trade Ragland for more mobile LB or safety

Commish

no. Ragland only good at slb. It he is playing mlb than this system will be a lot different than he ran in Carolina.

Having Gilmore back anything is possoble

I guess the other thread we are in isn't enough. Jeesh, right?

Brown is who I trade

Trade Ragland is a more shocking headline than roster change. :D

Some guys don't read existing top threads on the forum before posting their own I guess.

No biggie though. We can handle a couple linebacker threads. There are like a million or so Tyrod threads - of which about 8 are still active.

Brown is who I trade

don't trade a rookie. Ever.

Trade brown. Get a backup safety after the draft. Or a draft pick before

I think most people agree with this. Silly to trade Ragland considering what you have up to get him and considering you invested a year in him on the bench already.

We know what we have with Preston Brown and we know what his upside likely is. We also know what Preston Brown's weaknesses are. We have an idea that Ragland will probably be pretty good and we don't know how high is potential is yet. Therefore, at this point Ragland is more of a keeper than Preston Brown. Unless the coaches know that Ragland is now broken because of that injury and it just isn't common knowledge yet.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. Ragland only good at slb. It he is playing mlb than this system will be a lot different than he ran in Carolina.

Having Gilmore back anything is possoble

I guess the other thread we are in isn't enough. Jeesh, right?

Brown is who I trade

don't trade a rookie. Ever.

Trade brown. Get a backup safety after the draft. Or a draft pick before

I think he can probably play Mike, but i'd agree he's better suited to the SAM. He has some edge rushing ability, and would fit nicely next to Shaq lawson.

But part of me thinks Ragland making checks and calls would be better than brown, as he was a starting Mike on the best defense in college. So part of me would rather sacrifice some speed/pass rush ability for stronger communication. Ragland also attacks his gaps well and thumps people.

New coach/new slate though - so i trust them to find a good spot for him.

Keep him! He is going to be very good! Why can't he "fit" here?

I don't think he has the speed to play all 3 downs in this defense. However I don't need him to specially if Brown is re-signed. Ragland will come off the field in obvious passing downs

I think Ragland was originally a ILB on a 3-4 Alabama team. I was looking at what Chris Trapasso had up at Buffalo Rumblings about personnel fit. It looks like MLB and SLB kind of shift based on whether they are doing 4-3 over or under.

He's definitely not a WLB (why they are going after Zach allegedly) but I can see him as a kind of a S/MLB hybridge on those packages.

He looked fast and good in coverage in camp last year, before he got hurt.

Yeah, I never understood that knock on him. I can kind of see him in a Luke K. role.

I think Ragland was originally a ILB on a 3-4 Alabama team. I was looking at what Chris Trapasso had up at Buffalo Rumblings about personnel fit. It looks like MLB and SLB kind of shift based on whether they are doing 4-3 over or under.

He's definitely not a WLB (why they are going after Zach allegedly) but I can see him as a kind of a S/MLB hybridge on those packages.

Yeah, I never understood that knock on him. I can kind of see him in a Luke K. role.

in that hybrid mob position Lorenzo Alexander is ideal.

He looked fast and good in coverage in camp last year, before he got hurt.

its probably a bit of tired statement because I've heard it so many times but until you see keuchly in person you just have no idea how dynamic he is. He is everywhere he needs to be every time. His instincts to the pass are best matched to Byrd during his top year here in buffalo and like takeo spikes on the run. He amazed me when I saw him in person

I cannot he is no were the athlete Luke K is. He has stiff hips and when faced with speed will be taken off the field. Look at the National Championship. And that was before the Knee injury

Edited by MAJBobby

Any reason the Bills couldn't trade Ragland who - many say - is not a great fit in McDermott's defense - for a more mobile LB, or a safety. Should be a good player in the right system, and cheap as well under the rookie contract.

You haven't seen the guy play and now you want to deal him.

I cannot he is no were the athlete Luke K is. He has stiff hips and when faced with speed will be taken off the field. Look at the National Championship. And that was before the Knee injury

I don't think he's good enough in coverage to hang with a lot of the elite TE's in the league, but I think he has some abilities as an edge rusher that might translate to the sam spot.

He's a prototypical mike though, he attacks his gaps and hits hard. Honestly it's not a bad problem to have a guy who might fit both. I think his intangibles will translate to what the coaches want to see out of their mike.