Bills reportedly would have interest in Trevor Siemian

At least it's a slightly new topic to think about. Romo probably works quite well in Denver, they just need to teach him to get the ball out faster.

TS vs TT I think they are so similar it boils down to how their trade off complement or detract from the intended offense.

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trevor would be a good backup for Hotrod or Colin Kaepernick or Nick Foles or Alex Smith.

Not really interested in him starting here.

I don't think Colin is in the category of possible starters. His ceiling is no better than Tyrod.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I really don't want to have to learn to spell his name though

@allbrightNFL

If the #Broncos do end up with Romo, the #Bills would have interest in acquiring Trevor Siemian.

Wow ok can he throw over the middle

Oh

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd prefer Siemian to Foles (for example). I have no use for either though. Keep TT and compete or burn this s**t to the ground. I thought we were done being half-pregnant (or is that a thing again with Rex out)?

can't burn it to the ground with TT he will keep us at the middle of the pack. We need to go big or go home.

Im pretty sure. Over 3:1 in terms of TDs to turnovers shouldn't be brushed aside. He has accounted for 47 TDs in 29 starts (10 of which were rushing). That's pretty good but great when you look at his half a turnover a game. That's not "any guy can do it stuff." It's right in line with Dalton and guys like that (better than Smith, Flacco Tannehill, etc...).

If he had the minimum number of passing attempts (1500) he'd be 4th all-time in TD:INT ratio behind only Rodgers, Brady and Russell Wilson. When you factor in he runs for a bunch more we need to stop pretending like anyone can put up points without turning it over. He has some flaws but he does some things extremely well.

I like Siemian better than some others. He can adequately be a bridge guy and has some upside. He isn't on par with TT though because TT makes more plays and less mistakes. I am in favor of keeping TT or hitting reset. Siemian is a little too good for my reset plan I think. Id rather roll with Cardale and let him sink or swim. Get a guy at the beginning of 2018 draft otherwise.

Like always, I respect your post. I used to be a huge td to int ratio guy but I think it needs to be in context. For instance, Brett favre's td to int ratio is 1.5. Jim Kelly's is 1.4. Alex Smith's is 1.7. Tyrod'S is 2.6. Which of these qbs would want?

When you don't take chances or throw certain passes (over the middle), you aren't going to throw as many INTs. But those over the middle throws are what separates qbs.

Taylor is a low level starting qb and he has explosive capabilities. But he is a very flawed guy that most good defenses can game plan against.

Fair points. I'd be okay with him as the starter, however, if TT was traded for a top pick as mentioned in another thread. Then you start him, surround him with talent, hope he makes the playoffs, and get a franchise guy in next years draft. And I could be wrong, but I think Siemian sees the middle of the field better than TT.

getting a good pick for TT plus a solid QB I'm cool with.

I won't destroy you for this. Esp. if TT can net us a top 15 pick in the draft. 2 picks in the top 15. Nice.

If Tyrod is worth a top 15 pick he is worth keeping. I like a lot of things about Tyrod, but he's not getting the Bills a top 15 pick. Maybe a second rounder. Edited by purple haze

I don't think Colin is in the category of possible starters. His ceiling is no better than Tyrod.

I disagree. Colin has played better than Hotrod a few years (SB appearance as starter) ago.

And with a tire fire situation with the Chipster last year he still put up almost identical stats (actually a little better) as Hotrod. In 11 starts he he had 16 TDs/4 Ints 2241 pass yards 468 rush yards and a 90.7 rate.

I'd swap 'em out in 1/8 of a NY heartbeat.

Edited by reddogblitz

Apparently no one learned anything about overreacting to meaningless tweets after the McCoy/Buffalo incident.

I disagree. Colin has played better than Hotrod a few years (SB appearance as starter) ago.

And with a tire fire situation with the Chipster last year he still put up almost identical stats (actually a little better) as Hotrod. In 11 starts he he had 16 TDs/4 Ints 2241 pass yards 468 rush yards and a 90.7 rate.

He had a suberbowl appearance with one of the best defenses and running games in football. He was VERY mediocre as a passer that year, completing 58% of his passes...He went an impress 1-10 last year, again completing less than 60% of his passes and averaging 6.8 yards per attempt, which is putrid. He's been better than no one, what's worse, is he's seemingly regressed every year as a starter. Mark Sanchez made two straight AFC championship games, and your boy Dilfer won the SB. We all know that means nothing.

He also now has 5 years of mediocrity, a trend. However slim it may be, there's still more likely hood that Tyrod could improve than Colin at this point.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Agree with this theory.

Whaleys ego getting in the way. He needs to have his own guy at QB rather then settle for something Rex brought in.

We agreed a lot on Rex but this is crazy. I think it's silly to think Whaley cares more about getting his guy than winning. If Tyrod was legit and could help us to the playoffs, Whaley looks good.

Whaley just might not think TT is good enough to pay a decent amount of money to it. It's not personal.

