Buffalo had higher TV rating for SB than Boston and Atlanta

YoloinOhio

Wow. Off the top of my head they have NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB teams. Fantastic seafood. Considerably more and better dining if you prefer that to wings, pizza, and beef on weck. Very good theater. More historical sites than I can count. Museums etc. Countless bars (high and low brow), clubs, high end shopping ... I mean Buffalo is not without it's blue collar charms, but Boston is a big city on the coast for Pete's sake.

I'm a history buff and love museums, but how many people are really hanging out at museums and historical sites on a Sunday evening who would be watching football? Boston might have "more to do" than Buffalo but how many people are actually doing those things on a Sunday evening where it prevented them from watching the Super Bowl? I'm a history buff but if you live somewhere with historical sites you don't think much about them after a while. The average person doesn't spend much time at historical sites and museums. Not enough to take away from watching the Super Bowl. As far as theater goes Buffalo has some pretty good theaters too, but once again this is a very special niche. The majority of Americans aren't into theater. The majority of Americans are into drinking and watching sports. Buffalo just happens to be better at it than anyone else. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head, Buffalo is 10X the party city that that place is. That places is so overrated for partying. Closing time is 1AM. A lot of places close earlier. Once I was in a bar when a fight happened, so they closed the bar. Here nobody would blink an eye.

They do have more sports teams, and historical places - how many times are you going to go to the boring Old North Church, though. Probably less times than we go to the awesome Niagara Falls.

They have food and theater. We have food and theater. \

And, as has been pointed out - how many of these are you going to be doing on Sunday afternoon. (Well, not you personally - since you squeeze the whole game into 45 minutes at dinner time, but a normal person who likes to have fun and knows football isn't just about the plays, but about community, camaraderie, etc.)

Meant to say they have two more sports teams.

Since I had already said "after baseball season"

Agreed. I greatly enjoy history, but I'm certainly not a theater guy. With that said, let's be honest do more Americans enjoy partying or visiting historical sites and theaters? The answer is clearly the former. More people enjoy drinking/partying than visiting museums, historical sites, theater etc. In no way am I insulting those things, I'm just stating a fact that most people enjoy simple activities over high brow entertainment regardless of what their city may have to offer. Lots of people move to places like NYC or hipster enclaves like Asheville NC to enjoy high brow activities. These people don't make a majority of the population though. They aren't likely to be the kind of people who'd be watching football anyway. No one woke up in Boston heavily conflicted whether they'd go see a Shakespere play or watch the Super Bowl. If they chose the play it means they don't care much about the big game. More people in Buffalo cared about the game. It's just the kind of place it is.

Off the top of my head, Buffalo is 10X the party city that that place is. That places is so overrated for partying. Closing time is 1AM. A lot of places close earlier. Once I was in a bar when a fight happened, so they closed the bar. Here nobody would blink an eye.

They do have more sports teams, and historical places - how many times are you going to go to the boring Old North Church, though. Probably less times than we go to the awesome Niagara Falls.

They have food and theater. We have food and theater. \

And, as has been pointed out - how many of these are you going to be doing on Sunday afternoon. (Well, not you personally - since you squeeze the whole game into 45 minutes at dinner time, but a normal person who likes to have fun and knows football isn't just about the plays, but about community, camaraderie, etc.)

Meant to say they have two more sports teams.

Since I had already said "after baseball season"

I dont think this is something to gloat about.....

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/2/7/14525202/super-bowl-ratings-buffalo-outshines-boston-atlanta-tom-brady

#2 market behind Pittsburgh

Atlanta was third, Boston not in top 5

That's crazy

Interesting especially considering I kept hearing that the Falcons hardly have any fans.

As far as Boston not being in the top 5, it makes me wonder if Pats fans truly do come from the Boston area or if they are mostly bandwagoners around the country.

I'm a history buff and love museums, but how many people are really hanging out at museums and historical sites on a Sunday evening who would be watching football? Boston might have "more to do" than Buffalo but how many people are actually doing those things on a Sunday evening where it prevented them from watching the Super Bowl? I'm a history buff but if you live somewhere with historical sites you don't think much about them after a while. The average person doesn't spend much time at historical sites and museums. Not enough to take away from watching the Super Bowl. As far as theater goes Buffalo has some pretty good theaters too, but once again this is a very special niche. The majority of Americans aren't into theater. The majority of Americans are into drinking and watching sports. Buffalo just happens to be better at it than anyone else.

I can't imagine anyone outside of buffalo even cares about this.

I didn't say they do. I just meant that more people in Buffalo were into watching the Super Bowl. I doubt it's because everyone elsewhere was at a theater or taking in culture. They more likely chose simply not to watch.

right. Who goes to the theater or a museum on SB Sunday? I guess some people might but no one I've ever met!

Agreed. I greatly enjoy history, but I'm certainly not a theater guy. With that said, let's be honest do more Americans enjoy partying or visiting historical sites and theaters? The answer is clearly the former. More people enjoy drinking/partying than visiting museums, historical sites, theater etc. In no way am I insulting those things, I'm just stating a fact that most people enjoy simple activities over high brow entertainment regardless of what their city may have to offer. Lots of people move to places like NYC or hipster enclaves like Asheville NC to enjoy high brow activities. These people don't make a majority of the population though. They aren't likely to be the kind of people who'd be watching football anyway. No one woke up in Boston heavily conflicted whether they'd go see a Shakespere play or watch the Super Bowl. If they chose the play it means they don't care much about the big game. More people in Buffalo cared about the game. It's just the kind of place it is.

One of the most fun four day weekends of my life was when we went to DC my senior year in college. We partied hard every night, but then got up and did every historical place you could. I'm a history buff, too (Ford's Theater was my favorite - other than getting passes from Sen. Lowell Weicker's unreal hot secretary to do something in the Capital). We also went to a USFL game, and a Syracuse-Georgetown game (Pearl vs. Ewing).

Could never swing that energy anymore. But, the thing is my friend who lived there who was the "tour guide" - I'm sure he's been to these places maybe 10 times since (well, not the Capital because he works there now) - when friends come into town.

Just like we do with Niagara Falls.

Other than NYC, there isn't "too much to do" to keep you from being a football fan in any of these places.

And, whether you're eating Maine lobsters or chicken wings - you're probably spending the same amount of time on eating.

watch football with us. If it's not football season, we all hang out and watch old buckeye games on DVR.

/S

Well, I guess the cows can't hang out at Chik-fil-A on Sundays, and they don't have TV's so.... this is very enlightening. (Maybe you could help them with their penmanship and spelling during commercials?)

What do cows do all weekend? :)

this past weekend they mostly ate up atop the house. They hung behind the barn a little bit. The nice weather, though, they went on the back hill to enjoy the heat for most of the days. A few of them went and hung in the shade.

For the most part they didn't do anything special.

Was there a particular event you were wondering about? Sunday night they were making a lot of noise, but I think that was just due to a the moon being out