Rename the Lombardi Trophy

If the Pats win the SB tomortow Would people be opposed to renaming the Lombardi Trophy to the BelichickTrophy down the line? Not anytime soon but once Belichick retires and some time passes.

When its all said and done he'll be the most successful HC ever. Added significance to his accomplishments is the fact that the large majority of this took place in the modern era where salary caps can signigicantly hamper teams.

Edited by bobobonators

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I wasnt trolling, it was a serious question. 15yrs down the line Belichick will be in the HOF and will easily be regarded as the best ever. I actually heard the topic on a local sports radio station.

I agree with person above, either keep Lombardi or just give it a generic name.

LOL. I wasnt trolling, it was a serious question. 15yrs down the line Belichick will be in the HOF and will easily be regarded as the best ever. I actually heard the topic on a local sports radio station.

I agree with person above, either keep Lombardi or just give it a generic name.

I don't think a coach can be called the best ever if he happens to have the best ever QB on his team all these years. It's the Barry Switzer factor: you can be mediocre as a coach and still win championships.

Belichicks defense is good this year but traditionally he's a middle of the road ranking and they draft heavy defense most years. Outcoached against Denver last year in AFC championship game, Last trophy they won was because Pete Carroll (also way overrated) decided to pass at the 1 yd line.

Best two head coaches today are Reid and Arians.

Most overrated Tomlin, Belicheat, and Pete the weenie.

No. Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time but the NBA didn't switch their logo of Jerry West to the iconic Air Jordan pose, Nor should they!

You don't mess with history or tradition no matter what happens down the line. It's about paying homage to the pioneers of the sport. Lombardi's legacy will live on forever

Lombardi died tragically while coaching the Redskins. I think that's the big reason they have the name.

Best coach in history? Paul Brown. Built two NFL teams from scratch. Advanced the league in professionalism and a lot of the tradition, like weekly schedules, breaking down tape, rules and even equipment come from him. He also transcended the game and uplifted the society around him by fighting against segregation. A lot of the league today is taken directly from Paul Brown.

Bellichek wins but at the expense of the game. Kicking the ball to stop Kelly's no-huddle, or teaching how to hold without the refs seeing, or changing eligible wide receivers. When he got there, the NFL was fun. Exciting games almost every week. After he's done with it, it's boring television filled with spoiled players looking at refs asking for a flag.

If the Pats win the SB tomortow Would people be opposed to renaming the Lombardi Trophy to the BelichickTrophy down the line? Not anytime soon but once Belichick retires and some time passes.

When its all said and done he'll be the most successful HC ever. Added significance to his accomplishments is the fact that the large majority of this took place in the modern era where salary caps can signigicantly hamper teams.

Lombardi won five NFL titles. In seven years. And more, the titles included the first two Super Bowls and the NFL title the year before that. That's a lot of the reason they named the trophy after him.

Belichick's record is incredibly impressive, but he won, what, Super Bowls 36, 38, 39 and 44. That's not as romantic as #1 and #2.

Can't see it happening.

Dude...

You just threw a grenade into the men's room and slammed the door. :D:D:lol:

Not a chance. Lombardi won the first two Super Bowls and it should stay as is. Belichick's accomplishments, like it or not, come with the cheating stigma attached.

Perhaps for an AFC Championship trophy... they've already won that 8 times in the last 15 years... ridiculous. But no, not renaming the Lombardi.

Nope. It should stay the Lamar Hunt trophy. Kansas City was the first AFL/AFC participant in the Super Bowl and Hunt was the most influential AFL owner. He was also instrumental in the AFL/NFL merger. The NFL screws with its game all the time and doesn't have the cherished stats of MLB but this is one of the few things that they have continued to get right.