Buffalo had higher TV rating for SB than Boston and Atlanta

YoloinOhio

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/2/7/14525202/super-bowl-ratings-buffalo-outshines-boston-atlanta-tom-brady

#2 market behind Pittsburgh

Atlanta was third, Boston not in top 5

That's crazy

These types of things are always misleading.

Market size has to do with it.

Also the number of Falcons and Pats fans at the game.

Metro Buffalo - 1,135,509 * .572 = 649,000

Metro Atlanta - 5,490,000 * .57 = 3,129,300

Metro Boston - 4,628,910 * .5 = 2,314,555

So here's my question:

I imagine the amount of Super Bowl parties is dramatically higher in Boston and Atlanta, so if 15-20 people get together at one spot and leave their TVs off at home, how does that play into this number? Not to mention I imagine the bars in those cities are much more busy than in other places that night.

These types of things are always misleading.

Market size has to do with it.

Also the number of Falcons and Pats fans at the game.

Metro Buffalo - 1,135,509 * .572 = 649,000

Metro Atlanta - 5,490,000 * .57 = 3,129,300

Metro Boston - 4,628,910 * .5 = 2,314,555

So you're saying most of Boston was at the game therefor the tv market was much smaller during the SB? That makes sense

So here's my question:

I imagine the amount of Super Bowl parties is dramatically higher in Boston and Atlanta, so if 15-20 people get together at one spot and leave their TVs off at home, how does that play into this number? Not to mention I imagine the bars in those cities are much more busy than in other places that night.

Great point.

And I can also tell which way you lean politically because you are smart/wise enough to see/think something like this when you are presented with a statistic. Good on you mate. :thumbsup:

So you're saying most of Boston was at the game therefor the tv market was much smaller during the SB? That makes sense

Did you see the stands after they won? The stadium was still practically full! The Pats played a home game in the SB. The Falcon fans should be ashamed of that. But as someone else said a lot more parties in these cities. Also it's the NEW ENGLAND Patriots they have not been the Boston Patriots for what now 50 years or so?

Living in Pittsburgh and being a Bills and Penguins fan, I can personally attest that the best sports fans are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The Bills by FAR have the best football fans. No other fanbase would support the NFL or football with the playoff drought the Bills have. Not only that, but Bills fans are generally among the most knowledgeable fans I have encountered regarding what goes on around the NFL.

always scares me when I see Buffalo at top of TV ratings for every dang sports event ...feeds into the "nothing else/better to do" , especially for events where we ain't got a dog in the fight.

no I think it just shows interest level. Cbus always has one of the highest cfb ratings because that's what this area loves. Plus it's SB Sunday - what else are people doing?

Did you see the stands after they won? The stadium was still practically full! The Pats played a home game in the SB. The Falcon fans should be ashamed of that. But as someone else said a lot more parties in these cities. Also it's the NEW ENGLAND Patriots they have not been the Boston Patriots for what now 50 years or so?

Pats have grown their bandwagon fan base by a ton, both in New England and across the nation. Rightly so based on an unbelievable 17 year run. But mu guess is the majority of folks there in the stands were not from NE per se, but from across the country.

Can't wait to see the dropoff in attendance and TV when Tommy goes...can already see on the majority of Pats fan boards"when Tommy goes i am done with the NFL" .

Think I heard on the TV there were "hundreds" who met their buses when they arrived home. Hundreds.

Pats have grown their bandwagon fan base by a ton, both in New England and across the nation. Rightly so based on an unbelievable 17 year run. But mu guess is the majority of folks there in the stands were not from NE per se, but from across the country.

Can't wait to see the dropoff in attendance and TV when Tommy goes...can already see on the majority of Pats fan boards"when Tommy goes i am done with the NFL" .

Think I heard on the TV there were "hundreds" who met their buses when they arrived home. Hundreds.

I think the fan base has grown from TB12 and BB. Just like the Bills fan base grew with Kelly and Levy. When they leave the bandwagon fans will leave but a lot will stay as they are now fans. (I became a fan in 1986 with Eason and the Pats squishing the fish and then getting stomped by the Bears. i remained a fan even threw the Ron Rustvyears God did he suck!)

Never did I say that.

just that even though Buffalo has a higher % there are 4-5+ times the number of people watching the games in the other markets.

I know here in Atlanta several places held massive Superbowl parties. Like I said these posts are misleading.

Keep in mind. Atlanta is the Falcons fanbase. Not Georgia. People in Georgia and surrounding states care more about the SEC than the falcons. They aren't willing to spend two grand on an NFL ticket. Falcons fanbase is definitely small and not a very passionate one in comparison to others