Saint Doug Cops to his Sins ("Obviously")

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I commend him for finally showing some humility. The south has softened his demeanor.

Same.

Tyler Dunne

Doug Marrone is back in the saddle. Admits he made mistakes in Buffalo and wishes he could've "communicated things better" when he left.

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/836971458815459328

I'm still not a huge fan of him as a coach, but I respect people a lot more when they admit mistakes like that.

One thing I found interesting listening to his press conference today is when he was talking about Nate Hackett and how he was the OC for a short period while Marrone was still the OLine coach. Nate started calling Marrone "Doug" instead of "Coach Marrone." Marrone said, "what is this, a power trip. We got him back to calling me Coach Marrone, so that was the first step, so that went well."

As someone who's never really cared how people address me, I found myself rolling my eyes a bit while he was going through that. I'm sure some will side with Coach Marrone on that one, I just found it unnecessary.

I'm still not a huge fan of him as a coach, but I respect people a lot more when they admit mistakes like that.

One thing I found interesting listening to his press conference today is when he was talking about Nate Hackett and how he was the OC for a short period while Marrone was still the OLine coach. Nate started calling Marrone "Doug" instead of "Coach Marrone." Marrone said, "what is this, a power trip. We got him back to calling me Coach Marrone, so that was the first step, so that went well."

As someone who's never really cared how people address me, I found myself rolling my eyes a bit while he was going through that. I'm sure some will side with Coach Marrone on that one, I just found it unnecessary.

Geez, the guy is still on a power trip. He insists that his coordinators call him "Coach Marrone?" Was it a joke?

Still think he's a doosh. Easy to 'admit mistakes' with 4 mil spare change in your pocket and a HC job

Most of me just doesn't care about Doug - he's part of Buffalo history now. But it was such a weird event - his quitting - that I admit some curiosity. It's good to read that he knows he should have handled things better.

"I always appreciated that experience. I thought Kim and Terry Pegula were great coming in, Mr. Wilson was awesome when he was alive while I was there, Mary Wilson. The people in the organization, there's a lot of great people there. I think when you go back and you look back, I'll be honest, there's some things that I should have done differently...

Privately, I've talked to Terry about that. He knows how I feel about it. I'm going to obviously keep that conversation private. Yes, I would say absolutely, you learn from that. That's one of the mistakes you wish you could go back and do over and you just wish you had more time."

It's easy for him to show humility and admit to his mistakes now that the bitterness has likely subsided. He was bitter that he left a head coaching job. Now that he has the same position he shows humility. It's easy to admit your mistakes when you have what you want. It's far more difficult to admit to ones past mistakes when you aren't currently in the position you want to be. True character is shown in the most difficult moments. This does nothing for me as far as lessening Marrones image as an ego maniac.

Still think he's a doosh. Easy to 'admit mistakes' with 4 mil spare change in your pocket and a HC job

Exactly. It's not like he admitted to his mistakes promptly.

Most of me just doesn't care about Doug - he's part of Buffalo history now. But it was such a weird event - his quitting - that I admit some curiosity. It's good to read that he knows he should have handled things better.

"I always appreciated that experience. I thought Kim and Terry Pegula were great coming in, Mr. Wilson was awesome when he was alive while I was there, Mary Wilson. The people in the organization, there's a lot of great people there. I think when you go back and you look back, I'll be honest, there's some things that I should have done differently...

Privately, I've talked to Terry about that. He knows how I feel about it. I'm going to obviously keep that conversation private. Yes, I would say absolutely, you learn from that. That's one of the mistakes you wish you could go back and do over and you just wish you had more time."

First sign of dishonesty? "I'll be honest..."

you know it's not a joke! Remember how he made the players stand a certain way for the anthem

That is not necessarily bad; I hope only team which will sign Colin Kaepernick is Jaguars and he tells him either he will stand as he tells him to or he will not be on field during kickoff.

It's easy for him to show humility and admit to his mistakes now that the bitterness has likely subsided. He was bitter that he left a head coaching job. Now that he has the same position he shows humility. It's easy to admit your mistakes when you have what you want. It's far more difficult to admit to ones past mistakes when you aren't currently in the position you want to be. True character is shown in the most difficult moments. This does nothing for me as far as lessening Marrones image as an ego maniac.

Exactly. It's not like he admitted to his mistakes promptly.

Great point, Drive.

Same.

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/836971458815459328

That's fantastic, thanks for posting it. On one hand he admits he made mistakes, which is respectable, then on the other he shows he's still a classless douche. I also think him and Coughlin will have an epic crash and burn at some point. Great stuff.

First sign of dishonesty? "I'll be honest..."

Kind of like "no disrespect but..." (Look out! It's a comin'.)

That's fantastic, thanks for posting it. On one hand he admits he made mistakes, which is respectable, then on the other he shows he's still a classless douche. I also think him and Coughlin will have an epic crash and burn at some point. Great stuff.

That will be an interesting relationship for sure.

Kind of like "no disrespect but..." (Look out! It's a comin'.)

That will be an interesting relationship for sure.

Yea, I know Coughlin has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in his career so maybe he's looking to pay it forward by mentoring Marrone but I just see his head exploding over it eventually.