trade Ragland for more mobile LB or safety

Commish

I don't think he's good enough in coverage to hang with a lot of the elite TE's in the league, but I think he has some abilities as an edge rusher that might translate to the sam spot.

He's a prototypical mike though, he attacks his gaps and hits hard. Honestly it's not a bad problem to have a guy who might fit both. I think his intangibles will translate to what the coaches want to see out of their mike.

last I saw Keuchly try to cover Gronk it was a total mismatch, too.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point of the post was to try to fill a position of great need (safety) by giving up a player from a position where we're in better shape (LB). The 30,000 foot view is, well, maybe that's a good idea. Closer in, though, it's doesn't look so good. We're going to lose Lorax to FA (can't afford him). neither Brown is really that good, Ragland is an unproven rookie coming off a major injury.

The smart thing to do is actually to draft a LB in the middle rounds, draft a safety high, draft an OT or G fairly high, swallow hard and hold your nose and bring TT back, and sign a FA WR or two (we lose Woods, but there are guys like him looking to leave their teams too). If Cardale is ready to be a fulltime, dependable backup QB, there you go. If he's not, what the hell are we keeping him for?

Oh, also, and very important: trade Dareus. A hugely talented, selfish, lazy, inconsistent, waste of money. Dareus is killing the salary cap, and his lack of maturity and leadership is killing the defense. Send a message to the other players that being a high pick and having talent, but being a lazy jerk, won't cut it anymore. Use the savings to sign Gilmore. A very talented, good cover, lousy tackling (i.e., typical) CB who will be a perfect fit in the new scheme.

How about the obvious: we don't know what he can do. And no other team will either.

Second, who is saying the Ragland doesn't fit? Ragland is a bit of a thumper, but the scouting reports I heard had him as better mobility and pass coverage ability than people give him credit for, so closer to a rich man's Brandon Spikes. Plus, McDermott likes the double A gap attack, both as a real blitz and a feint.

Third, what are we going to get for him?

I hope you're right, but the scouting reports I saw didn't so much say that he had better mobility and pass coverage ability than thought as that he could play zone pass defenses, which essentially doesn't require a ton of mobility.

As I say, I hope you're right, but from what little I hear, the new system requires real speed.

Too early to say, really, but there are questions about him. And yeah, you're right, what would you get for him. He's probably OK after the accident and he's got a contract teams wouldn't mind acquiring, but he's an unknown quantity in terms of pro ability.

I think the point of the post was to try to fill a position of great need (safety) by giving up a player from a position where we're in better shape (LB). The 30,000 foot view is, well, maybe that's a good idea. Closer in, though, it's doesn't look so good. We're going to lose Lorax to FA (can't afford him). neither Brown is really that good, Ragland is an unproven rookie coming off a major injury.

The smart thing to do is actually to draft a LB in the middle rounds, draft a safety high, draft an OT or G fairly high, swallow hard and hold your nose and bring TT back, and sign a FA WR or two (we lose Woods, but there are guys like him looking to leave their teams too). If Cardale is ready to be a fulltime, dependable backup QB, there you go. If he's not, what the hell are we keeping him for?

Oh, also, and very important: trade Dareus. A hugely talented, selfish, lazy, inconsistent, waste of money. Dareus is killing the salary cap, and his lack of maturity and leadership is killing the defense. Send a message to the other players that being a high pick and having talent, but being a lazy jerk, won't cut it anymore. Use the savings to sign Gilmore. A very talented, good cover, lousy tackling (i.e., typical) CB who will be a perfect fit in the new scheme.

Have to disagree with you about Zac Brown. He really is that good. Would probably be a great fit too, but we might not be able to sign him.

And trading Dareus is borderline insane. Ignoring the fact that he's our best player - I'm irritated by his behavior too, but he's our best guy - trading him right now would have a dead cap hit of $32.7 mill. No possible way on Earth that happens.

Eagles traded for Alonzo, Gunnerbill thinks he would fit in Schwartz's D, so maybe go back to the well one more time

I do think Ragland could play MLB in Schwartz's D similar to the way he used Spikes in Buffalo. Not sure you would get anything worth having in a trade for a guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL and has suffered an ACL since he was the player seen in college.

I do think Ragland could play MLB in Schwartz's D similar to the way he used Spikes in Buffalo. Not sure you would get anything worth having in a trade for a guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL and has suffered an ACL since he was the player seen in college.

The thing is, if you are talking about an Eagles trade, I am seeing very little that you would want to get back in return. They did get an extra 4th for Bradford (which I still contend that despite all the local grumbling, a trade of Bradford for the #14 pick and a fourth looks ludicrously good right now) but there's no way they are giving us anything close to equivalent of what we spent on Ragland. In fact, they are shopping LBs right now.

...<thumbing through the volumous TBD rule book regarding newbs starting threads...>..

I don't think there are any. Which is good, because I was a noob once. And I just made myself sad realizing that was 8.5 years ago. Womp womp.

I think he's gotten a taste of what it's like here.

Yea that is exactly the point. Ragland would fetch nothing of value and is cheap for the next 3 years. Preston has enough on tape he might fetch you a similar below middle of the league starting calibre (but possible to improve) safety and is a free agent in a year. If you are going to trade one or the other you trade Preston.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't think he's good enough in coverage to hang with a lot of the elite TE's in the league, but I think he has some abilities as an edge rusher that might translate to the sam spot.

He's a prototypical mike though, he attacks his gaps and hits hard. Honestly it's not a bad problem to have a guy who might fit both. I think his intangibles will translate to what the coaches want to see out of their mike.

I agree I think he is a MIKE in the defense, but one that comes off the field in Obvious passing downs and that is not an issue if you re-sign Brown who will slide to the MIKE in Nickle

The thing is, if you are talking about an Eagles trade, I am seeing very little that you would want to get back in return. They did get an extra 4th for Bradford (which I still contend that despite all the local grumbling, a trade of Bradford for the #14 pick and a fourth looks ludicrously good right now) but there's no way they are giving us anything close to equivalent of what we spent on Ragland. In fact, they are shopping LBs right now.

I don't think there are any. Which is good, because I was a noob once. And I just made myself sad realizing that was 8.5 years ago. Womp womp.

I think he's gotten a taste of what it's like here.

some of your first posts I actually remember. You came in gun ho like all of us, to day the least

Yea that is exactly the point. Ragland would fetch nothing of value and is cheap for the next 3 years. Preston has enough on tape he might fetch you a similar below middle of the league starting calibre (but possible to improve) safety and is a free agent in a year. If you are going to trade one or the other you trade Preston.

been say in this since we got Ragland. Brown is of better use as traded. I like him but h has no value in rex's systm or this one.

And a safety of that calibre can fill a role on social teams - impotan factor. A starting special steamer that is a solid backup safety isn't bad

I can't for the life of me see why people want to trade Rags. He will fetch no value right now coming off injury as its no where close to the same scenario as Kiko was. This isnt Madden on Xbox, you can't just make lopsided trades. Plus, there were all kinds of positive reviews coming out about him prior to the injury, was a first round graded talent who slipped to the 2nd, and defense is our weakest side of the ball...plus we will never get back what we invested in him right now.

There is zero probability of this trade happening as it doesn't make sense for us and wouldn't make sense for any team to offer us anything that would make it worth it. Logic and sense is devoid in this speculative move from both sides of a potential trade. Might as well speculate on how we might trade TT for 2 first round picks which also isnt going to happen.