Mike Gillisllee - Combine News

Fixxxer

I like the sounds of a long-term deal, but 5th round tender....that's really not going to stop anyone from offering him a deal. He's a second or third round back in this draft with no character concerns. There's a lot of value in that.

I like Gillislee a lot but I dislike giving RB's long term deals.

IMO, it would have been worth paying the extra $900K or so to effectively lock him down for this season but still be able to move on next year if they find another one late in the draft of UDFA or scrap heap............nobody is coughing up a 2nd in this draft.

But a fifth? With all the comp picks this year that is a virtual 6th.

Mistakes wrt RB deals have lead to the Bills squandering so many draft resources on RB's in their history it's utterly crazy.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Mike, but I worry about him holding up with that running style at times. He was in a few serious collisions this past season. He doesn't shy away from contact that's for sure.

Maybe they want the pick more than they want him and are hoping some team steps up with an offer. It wasn't coming if it was a 2nd rd tender.

Gillislee is a nice backup but this is a crazy good RB draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Gillislee a lot but I dislike giving RB's long term deals.

IMO, it would have been worth paying the extra $900K or so to effectively lock him down for this season but still be able to move on next year if they find another one late in the draft of UDFA or scrap heap............nobody is coughing up a 2nd in this draft.

But a fifth? With all the comp picks this year that is a virtual 6th.

Mistakes wrt RB deals have lead to the Bills squandering so many draft resources on RB's in their history it's utterly crazy.

I agree. I expected the 2nd round tender. I have to think some teams would be very interested in him for only a 5th. The Bills can match, but I doubt they'd do so.

Nobody is giving Gillislee $3m per year and paying a 5th round pick. New England pays Blount $1m per year. Atlanta pays their 2 rb's a combined $3m per year.

With a lack of a Brady and a Matt Ryan, Buffalo needs to rely more on the run game than those teams. I am not totally disagreeing with your sentiment to spend very moderate amounts for the RB position but those two are not good comparables for the Bills.

Nobody is giving Gillislee $3m per year and paying a 5th round pick. New England pays Blount $1m per year. Atlanta pays their 2 rb's a combined $3m per year.

Atlanta's RB's are both on rookie contracts. Freeman is about to get paid like a top back and Coleman will be right behind him. In two years their combined salary will be over $10 million. Blount is happy with $1 million because he knows any scrub could run as a complement to Brady. $3 million isn't that much for a guy who could be a starter on a team without a true #1.

Maybe they want the pick more than they want him and are hoping some team steps up with an offer. It wasn't coming if it was a 2nd rd tender.

Gillislee is a nice backup but this is a crazy good RB draft.

Yeah it's loaded.

If they come out of this draft process without a good S, CB and RB they will have mishandled the draft/UDFA process this year.

The DB class reminds me of the year that Donahoe got Jabari Greer in UDFA......there was a pretty good S they got in UDFA that year too.

Using BPA as a guide would inevitably lead them to those positions at some point in the process.........reaching for need in places this draft can't provide it will just make them more needy next year.

...his role ideally could be filled by a late round pick.

That all depends on our GM being able to find talent in the draft, which he has not been able to do consistently. That sentiment is also the reason our team is a revolving door of talent.

That all depends on our GM being able to find talent in the draft, which he has not been able to do consistently. That sentiment is also the reason our team is a revolving door of talent.

Yet, he was able to identify the player of topic. Albeit not in the draft, but still scouted the kid obviously enough to see he was worth a shot.

If Gillislee hits unrestricted free agency, he will be poached as their are just too many teams with a boatload of cap room. You'd figure Whaley learned his lesson with Hogan, but with his MC Hammer like cap skills he is forced to pinch pennies. Hopefully they lock him up soon or it's gonna be another key solid contributor lost over 800K.

If Gillislee hits unrestricted free agency, he will be poached as their are just too many teams with a boatload of cap room. You'd figure Whaley learned his lesson with Hogan, but with his MC Hammer like cap skills he is forced to pinch pennies. Hopefully they lock him up soon or it's gonna be another key solid contributor lost over 800K.

It seems like Whaley learned a little bit, but not enough.

Worth noting that he's taken Karlos Williams & Jonathan Williams in the 5th round of the last two drafts. Look for BYU RB Jamaal Williams in the 5th this year.

It seems like Whaley learned a little bit, but not enough.

Worth noting that he's taken Karlos Williams & Jonathan Williams in the 5th round of the last two drafts. Look for BYU RB Jamaal Williams in the 5th this year.

Who would not be a bad pick btw. There are some fantastic RBs through out this entire draft, Williams being one of them.

I could see Green Bay, Detroit, Baltimore, the Chargers or Jacksonville trying to sign Gilly.

Doug Whaley sucks at the RFA process - he screwed it up with Hogan and he may have just screwed it up with Gilly. It seems to stem from his lack of awareness of how other teams value players, which (not surprisingly) is also the reason he misplays the draft when it comes to QBs (he always seems to think they're going to go a round later than they actually do).

Edited by Coach Tuesday