Whaley wants Cardale to be 2017 starter

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Cardale was not ready (and it showed) to be a starting QB week 17 how can we expect him to be ready week 1?

Im not expecting him to start, nor do I believe Vic's report, but: new coaching staff, better development, a full year in the league to learn, etc. I dunno.

If Cardale was not ready (and it showed) to be a starting QB week 17 how can we expect him to be ready week 1?

With our schedule and our roster ... and throw a rookie coach into the mix, while we're at it ... how can we expect to be above .500 by keeping Tyrod? What's the point? We're going to spend $30 million on a few more nearly certain losing seasons. I don't get it. Why not spend significantly less and get a better draft pick?

Because nowadays the general QB play across the NFL is pretty stinky. You have a small handful of elite QBs, and then a bunch of just guys. Calling him "above average" doesnt refer to his place in NFL history, but rather comparing him to the current state of QB play in the entire league. With that, yes, it could be argued that TT is on the better side of average.

I very respectfully disagree.

:lol: literally laughed out loud

I like Cardale but DW has been a big part of a front office that has missed on guys like Russell Wilson, David Carr and Dak Prescott......passed right under his nose....but he trusts his eyes on Cardale? Hmmm :flirt::lol:

If they weren't good enough, imagine how good cardale must be

Cardale should have started the final few games of the season. But Ryan felt his best chance of winning and not getting fired was to go with experience. So everyone lost out because of that phony.

Truth ... to an extent. I think it was responsible to give EJ a final look. But I think that final look should have come in about week 9 or 10. Then, once it was clear (and it would have been) that EJ was toast, it should have been Cardale time.

Last season was over after week 2.

And I'm not suggesting that the Bills should try to tank the season next year.

I just don't see why they would invest in a QB who isn't good enough to lead the team to anything more than a .500-ish season.

I don't know if Cardale will start next year. I have serious doubts. But throwing Taylor out there means more of the same crap. It has to be someone else.

Edited by Gugny

First it was EJ, now it's Cardelle. Jones maybe a good backup now, but he is still learning. This Whaley, he has to have his guy in there not Rex's guy, that's been the way since day one. Mc Dermott you better wake up, he will be the same way with you. Why mr Pegula doesn't see this is beyond me. Good luck Buffalo you are going to need it.

Shirley you can't be serious.

Whaley was a team player and flushed this year's entire draft down the crapper to take bad players that could only conceivably work in the mind of Rex and his antiquated D but it is somehow Whaley forcing his hand down Rex's throat? Geez Louise.

i do agree that tyrod taylor is probably an above average nfl starter with all things considered. if you factor in the enormous threat of his running and the ability to not turn the ball over, he can definitely make an offense reasonably producitve enough to make the playoffs with a good defense

however, his style of play simply will not last. the grand total of qbs that have been able to be reliably productive by leveraging their running skills as an emphasis is exactly zero. every single one of them has been forced to become primarily a pocket passer bc they inevitably get injured and cant run as well. most of them fail when they get to that point, just make a list and it gets long really fast. their teams generally have no better option but to have them keep playing from the pocket, so their either sink or swim, and its usually sink

so if we could wave a magic wand and say tyrod will always be available for at least fourteen games a season and will always be able to rush effectively, then yeah he would be a pretty decent option. but you might as well have the tooth fairy play quarterback if you think thats going to happen

tyrod cant make the critical throws that a franchise qb has to make to win games on a consistent basis. thats why the team is balking. they would need him to transform himself like russell wilson, but im afraid tyrods ceiling in that regard is probably more like mike vick - just simply not good enough as a passer

I do agree that his style of play will likely keep his window of effectiveness smaller......that's why you want to be able to get out of the contract in a couple years.

He plays all the games......as Taylor would have this year......but Russell Wilsons trajectory dropped off in year 5 after 4 seasons of 45+ sacks and 120+ carries which aren't far off from Taylor's numbers.

Remains to be seen if that's permanent but it would be amazing if he can continue to take that kind of abuse and play at a franchise QB level for 10 years even.......let alone the 15 or so that guys like Rodgers will.

Ha ha, you are hilarious. I love that you still believe this. We also saw the largest crowd ever at an inauguration - period.

Gug had his moment of doubt about EJ after the Jets game. I guess he's over that now. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Gug had his moment of doubt about EJ after the Jets game. I guess he's over that now.

I still think EJ is no good. I just still think Taylor is also no good. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept. We have two proven crappy QBs and one unknown. It's really that simple.

Yes because those QBs are a dime a dozen.

Look for a QB like that WHILE you have TT on your roster. What is so incomprehensible about this? You can afford TT plus another rookie QBs salary on your roster.

Is he the answer? What does that even mean? You can win with Tyrod given the right pieces around him such as a defense that doesn't blow and another weapon outisde of Sammy, IMO.

The defense will take a major step back next year in terms of talent level if we keep tyrod. That's the problem with keeping him. Salary cap. Keep tyrod and we'll lose more players than we will if let him go. We have 24 free agents......most of which will want more money. Some will want a LOT more. Cutting tyrod is addition by subtraction. Subtract TT and add 20 mill in free agents. Free agents that will be there to help whoever the future qb is. Whether it be cardale or 2018 1st rd pick. TT gets us to 5-9 wins next year (tough schedule) and probably out of the playoffs again. If we happen to make the playoffs, we're likely eliminated early. They're trying to build a long term foundation of winning. That is easier when you have a qb on a rookie contract rather than having to pay an average qb 20 mill a year. Tyrod is likely what we've seen so far and unlikely to progress to the next tier of QBs. He's going to need an elite defense to have a slight chance to win a title, which is the goal. Building an elite defense isn't so easy when you pay an average QB big money.