Except Denver had the #1 defense and the Bills had the 27th best defense using DVOA as a measure. Record comparisons don't work in this situation - it's apples and oranges.

My completely uninformed theory that is really just a guess: Whaley and the staff are at loggerheads about TT, with Whaley wanting him gone and the coaches willing to work with him. They are wrestling with what to do, and at this point are cobbling together compromise scenarios that satisfy both sides.

Taylor is definitely better than Siemian, but Siemiean isn't horrible. If they do go after him, it'll be as a starter. Bank on that.

Except Denver had the #1 defense and the Bills had the 27th best defense using DVOA as a measure. Record comparisons don't work in this situation - it's apples and oranges.

My completely uninformed theory that is really just a guess: Whaley and the staff are at loggerheads about TT, with Whaley wanting him gone and the coaches willing to work with him. They are wrestling with what to do, and at this point are cobbling together compromise scenarios that satisfy both sides.

Taylor is definitely better than Siemian, but Siemiean isn't horrible. If they do go after him, it'll be as a starter. Bank on that.

Whaley and the staff are not at loggerheads over how they rate TT as a qb. The difference is that Whaley is willing to let him go and give the team more cap space and move on from him. The coaching staff knows what TT is as a qb but from their standpoint they would rather prefer having a limited qb who can give them an opportunity to have a respectable year. I understand the coaching staff's hesitation to jettison TT and risk having a crash and burn year.

At this point would I prefer Siemian over TT? Yes. From a value standpoint I would take Siemian and gain more cap space to add more talent to the roster. The issue for me is not which qb is better than the other. Who freaking cares? The defining issue is whether this team is going to draft a good qb prospect who will become our long term franchise qb. That's the real issue. Let me also add that there are good qb prospects in this draft and we will be in position to select one. Does Whaley have the heart and wisdom to do so? History indicates not.

Like always, I respect your post. I used to be a huge td to int ratio guy but I think it needs to be in context. For instance, Brett favre's td to int ratio is 1.5. Jim Kelly's is 1.4. Alex Smith's is 1.7. Tyrod'S is 2.6. Which of these qbs would want?

When you don't take chances or throw certain passes (over the middle), you aren't going to throw as many INTs. But those over the middle throws are what separates qbs.

Taylor is a low level starting qb and he has explosive capabilities. But he is a very flawed guy that most good defenses can game plan against.

Thanks CBiscuit, you are always a well thought out and respectful poster. We need more of that.

In terms of TT the 47 TDs in 29 games is still pretty good. Dalton and Tannehill each played 29 games over the last 2 years and Dalton has 50 TDs, Tannehill 45 and Tyrod 47. TT has less turnovers too. 1.62 TDs per game is pretty good (middle of the league or higher I would think). That amounts to 26 TDs a year on a team that runs for a bunch more with the backs. The offense has held its end of the bargain the last 2 years.

He's not perfect though. I'm okay moving on. If they do move on, I'd rather not go with a worse Tyrod to save money. Let's clear cap space, accumulate picks, play Cardale and search for a franchise guy. I have this weird feeling the Bills will go the route that I like the least (a Foles type with Peterman and Cardale) or something like that.

That is what I am saying. Either keep him and try to win or start the whole thing over.

I don't understand your reasoning. With TT you can be a middle of the pack type team and be competitive. With Siemian you still could be a middle of the pack and be a competitive team. The difference is that Siemian comes at a much cheaper price allowing you to use the extra cap space on additional players.

I'm not bothered with TT or staying or not. And that is the point. He is a short term qb with little long term prospects. If each qb is considered to be a middling qb then why not go with the cheaper qb?

I made this argument with someone a while back. I still think Taylor is basically Kaepernick, with similar upside and flaws.

Neither is really a guy you want to invest in.

I made this argument with someone a while back. I still think Taylor is basically Kaepernick, with similar upside and flaws.

Neither is really a guy you want to invest in.

This is a much more sensible statement...which is exactly my point. They aren't going to dump Tyrod for Kaepernick, when they are very similar players. It just doesn't make any sense. If they dump Tyrod, I'd expect a different type of QB, not a clone. Kaep is a very unlikely option IMO.

I'd also argue, that since Taylor has only had 2 seasons under one system...that he has more "potential" than Kaep, who has struggled for several seasons now, in several different systems. He looks to have topped out.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is a much more sensible statement...which is exactly my point. They aren't going to dump Tyrod for Kaepernick, when they are very similar players. It just doesn't make any sense. If they dump Tyrod, I'd expect a different type of QB, not a clone. Kaep is a very unlikely option IMO.

I'd also argue, that since Taylor has only had 2 seasons under one system...that he has more "potential" than Kaep, who has struggled for several seasons now, in several different systems. He looks to have topped out.

I'd disagree on the potential, but 100% on a swap of the two. It doesn't make sense if you're looking at it long term.