And I like the upgrade at K

I'm just less certain about the 2 safety signings

I don't see the 'upgrade'

First off you have to a little blind not to notice the two starting safeties playing ahead of Hyde in GB

Burnett and Clinton-Dix are considered top 15- 20 safeties in the NFL

Talent wise ahead of Graham and well ahead of Hyde who was not a starter in GB

So just saying those folks who claim Graham's play was declining he is being replaced by someone younger but considered nowhere near as good

In fact Hyde mostly played CB - Nickel slot in GB, not S

Where if that where he ends up with us is a clear upgrade to NRC but the jury is out if he is an NFL starting safety

Ditto Poyer, I think he is getting 1M on a one year deal, he's an upgrade in depth, not starters

That's not saying depth can't start when needed and that one or both of these guys can't pull a Lorax/Zack

They can, but its not a given

In my mind, what we are seeing is a complete revamping of our secondary, good or bad

If I think Hyde will play more 5th on nickel (which we do not know yet)

Hoyer will be the 3rd S

That means we are still looking for 3/4 starters for 2017

So we are just getting started

jc

Edited by wilcoam

I'm not sure how I've missed this all these years, but that link is amazing. Did lol.

Seems pretty clear McDermott has a different vision for the secondary. For a D that was often praised for it's secondary, they sure did seem to give up a lot of big plays at the least opportune times...

Regardless, good luck to Corey - Let's Go Buffalo (and beyond just Bills football)!

Um, sign more players?

You are avoiding the issue here. If you are freeing cap for FAs, you need to have a pool of decent starters worth signing. The quality level of the remaining players at RT, WR, CB, S, LB is mostly depth/backup quality, and rapidly approaching dumpster dive level.

We have exactly 3 draft picks in the first 4 rounds. After the 4th round the odds are such that you are happy to even get potential depth/backup. The odds of getting a quality day one starter are very low.

With all our needs, we have 3 reasonable shots at filling all our needed positions in the draft. We still have a QB who is an average bridge QB. Jones is still a major ? to ever develop. We need to select a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to have any hope for the future. The way the draft is now set up, we only need 5-6 Million in cap for the draft.

We have exactly one quality potential starter signed in FA for S. We have 1 quality starter at WR. We have 0 quality starters at RT. The dream here is that Kujo will start at LT, flipping our LT to RT. But Kujo is injured. He will miss OTC and mini-camp, will probably be out of shape.No one knows how his injury will affect him going forward. We need another quality starter at CB.

With most quality starter level FAs already gone, we have holes all over the place for starters. Cap is nice, but making more holes by releasing starters when there is little chance of getting better at their position in FA or the draft is beginning to sound like a season Tank strategy to me.

Edited by simpleman