Start building the d this offseason via the draft and with the money saved on TTs contract. Start cardale and suck. Draft the QB you want next year and said qb has more pieces to work with than TT would've had plus a higher upside and chance to be THE GUY. If you think TT can be THE GUY, good for you. You're living in fantasy land imo. He's ok. Nothing more. We read all the time that we've been in qb purgatory since JK retired. It's true. We're still in QB purgatory. "TT is the best qb we've had since JK" is all I see. I agree with that statement.....but that doesn't mean he's good. It's time we get someone who is instead of settling (and paying) for an average qb just because he's the best we've had. if the FO doesn't think any of this years eligible QBs are THE GUY, then the plan must be to grab a QB next year. Starting cardale for a year will only help us in that pursuit.

Some think that's a losers mentality and teams with losers mentality will always stink. We haven't gone down that road before and look where we are. Still without a qb and still not a contender. I'll be happy with whatever choice they make as long as they pick a definite direction. If we keep tyrod, next year will be more enjoyable. If they cut him and go with cardale, next year will suck.....but we might be able to secure THE GUY as a result. Catch 22. Just hope we make the right decisions. No one here knows if either direction is the right direction. We can only hope and cheer on our boys in their pursuit for building a consistent winner

It's time to tank.

Spending significant money on a QB who can't help the team win more than 8 games is a waste of time and money.

Throw Cardale in there. Hope for the best, but gladly accept the worst.

This makes Whaley smart, in my opinion.

Truth ... to an extent. I think it was responsible to give EJ a final look. But I think that final look should have come in about week 9 or 10. Then, once it was clear (and it would have been) that EJ was toast, it should have been Cardale time.

Last season was over after week 2.

And I'm not suggesting that the Bills should try to tank the season next year.

I just don't see why they would invest in a QB who isn't good enough to lead the team to anything more than a .500-ish season.

I don't know if Cardale will start next year. I have serious doubts. But throwing Taylor out there means more of the same crap. It has to be someone else.

Make up your mind Mr Gugny. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by PolishDave

May I point out C.Jones started late in the third quarter of an, already lost game on a team that had mailed it in.

I'm not saying he looked good but basing your perception of him on :

- That game

- The opinion of the previous coaching staff ,is silly.

I don't know who he is or can be but I think his ceiling is much higher than TT and on the job training is how the starters in this league learn.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

May I point out C.Jones started late in the third quarter of an, already lost game on a team that had mailed it in.

I'm not saying he looked good but basing your perception of him on :

- That game

- The opinion of the previous coaching staff ,is silly.

I don't know who he is or can be but I think his ceiling is much higher than TT and on the job training is how the starters in this league learn.

I base my opinion on the fact that everyone from coaches to management have said that Cardale is still a project. Going into week 17 he wasnt even active. And the Bills were playing a team that had mailed it in 6 weeks ago in the Jets. We werent playing the Seahawks.

Make up your mind Mr Gugny. :lol::lol::lol:

Hope for the best and gladly accept the worst. That's not endorsing tanking. I don't want them to try to lose games. I just don't want them to pay $30 million dollars to lose games.

I love fake outrage in the morning.

Vic just said 2 days ago it was up to mcdermott.

I think the title of this thread is a stretch based on what the article actually says. That said, I wouldn't doubt that he wants the QB he drafted to start if he's ready. I would rather see him play than more TT running around too.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if it's more pro-TT or anti-Cardale...But I do know that most of my close friends are Cowboys fans...And they were running for the closest/highest bridge when Romo went down and Dak was forced in last year...

That's not to say Cardale will have the success Dak did...It is absolutely to say that most Bills fans have no clue what Cardale will do when given the chance... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I still think EJ is no good. I just still think Taylor is also no good. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept. We have two proven crappy QBs and one unknown. It's really that simple.

Because you think EJ-bad is the same as Tyrod-bad. You are way past thoughtful analysis. Now you are seeking revenge for your broken heart.

Because you think EJ-bad is the same as Tyrod-bad. You are way past thoughtful analysis. Now you are seeking revenge for your broken heart.

I think you've got it all wrong, Dr. Phil.

I do think that EJ and Tyrod are very close. But Tyrod is better. I think that's a more popular opinion than you might think.

The GM doesn't pick the QB who starts....that prevents Whaley from making that decision. Cardale is a specimen for sure, but, not sure he has it mentally. And, all the coaches who helped tutor him this past season are gone......new staff will be starting over with Cardale. I wonder how much he really learned. The fact he was reported to have watched at least one Ohio State football game in full uniform tells me maturity isn't his strong point. Letting TT walk might do two things for Whaley....eliminates a competent QB from the competition...thus giving Cardale a better shot. And, of course, it lightens up the major cap problem a lot. I have to say I am really tired of Whaley advocating for "his" guy.....TT not being "his" (REX's) I say the new HC gets the final word on starting QB....and I am going to be real surprised if Cardale gets the nod.

Whaley did arrange to have EJ "audition" for the QB job at the last Jets game........we all saw how that turned out....EJ gone......Bills need to picup 2 QB's if TT is let go. And, I don't want a rookie backing up the starter. MAYBE Cardale is the backup this year, but who is going to start if TT is let go?

Edited by bigK14094