Report: Browns will try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

YoloinOhio

Remember when Kelly was a QB one day, then hard to watch the next? It can happen fast, even with A-Rod style "supplements" and/or a certain Canadian doctor, though that certainly is extending the shelf life.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll readily admit that Belichick is the best in the business. But the way some on this board view him as a guy who never does anything wrong is incredibly annoying. He dumps guys like Jones and Collins not because they can't play, but because he doesn't want to pay them. His track record drafting WRs and RBs clearly shows the guy doesn't walk on water.

Despite all of that, how has it worked out for him? Can't draft WR and RB? No problem. Dumps guys like Jones and Collins? Both will be watching their former team in the SB doing perfectly fine without him.

Where is the evidence that those are "wrong" moves? It's a strange criticism.

The Browns have signed Collins to a 4 year extension already. The Pats will get the Browns 3rd round comp pick for him. The Browns have picks 1, 12, 33, 52 & 65 through the first three rounds. If they do offer anything for JG it won't include a first.

Unless you work in the Browns front office, you don't know WHAT they will offer. (Neither do I it's pure speculation.. but seeing as how they gave up a 3rd for Collins in a position a lot less valuable and NOT the face of the Franchise insay they give up #12 pick. I don't know why that sounds awful IMO he is a more known commodity than any of the QBs in the draft and I dare say if he came out this year he been top 5 draft pick. (That's how weak the QB class is.)

Again pure speculation on my part too.

Who was the last career backup QB who was traded for a 1st round pick?

Not sure garapolo quailifies as a "career backup." Just curious what do you think he's worth? I saw Bill Polllian on ESPN saying he is worth a 1 and a 2 or 1 and a 3. I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief but after listening to his rational he made sense. I myself would give up our first round pick for him in a heart beat.

Edited by ice2145

Who was the last career backup QB who was traded for a 1st round pick?

Hmm that's a good question.. i think Atlanta gave 2 2nds and Swapped 1st round picks for Shaub. That's a HUGE haul of picks and IMO more than just a 1st round pick when you have 2.

Remember when Kelly was a QB one day, then hard to watch the next? It can happen fast, even with A-Rod style "supplements" and/or a certain Canadian doctor, though that certainly is extending the shelf life.

Same thing with Manning though some blame the neck injury. I think at some point the arm just goes and they are more susceptible to injury. Manning never missed a snap all those years and then all of a sudden he's getting high ankle sprains, etc. It seems Brady has avoided these things, somehow.

Favre kind of fell off sharply too imo, though he played until he was pretty old. His style of play probably didn't help. Makes me think Big Ben isn't playing until he's 40.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Unless you work in the Browns front office, you don't know WHAT they will offer. (Neither do I it's pure speculation.. but seeing as how they gave up a 3rd for Collins in a position a lot less valuable and NOT the face of the Franchise insay they give up #12 pick. I don't know why that sounds awful IMO he is a more known commodity than any of the QBs in the draft and I dare say if he came out this year he been top 5 draft pick. (That's how weak the QB class is.)

Again pure speculation on my part too.

The Browns gave up a 3rd round comp pick for Collins. If they hadn't re-signed him, they'd be in line for a 3rd round comp pick next season. That's not exactly free spending. The speculation in the media is coming from Pats' shill Jason LaCanfora and its sole purpose is to drive up value for JG. Mary Kay Cabot simply recycled his "report" of Browns interest because, quite frankly, that's all she does.

Also, I'm from Cleveland and I do know a lot of people there. Some are even in the know with the Browns. I can give you this much: the Browns haven't even decided on their direction concerning QB in 2017 and that includes any decision on whether or not to pursue a trade for JG. Anyone saying they know what they'll do in this regard, be it JLC, MKC or anyone else is full of ****.

From my personal observation, the thought of giving up the 12th pick for a second round prospect with precious little gametape and who is on the last year of his rookie deal would be beyond asinine. It's just wishful thinking by Cheatriots fans and media hype coming from the team.

The Browns gave up a 3rd round comp pick for Collins. If they hadn't re-signed him, they'd be in line for a 3rd round comp pick next season. That's not exactly free spending. The speculation in the media is coming from Pats' shill Jason LaCanfora and its sole purpose is to drive up value for JG. Mary Kay Cabot simply recycled his "report" of Browns interest because, quite frankly, that's all she does.

Also, I'm from Cleveland and I do know a lot of people there. Some are even in the know with the Browns. I can give you this much: the Browns haven't even decided on their direction concerning QB in 2017 and that includes any decision on whether or not to pursue a trade for JG. Anyone saying they know what they'll do in this regard, be it JLC, MKC or anyone else is full of ****.

