is rex the biggest douche bag coach ever?

nuklz2594

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think rex wanted to be a football coach with a sense of humor. and i think he genuinely cared about his players. he may have even valued them as people more than as players. i think he liked to have fun and he didn't take himself too seriously. and none of those things are necessarily conducive to a long career if you are not winning superbowls.

eh, i thought he was just lazy and dumb.

But but, he was going to take the Bills to the playoffs, I packed my bags and everything! The Pegulas obviously thought that too or they would have not guaranteed him all 5 years of money! How could he turn out to be a douche if the Bills owners and fans liked him so much?

Edited by CodeMonkey

eh, i thought he was just lazy and dumb.

i don't really think he was either of those. i just don't think he was an eat, sleep, breathe football kinda guy. i think he was a bit of a coaching diva, and i think he was really set in his ways. but i think he is also a guy i would love to close a bar with.

i don't really think he was either of those. i just don't think he was an eat, sleep, breathe football kinda guy. i think he was a bit of a coaching diva, and i think he was really set in his ways. but i think he is also a guy i would love to close a bar with.

i would like to spend exactly zero seconds with him socially since he seems like the ultimate man-child. i would much rather go to a speakeasy with marv where we would have a whoopee sipping on bee's knees 'til we're zozzled, flirting with a couple o' smarties and dancing the charleston all night like a couple o' regular dewdroppers.

Not even close.

December 17th, 1989: Houston at Cinci. The Bengals are a long shot for the playoffs, Houston a win away from winning the division. Side note: Bengals coach Sam Wyche and Oilers coach Jerry Glanville hate each other. How much?

Bengals are up 45-0 in the fourth quarter. Sam Wyche calls for an onside kick, recovers. Bengals end up scoring on a midfield pass on 4th down. Next Bengals series, Wyche calls a fake reverse/halfback option pass and scores. And finally, at the end of the game and Bengals with the ball, Wyche calls a time out to kick a last-second field goal. Bengals win, 61-7, just because Wyche wanted to run up the score on Glanville. Hard to get much douchebaggier than that.

That's not a douche move, that's legendary

Not even close.

December 17th, 1989: Houston at Cinci. The Bengals are a long shot for the playoffs, Houston a win away from winning the division. Side note: Bengals coach Sam Wyche and Oilers coach Jerry Glanville hate each other. How much?

Bengals are up 45-0 in the fourth quarter. Sam Wyche calls for an onside kick, recovers. Bengals end up scoring on a midfield pass on 4th down. Next Bengals series, Wyche calls a fake reverse/halfback option pass and scores. And finally, at the end of the game and Bengals with the ball, Wyche calls a time out to kick a last-second field goal. Bengals win, 61-7, just because Wyche wanted to run up the score on Glanville. Hard to get much douchebaggier than that.

Ha! I was going to say Glanville. Wyche is a good choice though. Remember his "you're not from Clevelend" stunt?

In all seriousness, could much of Rex's issues be attributed to his dyslexia? He's admitted that he suffers from it, maybe it effected him in ways he didn't realize, would cause him to spout off at the mouth much more than a normal person in that position would.

Na...That's Tourette's syndrome.....

Ball sweat.. That's a huge B word. Keep it in the circus.

Not even close.

Oh man..is this true?? If so, can we fire McDermott and hire Wyche tomorrow?

Seriously, that's one of the best football anecdotes I've ever heard.

I understand Rex was far from perfect. Getting personal on the field was a huge issue . However firing a coach with a 15-16 record after two years is rare. I can understand his point of view. I am not saying Rex should have stayed. I am just saying his dismissal isn't the norm

Hiring a below .500 career coach who has been in your own division for 6 years without winning it and who your team put the beatdown on twice the previous season isn't the norm either.

Edited by GunnerBill