Buffalo had higher TV rating for SB than Boston and Atlanta

YoloinOhio

The number is a percentage, so people who claim those cities populations impact it don't understand how this works. I'm sure that big parties in Atlanta and Boston did impact their numbers. I think that even they didn't have parties those wouldn't be ahead of Buffalo by a lot. Pittsburgh and Buffalo are real pro football cities. Atlanta doesn't care, and Boston discovered football existed when the Pats started winning titles. People who don't believe this don't understand the kind of cities of Atlanta and Boston are. For what it's worth Atlanta and Boston also have a far greater foreign born percentage of their population as well. Many of these people couldn't care less about the Super Bowl. Cities like Pittsburgh and Buffalo are more salt of the earth cities. This is where football thrives. This where the type of people who want to sit down and drink a beer and spend time with family live.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fan base has grown from TB12 and BB. Just like the Bills fan base grew with Kelly and Levy. When they leave the bandwagon fans will leave but a lot will stay as they are now fans. (I became a fan in 1986 with Eason and the Pats squishing the fish and then getting stomped by the Bears. i remained a fan even threw the Ron Rustvyears God did he suck!)

I don't doubt you, but I am pretty sure every Patriots fan now says, "I was a fan way back when..."

So here's my question:

I imagine the amount of Super Bowl parties is dramatically higher in Boston and Atlanta, so if 15-20 people get together at one spot and leave their TVs off at home, how does that play into this number? Not to mention I imagine the bars in those cities are much more busy than in other places that night.

This is a good question and something that the ratings people have been struggling with for years. I suspect that bars in Boston were packed in ways that Buffalo's weren't.

This is a good question and something that the ratings people have been struggling with for years. I suspect that bars in Boston were packed in ways that Buffalo's weren't.

Could be just me, but I am not watching the Super Bowl involving my team in a crowded bar or even at a big party, where my attention is not focused 100% on the game.

The Bills by FAR have the best football fans. No other fanbase would support the NFL or football with the playoff drought the Bills have.

Some consider that to be a good thing and a badge of honor as it appears you do. While others see it as a big part of the problem and a badge of shame.

Could be just me, but I am not watching the Super Bowl involving my team in a crowded bar or even at a big party, where my attention is not focused 100% on the game.

Small party with all Bills fans is how I watched in the 90's. Was great .... well except for the games.

So here's my question:

I imagine the amount of Super Bowl parties is dramatically higher in Boston and Atlanta, so if 15-20 people get together at one spot and leave their TVs off at home, how does that play into this number? Not to mention I imagine the bars in those cities are much more busy than in other places that night.

Do you know lots of folks in Buffalo that only have SB parties when we're in it?

Do you know lots of folks in Buffalo that only have SB parties when we're in it?

Great post. I find it amusing that so many posters think that people in Buffalo would shy away from throwing an party because our team wasn't in it. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest party days. It's not limited to the cities with the participants. I thought that this was common knowledge.

Great post. I find it amusing that so many posters think that people in Buffalo would shy away from throwing an party because our team wasn't in it. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest party days. It's not limited to the cities with the participants. I thought that this was common knowledge.

i too think there are more parties when your team isn't in it. I don't want to entertain or talk to anyone when my team is playing a big game. I prefer torture in isolation.

I don't doubt you, but I am pretty sure every Patriots fan now says, "I was a fan way back when..."

A lot do, but I think everyone has a story how THEY became a fan. I kinda remember the song for the Pats in 86 (made me laugh) was a twist of "leader of the pack (Pats)" and was about the HC and players.. hmm if Tippett had BB as his DC I bet dollars to donuts he been a first ballot HOFer. He was so misused by the team.

Yes, I've never watched a Bills game in a bar. I know from watching other games at a bar that I'd hate it. I used to watch most Monday night games at a bar, and I'd leave feeling like I had no clue what happened. There are too many distractions, it's too loud, and I just can't pay attention to the game. The game becomes secondary to everything else. I like being able to focus on the Bills game so I know who is going to blamed on TBD.

Some consider that to be a good thing and a badge of honor as it appears you do. While others see it as a big part of the problem and a badge of shame.

Small party with all Bills fans is how I watched in the 90's. Was great .... well except for the games.

I started out watching those games at parties, but by the fourth one I was watching the game only with my wife with the shades pulled down and self-consciously remaining in my pajamas all day.

This. Also, I'm not a fan of crying in front of a room full of people.

Sabres remain atop local television ratings

For a second straight season, the Buffalo Sabres remain as the top-rated National Hockey League team in the local television ratings in the United States.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-remain-atop-local-television-ratings/23008832

great sports fans in WNY

Columbus has only a 1.97 rating (and that's up 110% this year because they're good for once)

These types of things are always misleading.

Market size has to do with it.

Also the number of Falcons and Pats fans at the game.

Metro Buffalo - 1,135,509 * .572 = 649,000

Metro Atlanta - 5,490,000 * .57 = 3,129,300

Metro Boston - 4,628,910 * .5 = 2,314,555

Not misleading... It shows exactly what you just posted with the numbers. That not as many people in Boston watched.

These types of things are always misleading.

Market size has to do with it.

Also the number of Falcons and Pats fans at the game.

Metro Buffalo - 1,135,509 * .572 = 649,000

Metro Atlanta - 5,490,000 * .57 = 3,129,300

Metro Boston - 4,628,910 * .5 = 2,314,555

What difference does it make, its a percentage of people...its not like over 1 million people is a small sample size like if we were looking at a town of 30,000 or something

Columbus has only a 1.97 rating (and that's up 110% this year because they're good for once)

If it isn't Ohio State related or Cincinnati Reds related, they don't care...I lived there for 6 years and reveled when Ohio State lost

Edited by matter2003

always scares me when I see Buffalo at top of TV ratings for every dang sports event ...feeds into the "nothing else/better to do" , especially for events where we ain't got a dog in the fight.

Does viewing from the bar or bowling alley count?

This thread shows me that many people here never paid attention in their statistics class back in HS.

I JUST posted on my college hoops board that Stats was in a tight race with Theology for the worst college course ever. So......yep