From my personal observation, the thought of giving up the 12th pick for a second round prospect with precious little gametape and who is on the last year of his rookie deal would be beyond asinine. It's just wishful thinking by Cheatriots fans and media hype coming from the team.

I made my rational for it. Of course that's assuming they feel a need for a QB. If you look at the class for QB JG is a much better QB than all of them when he came out 3 years ago.

That said I am happy if the Pats trade or keep him. I don't mind having a damn good backup just in case Brady gets hurt. I also think the media pumping up that the Pats want to trade him, I think they would but not unless it was a damn sweet deal for them.

Hell I hear Texans fans saying offer Clowney and a 2nd for him... I have also heard SF wanted him as well...

I made my rational for it. Of course that's assuming they feel a need for a QB. If you look at the class for QB JG is a much better QB than all of them when he came out 3 years ago.

That said I am happy if the Pats trade or keep him. I don't mind having a damn good backup just in case Brady gets hurt. I also think the media pumping up that the Pats want to trade him, I think they would but not unless it was a damn sweet deal for them.

Hell I hear Texans fans saying offer Clowney and a 2nd for him... I have also heard SF wanted him as well...

Well, you know, good luck with that.

i don't know if you ever stream 92.3 the Fan from The Land but Bull and Fox is one of my favorite radio shows. Dustin Fox (former Buckeye/Bills CB) is relentless with wanting this Jimmy G deal to go down! Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, you know, good luck with that.

Hey man I'm just enjoying the ride.

Only other thing I wanted to add is you say "2nd round prospect" and I disagree with that assessment solely because you can't go by the class 3 years ago but rather this class. In this class he would have broken the 1st round easily (IMO). Also 3 years ago everyone thought the Pats got a STEAL when they landed him in the 2nd round.

Not sure garapolo quailifies as a "career backup." Just curious what do you think he's worth? I saw Bill Polllian on ESPN saying he is worth a 1 and a 2 or 1 and a 3. I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief but after listening to his rational he made sense. I myself would give up our first round pick for him in a heart beat.

He is a career backup so far.

I guess the baseball clown and the lawyer running the Browns now, along with their goofball shyster owner would be dumb enough to offer up a first for this kid.

Despite all of that, how has it worked out for him? Can't draft WR and RB? No problem. Dumps guys like Jones and Collins? Both will be watching their former team in the SB doing perfectly fine without him.

My comment was in response to someone claiming every time the Patriots get rid of someone they immediately see diminished performance. There are plenty of guys BB has moved on from who can still play. They almost always get good draft pick compensation out of it. I never intended it to sound like he did something wrong in moving those guys, just that he's not the used car salesman selling you a lemon like some would believe.

And if the Pats let up 38 to Matty Ice and lose in a shootout, he'll be criticized for placing long-term thinking over short-term victories.

Collins and Jones are still good players. If the defense plays at a high level consistently without them, they're good moves. If they don't, doubts will creep.

BB is still the best HC of all time either way, but he's fallible. Getting a unilateral "it was a good move because they made the Super Bowl like they've done 6 times before" is nonsense. Pay Revis, good move. Don't pay him, good move. Kinda stupid to think like that. Talib is still playing at a very high level and they let him go for a cheap Revis rental that they passed on only 1 year later. Would they have maybe done better in 2015 keeping Talib? Would the Broncos have been as good without Talib when they faced each other in the AFCCG?

Edited by FireChan

And if the Pats let up 38 to Matty Ice and lose in a shootout, he'll be criticized for placing long-term thinking over short-term victories.

Collins and Jones are still good players. If the defense plays at a high level consistently without them, they're good moves. If they don't, doubts will creep.

BB is still the best HC of all time either way, but he's fallible. Getting a unilateral "it was a good move because they made the Super Bowl like they've done 6 times before" is nonsense. Pay Revis, good move. Don't pay him, good move. Kinda stupid to think like that.

Both moves were shockers even for us up here in NE, but no one up here will question the moves if they lose in a shoot out. The stats still showed one of the best D in the league all year. (Sadly most of the WBs in the AFC are God awful.)

But what happens if they shut the Falcons D down and win in a blowout. Say 34-17... will people then be saying he is a super D genius again?

My comment was in response to someone claiming every time the Patriots get rid of someone they immediately see diminished performance. There are plenty of guys BB has moved on from who can still play. They almost always get good draft pick compensation out of it. I never intended it to sound like he did something wrong in moving those guys, just that he's not the used car salesman selling you a lemon like some would believe.

