Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

I like Tyrod but I don't at all think that they shouldn't draft a QB at 10 if they like him. I think what a lot of fans and writers and pundits mistake, however, is when a team doesn't draft a QB at, say, 10, that it means they don't care about the position or they think Tyrod in this case is a franchise guy because they didn't take a QB, etc.

The Bills scouts, like every team, grade players differently. If they loved Kizer but not Watson, and Kizer was gone and a guy they didn't think would be available is, they will take that guy. But it doesn't at all mean they didn't want a QB at 10 or that they believe Tyrod is great, or that there is some kind of disconnect in the organization, 9 times out of 10 it will mean the one guy they liked wasn't there and a different guy at a different position they love was.

I'm not excusing the Bills for not spending more high picks on QBs either. We clearly have screwed up for decades. The point is you don't take a guy you don't think is going to be a franchise player in the first round at QB because you need a QB, but more importantly just because they didn't take one there cannot be extrapolated to they weren't looking or think Tyrod is a franchise QB.

They don't need to draft one at 10 but in the first 2 rounds to show serious commitment, they haven't in the past so that is why I bring it up, we already have our developmental QB in Jones so drafting a QB to me in rounds 4-7 make no sense, that is where you draft a developmental QB which we already have.

I prefer Watson or Trubisky but if they like someone else I'll get behind that pick, I just want them to start drafting that position like it's the most important, only going after 2 QB's in the 1st round in our 17 year playoff drought is nuts to me.

They don't even need to take a QB this year but I still want to see what Whaley's version of a franchise QB is which will be HIS pick.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@jeremyWGR

Tyrods win - Can still earn about 30 in two years.

Bills win - Guarantee, Cap hit both drop. Dead money (8 mil) if its one and done.

If that is true that is one hell of a deal and it was a no brainer to keep him on those terms

Isn't that his old contract with the option bonus.

Unless I'm missing something that doesn't look like the restructure, but maybe I'm missing it.

i saw the cap hit down to 6 and thought it was the new one... I think we will see more info today

i saw the cap hit down to 6 and thought it was the new one... I think we will see more info today

Agreed it fooled me at first also.

I appreciate the number knowledge you have brought to theses FA threads - nice work!

If there is any issue with this, this calls into question Taylor's self confidence, which concerns me. He could have gotten 2x this if he was cut. Why did he crater this way to a dying franchise?

Umm, probably because he doesn't see anything you just typed as being close to the truth.

Nice hot take though.

Cap hit isn't getting kicked down the road. Tyrod took a massive pay cut.

He was due $27.5M in year 1 and $40.5M over 2 yrs under the old deal

He is now due $14.5M in year 1 and $30M over 2 years. He basically took a $13M paycut this year.

This was a massive win for the Bills, and seems to indicate there wasn't much of a market for Tyrod outside of Buffalo.......you don't take that type of paycut unless there's no where else to turn. I always thought reports of other teams ready to make a run at Tyrod were being overblown.

I never hated Tyrod, but I did hate his old deal. It had way too much cash for a middling QB. His new deal is much more in line with his value, so I'm okay with it. Still don't like the player, but I do like the value of the contract now.

which indicates what exactly?

Did he settle or was the market cold for him?

which indicates what exactly?

Did he settle or was the market cold for him?

I am pretty sure it tells you the market is not what some here believed it would be. Teams who wanted him wanted to pay him as a bridge and given that choice he is better being paid as a bridge here with a coach in Dennison who knows him and an organisation where he is comfortable rather than being paid as a bridge somewhere new.

IMO, DW called TT bluff about breaking the bank as a FA. DW knew there wasn't going to be a market for TT, because he is not good QB, DW hears things, knows things, talks to people in the know, and knew TT and his agent would come crawling back for any $$$ provided that DW didn't sign a FA QB.

DW is a lot smarter than people give him credit for and he knows a hell of a lot more than anyone on this board.

Interesting that Bills were leaders for Wagner, jusczyk, with rumors of Hoyer interest, then in about an hour word leaks of restructured deal with Tyrod and Wagner, Jusczyk, and Hoyer all sign with other teams. Whaley was clearly prepared to move on if Tyrod didn't accept a significant pay cut.

If that is true that is one hell of a deal and it was a no brainer to keep him on those terms

No question about it. Very surprising that he agreed to take so much less $. Guessing there was no other team that would have turned over their staring job to him. I would have thought otherwise.

opens up a lot of space. tyrod is betting on himself as he can earn a lot of money if he plays well. i like the commitment it shows to him going out there.

I don't think there was any commitment on the Bills part. If there was they would have just picked up the remainder of the original contract.

To me this was plan B or C or D.

No question about it. Very surprising that he agreed to take so much less $. Guessing there was no other team that would have turned over their staring job to him. I would have thought otherwise.

Yup, the only place he was guaranteed to start was Buffalo. Him and his agent quickly found that out a couple days ago.

I like Tyrod but I don't at all think that they shouldn't draft a QB at 10 if they like him. I think what a lot of fans and writers and pundits mistake, however, is when a team doesn't draft a QB at, say, 10, that it means they don't care about the position or they think Tyrod in this case is a franchise guy because they didn't take a QB, etc.

The Bills scouts, like every team, grade players differently. If they loved Kizer but not Watson, and Kizer was gone and a guy they didn't think would be available is, they will take that guy. But it doesn't at all mean they didn't want a QB at 10 or that they believe Tyrod is great, or that there is some kind of disconnect in the organization, 9 times out of 10 it will mean the one guy they liked wasn't there and a different guy at a different position they love was.

I'm not excusing the Bills for not spending more high picks on QBs either. We clearly have screwed up for decades. The point is you don't take a guy you don't think is going to be a franchise player in the first round at QB because you need a QB, but more importantly just because they didn't take one there cannot be extrapolated to they weren't looking or think Tyrod is a franchise QB.

Whachoodoin' man? There's no room for intelligent discourse here. Take this crap to the radio. :w00t: