Malik Hooker had two surgeries = no combine, 4-6 months

YoloinOhio

The contract you are talking about was leading with the head. Not leading with the helmet at all is the objective. Head up and wrap.

It was a clean tackle and the way you were taught to do it from decades ago until.....when? Maybe it should change some in current times. Classic tackle: Face mask to the chest, wrap up, drive him back. You can't remove the head from the game, it's attached and hence the mandatory participation on the field. I agree that the shoulder/rugby tackle is the way they should go (that includes the rare but almighty wrapping up). But leading with the CROWN of the helmet is dangerous to the tackler, or shots TO the helmet for the other guy. Also bad news. Leading with the helmet is part of the game.

Whaley strikes me as someone who would take the risk of trying to find a Hooker on the street.

Ill advised before a Super Bowl. It's led to some issues in the past. Oops. Edited by Augie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's no Donte Whitner...but I'd take him at 10.

Seriously though, you know when you're watching a good team on Sunday, and they have this athletic freak making plays all over the field? That's, likely, Malik Hooker in the future. The kid has star written all over him.

dont get Vader started on JBooty! :lol:

TE from Michigan - he's very, very good but just had acl surgery on Jan 10. Tore it in the bowl game. Gonna be awhile before he can play.

Which is exactly why Whaley's got his eyes on him too.

Imagine the jersey sales in Buffalo for Hooker & Butt.

He's no Donte Whitner...but I'd take him at 10.

Seriously though, you know when you're watching a good team on Sunday, and they have this athletic freak making plays all over the field? That's, likely, Malik Hooker in the future. The kid has star written all over him.

yup. guy has the knack for making plays. like a better eric berry.

That's hilarious!

And I agree with the early post about Hooker only sliding into the 10-17 range. All that this does is eliminate his offseason workouts and OTAs. It doesn't have an effect on him making training camp, him playing in 2017 or his longevity. He will likely be there at 10 for the Bills now, which would certainly not have been the case otherwise.

Edited by BarleyNY

He is damaged goods, I would pass. Watkins, Lawson are already cracked eggs, no need to make it a dozen. Their are plenty of other players available.

These are routine sports injuries. Nothing that raises a red flag unless the medical staff sees something abnormal.

If we draft Hooker Im buying the jersey on the strength of the name alone.

I think beating the crap out of his pregnant girlfriend had something to do with it.

Did he find out the baby wasnt his and just lost it?

They are projecting now between 10-17. I doubt that he would have been there at 10 otherwise. He's supposed to be ready by camp but we know how that goes. I don't see any chance of him being there in the 2nd round. He's a top 5 talent in this draft. If he slips a little someone is going to jump on him because of the value. How about Tennessee at 15? They could walk out of the 1st with Mike Williams and Malik Hooker as an example.

Hooker is the best DB that I've seen in quite a while. If he drops, grab him, just like Miami did with Tunsil. He''ll be productive the 1st year, hopefully, and a very good starting DB thereafter. Just my opinion in watching him play 2 games.

yup. guy has the knack for making plays. like a better eric berry.

That's high praise.......Eric Berry is a great player.

That said, despite his ability and his legendary status in that community......Eric Berry is a safety........so the Chiefs haven't exactly been falling over themselves trying to give him a long term contract.

If he were that level of QB, pass rusher, receiver or CB would he be playing on a franchise tag?

This is a problem you run into when you draft less valued positions with your early picks.

That's why Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre were dubious picks.........when you already know that there will be occasional busts and flameouts......you really need to get more than 4-5 years out of your early picks when they pan out.

That's high praise.......Eric Berry is a great player.

That said, despite his ability and his legendary status in that community......Eric Berry is a safety........so the Chiefs haven't exactly been falling over themselves trying to give him a long term contract.

If he were that level of QB, pass rusher, receiver or CB would he be playing on a franchise tag?

This is a problem you run into when you draft less valued positions with your early picks.