The fact that they don't miss a beat because he lets go of guys that can still play is proof that his method works.

BB is still the best HC of all time either way, but he's fallible. Getting a unilateral "it was a good move because they made the Super Bowl like they've done 6 times before" is nonsense. Pay Revis, good move. Don't pay him, good move. Kinda stupid to think like that. Talib is still playing at a very high level and they let him go for a cheap Revis rental that they passed on only 1 year later. Would they have maybe done better in 2015 keeping Talib? Would the Broncos have been as good without Talib when they faced each other in the AFCCG?

I think saying that giving up 38 to Matty Ice because he let those two guys go is more silly. So is saying Talib (a really good CB) was the difference for either team last year and the reason for their different outcomes.

There were other reasons than money they got rid of at least one of those guys, but the point is it doesn't matter--their Defense led the NFL (by a large margin) in lowest PPG allowed...that's a consistently high level.

Their team performance did not suffer without them. That's obvious. So faulting him for letting them go (and others before them) doesn't work as a criticism.

The guys on ESPN are speculating the deal would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional pick next year that would either be a 2nd or a 3rd. If another team or two got involved and a bidding war began the Browns might have to part ways with one of their first rounds picks. I have no idea how close to reality this speculation will be.

Both moves were shockers even for us up here in NE, but no one up here will question the moves if they lose in a shoot out. The stats still showed one of the best D in the league all year. (Sadly most of the WBs in the AFC are God awful.)

But what happens if they shut the Falcons D down and win in a blowout. Say 34-17... will people then be saying he is a super D genius again?

No one will question ditching high quality defensive players for future picks if their defensive play sucks in the Super Bowl? You sure about that?

The fact that they don't miss a beat because he lets go of guys that can still play is proof that his method works.

I think saying that giving up 38 to Matty Ice because he let those two guys go is more silly. So is saying Talib (a really good CB) was the difference for either team last year and the reason for their different outcomes.

There were other reasons than money they got rid of at least one of those guys, but the point is it doesn't matter--their Defense led the NFL (by a large margin) in lowest PPG allowed...that's a consistently high level.

Their team performance did not suffer without them. That's obvious. So faulting him for letting them go (and others before them) doesn't work as a criticism.

Because he let those guys go? Maybe not. But if Collins could've been the reason for one more big 3rd down stop that they don't get, or one big run etc etc, there's questions there to be asked.

Talib being matched with CHJ on the Bronocs was absolutely a key reason for their defensive dominance. He had 6 passes defensed in the playoffs in 2015. You think Denver doesn't miss a beat without him?

If the defensive performance suffers in the Super Bowl, questions will be raised about letting one of your best defensive players go for a 3rd round pick on a year he could have contributed. How can you argue otherwise?

That's like saying if the Bills let TT go and the offense doesn't play as well in a game they need to make the postseason, Whaley wouldn't be criticized or at least openly questioned. That's ludicrous.

Edited by FireChan

No one will question ditching high quality defensive players for future picks if their defensive play sucks in the Super Bowl? You sure about that?

Because he let those guys go? Maybe not. But if Collins could've been the reason for one more big 3rd down stop that they don't get, or one big run etc etc, there's questions there to be asked.

Talib being matched with CHJ on the Bronocs was absolutely a key reason for their defensive dominance. He had 6 passes defensed in the playoffs in 2015. You think Denver doesn't miss a beat without him?

If the defense performance suffers in the Super Bowl, questions will be raised about letting one of your best defensive players go for a 3rd round pick on a year he could have contributed. How can you argue otherwise?

Because it is pure speculation. He also could have been on IR for this game. Also The D played BETTER after he left, I don't think that's a coincidence.

As for Jones, that one could be discussed (unlikely) since their pass rush has been eh at best all year.. (why I hope Cleveland goes dumb and gives us #12 pick for Jimmy G. Imagine the stud pass rusher we get then.. drool 😂)

If the defensive performance suffers in the Super Bowl, questions will be raised about letting one of your best defensive players go for a 3rd round pick on a year he could have contributed. How can you argue otherwise?

That's like saying if the Bills let TT go and the offense doesn't play as well in a game they need to make the postseason, Whaley wouldn't be criticized or at least openly questioned. That's ludicrous.

It's not like saying that at all. Collins and Jones were let go and the pats D went continued to dominate and they got further in the playoffs than last year with both players.

The SB is one game. Anything can happen against the highest scoring team in the league. Saying that one 3rd down stop which may or may not have had anything to do with the presence or absence of one player not on the team is a huge stretch and very facile thinking. Collins is a good player, but he's not that much of a difference maker to assume he would have made a difference.

