2017 NFL combine

@movethesticks

For what it's worth...most impressive QBs today

1- Watson

2-Trubisky

3- Mahomes

4-Kizer

That's pretty much my take watching these guys. Peterman, Dobbs, and Webb after that. Most surprising to me was Trevor Knight. Not the greatest group by far, but guys with some solid potential in this draft.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watson looked the best today but I want to see the pro day workouts where they go through a script and throw to WR's they have some familiarity with.

I'm not moving guys up or down based on combine drills.

Edited by jeffismagic

Watson looked the best today but I want to see the pro day workouts where they go through a script and throw to WR's they have some familiarity with.

Pro Day's are important, but it's also good to see how they do with guys they aren't familiar with. That unfamiliarity is the wild card. If a guy is putting the ball on a guy in the perfect spot and he hasn't seen him every day in practice, to me, that says a lot.

Only thing that's changing the grades I have is either more game film or an arrest.

I frankly don't care about anything a QB does at the Combine. I don't get access to interviews, only thing I'd want to see.

Only thing that's changing the grades I have is either more game film or an arrest.

I frankly don't care about anything a QB does at the Combine. I don't get access to interviews, only thing I'd want to see.

Exactly. Or more information on intangibles that we don't have access to that leaks out. A guy can look good throwing in shorts I want to see what happens when has people trying to kill him.

Would anyone be shocked to see Watson go number 1?

Yes.

Exactly. Or more information on intangibles that we don't have access to that leaks out. A guy can look good throwing in shorts I want to see what happens when has people trying to kill him.

Yes.

I won't but I guess we'll see. And you just talked about how it doesn't matter what it looks like when qbs are throwing in shorts. Well, Watson has played as well as any qb in college history and he looks good in shorts as well.

Maybe he is just a really good player.

I agree with this. The pro day and combine are nice to watch but the film should create your opinion and a GM's decision. Pro day and combine for the teams are used to confirm a thing or two you either like or don't like - and to take a look at a few things they have been working on that they didn't necessarily do as a collegiate, i.e. 5 step drop, take snaps from under center.

Edited by Triple Threat

I won't but I guess we'll see. And you just talked about how it doesn't matter what it looks like when qbs are throwing in shorts. Well, Watson has played as well as any qb in college history and he looks good in shorts as well.

Maybe he is just a really good player.

He is an incredible college QB and a very good pro prospect. NFL teams will differ where they see him. I would be surprised if he is the first QB off the board but all it takes is one team.

If the Browns don't take Garrett they're stupid. The guy is a bigger Von Miller

I agree generally but qb triumphs everything.

He is an incredible college QB and a very good pro prospect. NFL teams will differ where they see him. I would be surprised if he is the first QB off the board but all it takes is one team.

Agree. MG is a much safer pick but man, if you pass on a good qb, it is death. Imagine if the Fins drafted Matt Ryan (a guy who throw a bunch of INTs in college) instead of the safe LT Jake Long?

I agree with this. The pro day and combine are nice to watch but the film should create your opinion and a GM's decision. Pro day and combine for the teams are used to confirm a thing or two you either like or don't like - and to take a look at a few things they have been working on that they didn't necessarily do as a collegiate, i.e. 5 step drop, take snaps from under center.

I'll go through the field drills at some point to look at Mahomes especially, curiousity about those feet. It's just not something that will factor in because they don't revert to bad habits. Brad Kaaya looked great against air but he's going to. The second he gets blitzed, he'll likely look exactly like he did on film.

I'll get off my soap box now :D

I agree generally but qb triumphs everything.

Agree. MG is a much safer pick but man, if you pass on a good qb, it is death. Imagine if the Fins drafted Matt Ryan (a guy who throw a bunch of INTs in college) instead of the safe LT Jake Long?

That's why this draft is fun. There are a lot of good QB prospects that could turn out. It really tests scouting abilities, intuition, and more.

Was only able to watch the first group of QBs throw but I still think Kizer is going to be a mediocre QB in the NFL. Not impressed by him at all from all the games I saw.

How did Watson and Mahomes look? Those guys have me intrigued.

Would anyone be shocked to see Watson go number 1?

Honestly it wouldn't shock me at all to see the Browns go QB at 1. I could easily see the Browns saying they'll be able to add impact players at other positions from picks 12 / 33 / 52 / 65 so they may not risk not getting their guy by waiting till 12.

It also wouldn't surprise me if there's a segment of their brain trust kicking themselves for not taking Wentz, which could be a factor.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Exceptional group of TE's this year

Next to qb, the second position we neglect the most. God, it would be awful to have a big, athletic guy to throw the ball to. It would be awful to have 2 TEs so you can run multiple formations that can be dangerous with both passing and running. Let's not pay attention to what NE does with TEs because they clearly are stupid.

I love Hunter Henry last year. I have a huge man crush on OJ and would love him on this team but I'm not sure if it's the best move at 10.

Not watching but any news on Adam Shaheen?

Speedy Noil tests off the charts

He was such a monster in high school. That was a great class in New Orleans (Noil, Dupre, Fournette, etc...). There is so, so, so much talent down here. There's a kid that I saw as a sophomore (will be a senior this year) at Hahnville (Landry's school) named Anthony "Pooka" Williams. He's Reggie Bush. Watch for him over the next few years.

He was such a monster in high school. That was a great class in New Orleans (Noil, Dupre, Fournette, etc...). There is so, so, so much talent down here. There's a kid that I saw as a sophomore (will be a senior this year) at Hahnville (Landry's school) named Anthony "Pooka" Williams. He's Reggie Bush. Watch for him over the next few years.

So he's going have negative rushing yards in a season? That's nothing to brag about! :)

Watson absolutely killed it today. Put on a throwing clinic. Please be there at 10!

If we release Taylor next week the pick at 10 will be Watson or Mahomes. That's my gut feeling.

Myles Garrett...33 reps with 35-1/4" arms 😮

#freakofnature

Best player in the draft. If the Browns pass on him to take a QB they will regret it, while San Fran will forever thank them.

Best player in the draft. If the Browns pass on him to take a QB they will regret it, while San Fran will forever thank them.

I've seen guys put up reps, and I've seen guys with freakishly long arms, but I've never seen guys with freakishly long arms put up those reps, AND display his type of get-off and bend.

His workout tomorrow could vault him into Mario Williams territory

I've seen guys put up reps, and I've seen guys with freakishly long arms, but I've never seen guys with freakishly long arms put up those reps, AND display his type of get-off and bend.

His workout tomorrow could vault him into Mario Williams territory

And Garrett actually seems to love the game.

And Garrett actually seems to love the game.

Actually one of the knocks against Garrett is he takes plays off. Still, an elite talent at a premium position. The "safest" pick in the draft.

But Matt Ryan threw 19 INTs his last year in college. The Fins went with the safe pick and it was a mistake. but given how many picks the Browns have, waiting in a qb probably makes the most sense.

@albertbreer

Among the top QBs, as they leave Indy, consensus among teams I talked to was that Clemson's Deshaun Watson had the strongest week overall.

And that's including the whole deal -- interviews, on-field work, testing, etc.

Watson did look good throwing today.

Watson did look good throwing today.

something a media scout said during the season that stuck with me was that if you like what Dak Prescott did as a rookie, Watson can do everything Dak does, only better. So much of the game as an NFL QB is mental/mindset/prep/competitiveness/leadership. Watson is an incredibly impressive individual, along with being an elite athlete and a winner. Edited by YoloinOhio