That's why Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre were dubious picks.........when you already know that there will be occasional busts and flameouts......you really need to get more than 4-5 years out of your early picks when they pan out.

If they watched our safety play for a while, they might change their minds! Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone (and you have scrubs like ours instead!).

Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) compared him to Earl Thomas - I think that's pretty accurate

Coverage wise for sure, tackling and run support? Not so much IMO. Thomas was a very good tackler coming out, took better angles and was much more of a sure tackler coming out of Texas.

Edit: I do think Hooker can improve in those area's and become Earl Thomasesque.

Edited by P51

Coverage wise for sure, tackling and run support? Not so much IMO. Thomas was a very good tackler coming out, took better angles and was much more of a sure tackler coming out of Texas.

fwiw when they make the comparisons they do it with "what is this college player's ceiling in the NFL" = NFL player name. So he sees his ceiling as Earl Thomas. Could be 2-3 years from now following experience and development. This is a very raw player not unlike his former teammate Darron Lee, who was a HS QB and played LB for only 2 years of his football life, and drafted at age 20. Edited by YoloinOhio

if he drops to 10, it is a no-brainer. Big talent at a need position. Let's hope he drops. Hooker will make more of an impact than anyone else we can find @ 10.

You are very likely to be wrong about that.

And it certainly depends on who is there at 10.

Hooker is a different type of talent. He is one of the top 5 talents in this draft IMO. He is definitely still raw but his ceiling is sky high. If he would have participated in the combine his stock would have continued to rise. He is just a "different" athlete.

If you can watch video of him where you can see the whole field it is mind-blowing to see the ground he covers. He doesn't have the polish of Adams but he is as good a playmaker in the secondary as has come in for a while (maybe Pat Pete). I am on board at 10 but think that Whaley will hesitate to pull the trigger on a guy that just had surgery.

Hooker is a different type of talent. He is one of the top 5 talents in this draft IMO. He is definitely still raw but his ceiling is sky high. If he would have participated in the combine his stock would have continued to rise. He is just a "different" athlete.

If you can watch video of him where you can see the whole field it is mind-blowing to see the ground he covers. He doesn't have the polish of Adams but he is as good a playmaker in the secondary as has come in for a while (maybe Pat Pete). I am on board at 10 but think that Whaley will hesitate to pull the trigger on a guy that just had surgery.

I honestly hope that doesn't sway him. Get his status checked out, confirm he should be fine, then get value. He should be fine in plenty of time. Hell, even if he missed a month but was truly a stud, TAKE A STUD WHEN YOU CAN! Maybe that's just me. A lot of people freaked out on that last season..... (NOT saying Shaq is a stud, but was a terrible pick because he missed some time. But you know what? He got fixed!)

I honestly hope that doesn't sway him. Get his status checked out, confirm he should be fine, then get value. He should be fine in plenty of time. Hell, even if he missed a month but was truly a stud, TAKE A STUD WHEN YOU CAN! Maybe that's just me. A lot of people freaked out on that last season..... (NOT saying Shaq is a stud, but was a terrible pick because he missed some time. But you know what? He got fixed!)

Totally different situation when the player will be healthy before training camp. I'd be delighted with Hooker at 10.

Totally different situation when the player will be healthy before training camp. I'd be delighted with Hooker at 10.

I think that is more than fair Barley (and a little lost on some). It is possible that Hooker is fully healthy by the same date that Lawson had his surgery (5/23). Hooker has a 4-6 month recovery time and that would be at 4 months.

• 4 weeks later...

If he's there at 10, you take him and never look back. Of course the fans will roast Whaley and company for taking yet another injured player, but I hope Whaley wouldn't let that sway him. Hooker is some kind of rare athletic talent.

If he's there at 10, you take him and never look back. Of course the fans will roast Whaley and company for taking yet another injured player, but I hope Whaley wouldn't let that sway him. Hooker is some kind of rare athletic talent.

I would love it. We actually might get real torches and pitchforks show up at 1 bills drive.