Teams get beat in the SB for many reasons--it's still just one game. It's not because they stormed into the SB but suddenly felt the sting of not having a guy who left months (or a whole season) ago.

Because it is pure speculation. He also could have been on IR for this game. Also The D played BETTER after he left, I don't think that's a coincidence.

As for Jones, that one could be discussed (unlikely) since their pass rush has been eh at best all year.. (why I hope Cleveland goes dumb and gives us #12 pick for Jimmy G. Imagine the stud pass rusher we get then.. drool )

It's not like saying that at all. Collins and Jones were let go and the pats D went continued to dominate and they got further in the playoffs than last year with both players.

The SB is one game. Anything can happen against the highest scoring team in the league. Saying that one 3rd down stop which may or may not have had anything to do with the presence or absence of one player not on the team is a huge stretch and very facile thinking. Collins is a good player, but he's not that much of a difference maker to assume he would have made a difference.

Teams get beat in the SB for many reasons--it's still just one game. It's not because they stormed into the SB but suddenly felt the sting of not having a guy who left months (or a whole season) ago.

I guess the question is, is the Pats defense better with or without Jamie Collins.

I say with. And in that case, the risk of shipping him off is that you have a less talented defense in the short term.

I guess the question is, is the Pats defense better with or without Jamie Collins.

I say with. And in that case, the risk of shipping him off is that you have a less talented defense in the short term.

I would have agreed, he is def more talented than any of our other LB (except Hightower) but the Defense has played BETTER since his departure. Now that also could been the teams O they faced since then as well.

They were no different without him. Dominant still. The Bills shut out the pats with Collins.

It's always better to have more good players. But the results speak for themselves. If they lose the SB this doesn't change.

They were no different without him. Dominant still. The Bills shut out the pats with Collins.

It's always better to have more good players. But the results speak for themselves. If they lose the SB this doesn't change.

Losing the SB is a result, WEO. That's what I guess you don't seem to understand.

That feels like something that the Patriots would have leaked to get the Browns to give up more than pick 33. It might work.

If the Browns gave up their second first round pick (#12) for Jimmy G it would still be a reasonable deal for them because it would still allow them to acquire an impactful defensive player with its first pick and get a young qb who should be ready to play immediately compared to drafting a qb.

If the Browns were a little imaginative they could trade down a tad and come away with a good defensive player and have more picks to work with. The Patriots dangling players on the market shouldn't influence the Browns too much. They can do their own calculations without worrying about the standard charades going on this time of year. As the draft approaches the intensity and frequency of the rumors will swirl. They probably already know now what they are going to do or be willing to do.

If you want to see the rumor mill be hyper-active the Billls could dangle TT and see what the market is willing to offer? Houston, Cleveland and maybe Arizona would certainly be interested.

I have no clue of what Whaley and the owner think their team is currently at? If they really believe they are close to climbing the ranks then it will take a more patchwork approach to adding talent to the roster. If Whaley and the owner believe that this team has to be reconfigured then it would make more sense to absorb some immediate pain by trading a player such as TT and getting a return for a player that you are really not invested in.

Why would Bill Belichick trade away a young QB who might be good when he has a 39 year old starter? Think about it.

Because he has an even younger one under his control for 3 more years and also happens to like him more than Jimmy G.?

Yup, plus think what kind of draft picks the Pats would get out of the Browns. !@#$ I hate the Pats.

That feels like something that the Patriots would have leaked to get the Browns to give up more than pick 33. It might work.

Supposedly the teams interested (per our local talking heads):

SF,Chicago,Cleveland,Texans,Jets. 8 know I forgot one other team they mentioned, I think it is safe to say the Jets have 0% chance getting him in a trade. (BB hates them the most) and I doubt he would give the Texans their missing piece to a championship bubble.

So it's down to SF,Chicago and Cleveland.

Why would they trade him?

If they think he's good why not try for the Favre to Rogers transition?

If he's good when Brady retires you keep right on winning for another 10-15 years like Green Bad did.

Maybe he's not that good, and they know it, and are happy to take a 1st rounder off someone's hands for a mediocre QB.

Why would they trade him?

If they think he's good why not try for the Favre to Rogers transition?

If he's good when Brady retires you keep right on winning for another 10-15 years like Green Bad did.

Maybe he's not that good, and they know it, and are happy to take a 1st rounder off someone's hands for a mediocre QB.

This is all speculation on everyone's part. I am shocked no one here started a thread about what Robert Kraft said to the media yesterday about BB and I am paraphrasing "He knows his end date and I know his end date" meaning when he is planning on retiring so if he is planning on retiring in say 4 years you trade Jimmy G. Now for a high draft pick that can help next 2-3 years with Brady and if you win 1 or 2 more SB you pretty much set the standard for HC in the NFL.

This is all speculation on everyone's part. I am shocked no one here started a thread about what Robert Kraft said to the media yesterday about BB and I am paraphrasing "He knows his end date and I know his end date" meaning when he is planning on retiring so if he is planning on retiring in say 4 years you trade Jimmy G. Now for a high draft pick that can help next 2-3 years with Brady and if you win 1 or 2 more SB you pretty much set the standard for HC in the NFL

I agree

Hoodie retires same time as Brady

If the Browns gave up their second first round pick (#12) for Jimmy G it would still be a reasonable deal for them because it would still allow them to acquire an impactful defensive player with its first pick and get a young qb who should be ready to play immediately compared to drafting a qb.

If the Browns were a little imaginative they could trade down a tad and come away with a good defensive player and have more picks to work with. The Patriots dangling players on the market shouldn't influence the Browns too much. They can do their own calculations without worrying about the standard charades going on this time of year. As the draft approaches the intensity and frequency of the rumors will swirl. They probably already know now what they are going to do or be willing to do.

If you want to see the rumor mill be hyper-active the Billls could dangle TT and see what the market is willing to offer? Houston, Cleveland and maybe Arizona would certainly be interested.

I have no clue of what Whaley and the owner think their team is currently at? If they really believe they are close to climbing the ranks then it will take a more patchwork approach to adding talent to the roster. If Whaley and the owner believe that this team has to be reconfigured then it would make more sense to absorb some immediate pain by trading a player such as TT and getting a return for a player that you are really not invested in.

Agree on all fronts. I don't think that the Browns will give up 12 for Garoppolo because I don't think that they have to. they have so many good picks (4 of the top 52 and 5 of the top 65). A trade back from 12 is a really interesting way to call the Pats bluff. Go from 12 to 25 and pick up a 2018 1st and then trade 25 to New England. The Browns hold a LOT of cards in this draft. Hyperbole aside, this might be the most important draft that a team has ever had (at least without an Andrew Luck type prospect). The Browns have a chance to re-shape their franchise this offseason. It started with the Collins signing.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Agree on all fronts. I don't think that the Browns will give up 10 for Garoppolo because I don't think that they have to. they have so many good picks (4 of the top 52 and 5 of the top 65). I trade back from 12 is a really interesting way to call the Pats bluff. Go from 12 to 25 and pick up a 2018 1st and then trade 25 to New England. The Browns hold a LOT of cards in this draft. Hyperbole aside, this might be the most important draft that a team has ever had (at least without an Andrew Luck type prospect). The Browns have a chance to re-shape their franchise this offseason. It started with the Collins signing.

Funny thing is Cleveland doesn't hold all the cards, the Pats do. They have at least 3 suitors that they would trade Jimmy G to and Cleveland probably the #3 choice so they have to make a sweet deal to get him. (If you think he is going be good you ship him to the NFC so Chicago and SF front runners.. kind of funny how the top 3 teams in the draft are interested.tells you what they think (if true) of this draft class for QBs.)

Funny thing is Cleveland doesn't hold all the cards, the Pats do. They have at least 3 suitors that they would trade Jimmy G to and Cleveland probably the #3 choice so they have to make a sweet deal to get him. (If you think he is going be good you ship him to the NFC so Chicago and SF front runners.. kind of funny how the top 3 teams in the draft are interested.tells you what they think (if true) of this draft class for QBs.)

Cleveland has more, and better assets (that's why they hold the cards). They pick before Chicago and SF and have 2 1sts and 2 2nds. I don't see BB worried about the Browns becoming a threat in the near future. He is going to take the best offer from those 3. I do agree that Houston is out and the Jets as well. Houston is going to have to hit on a QB in the draft because of the money that is tied up in Brock.

Cleveland has more, and better assets (that's why they hold the cards). They pick before Chicago and SF and have 2 1sts and 2 2nds. I don't see BB worried about the Browns becoming a threat in the near future. He is going to take the best offer from those 3. I do agree that Houston is out and the Jets as well. Houston is going to have to hit on a QB in the draft because of the money that is tied up in Brock.

Very True, the wild card is Jimmy G is a local boyfor the Bears, and per CSNNE Jimmy G. Is a top priority for them so they may go full on dumb and offer up a lot to get him. (They are also probably the best team of the three as well, their D is decent and they found a good young RB last year so adding Jimmy G and retaining their star WR could make them a playoff team in their eyes.)