Report: Browns will try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

YoloinOhio

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See: Cassel, Matt.

Again, you could easily be right that Garoppolo isn't any good.

But Garoppolo has been a ton better than Cassel, even if you compare Cassel's year replacing Brady.

Cassel in 2008: 63.4% completions, 21 TDs (4.1%), 11 INTs, 7.2 YPA, 8.3 sack percentage

Garoppolo this year: 68.3% completions, 4 TDs (6.3%) 0 INTs, 8.0 YPA, 113.3 passer rating, 4.5 sack percentage

So yeah, Garoppolo's sample size is small and yeah you can't compare across eras, but no, Cassel does not seem an apt comparison. Garoppolo has been much better than Cassel was. And that was Cassel's fourth year and Garoppolo's third.

IMHO they'd be saps to give a 1st for him, but wouldn't be surprised to see someone get Garoppolo for maybe a 2nd and some kind of change.

Edited by Thurman#1

Anybody the Pats have traded or let walk amount to anything the past 15 years? Maybe vinatieri?

Collins was really good in Cleveland, especially for a guy dumped in halfway through the season.

Wilfork has been as good for Houston as they expected, knowing he was getting older.

Chandler Jones had a terrific season in Arizona this year after the trade.

Mankins performed very well in Tampa after a tough transition.

Terry Glenn.

That's all I can think of quickly, but I'm sure there are more.

Edited by Thurman#1

'Cause it's the last year he can get anything for him in trade, and the 39 year old starter looks like he has another three or four years in him. Unfortunately.

Not that I'm convinced Garop will be any good. But it's certainly possible.

I don't think that the evidence shows that Belichick keeps people if they're good. Seymour was terrific. They didn't keep him. Wilfork is still playing very well. They didn't keep him. Jamie Collins was excellent. They didn't keep him.

Belichick loves - he absolutely loves - to maximize the number of picks he's getting. It keeps their salary cap number down. He's shown himself willing to trade away guys who are very good if the situation is right. And if they believe Brady is going to be around for another three or four years, then the situation is right.

And this year is realistically the last year they can trade Garoppolo without signing him to a second contract. And they don't like wasting cap money on guys they're not going to keep.

I want you to say this sentence out loud. Be sure to listen to yourself when you say it.

"I have a 39 year old QB that I expect to get 4 more years out of."

People here were convinced Shady was washed up at 28! Do you actually think Tom Brady is going to play like this until 43? (And if he does, it won't raise suspicions?)

Even if Brady does have years to go, why would Belichick trade away a solid backup?

This whole thing stinks out loud. And it just goes to show how snowed we are by the "Patriot Way." We swallow the notion that Brady is going to play till he's 45 as if that's normal. And we swallow any Patriots QB must be awesome.

Collins was really good in Cleveland, especially for a guy dumped in halfway through the season.

Wilfork has been as good for Houston as they expected, knowing he was getting older.

Chandler Jones had a terrific season in Arizona this year after the trade.

Mankins performed very well in Tampa after a tough transition.

Terry Glenn.

That's all I can think of quickly, but I'm sure there are more.

I'll readily admit that Belichick is the best in the business. But the way some on this board view him as a guy who never does anything wrong is incredibly annoying. He dumps guys like Jones and Collins not because they can't play, but because he doesn't want to pay them. His track record drafting WRs and RBs clearly shows the guy doesn't walk on water.

Jimmy G's contract status makes it incredibly difficult to keep him around as Brady's clip board holder in perpetuity, he's going to be a RFA after next season and will likely get a contract offer the Pats can't match. Money is the reason they moved on from Collins and Jones and it'll be the reason they move on from Jimmy too, not because BB is some grand wizard who knows he'll bust, but because of Brady's depressed cap number and the pending RFA status could very likely mean Jimmy is making more than Brady in 2018, which is a distraction the Pats aren't going to begin to entertain.

I want you to say this sentence out loud. Be sure to listen to yourself when you say it.

People here were convinced Shady was washed up at 28! Do you actually think Tom Brady is going to play like this until 43? (And if he does, it won't raise suspicions?)

Even if Brady does have years to go, why would Belichick trade away a solid backup?

This whole thing stinks out loud. And it just goes to show how snowed we are by the "Patriot Way." We swallow the notion that Brady is going to play till he's 45 as if that's normal. And we swallow any Patriots QB must be awesome.

Because of money. Does it look like Brady has lost a step? I completely realize it could happen overnight, but it's also entirely possible given how seriously he takes conditioning and how he's rarely touched in their offensive scheme that he does play another 4 years. BB took Briskett in the 3rd round last year, he's clearly planning ahead for the reality that Jimmy won't be around long. Maybe Jimmy is a full blown "Patriots Way" koolaide drinker who'll gladly turn down an extra $10 mil a year and a guaranteed starting job to hold Tom's clip board for however long is needed, but I'm not betting on it. Jimmy's value will never be higher, BB will cash it in this offseason, and it's not because he doesn't believe in him, it's because it's the only logical move.

You doubt it. Fine.

I don't.

I watch Brady avoid hits better than any QB in history probably ever has. He has less wear and tear on him than anyone I've ever seen play QB to his age. And he relies less on his athletic ability than nearly any QB I've ever seen as well.

Don't act like it's out of the question. It's just not.

Why would Belichick trade away a solid backup? This one's easy, and I already addressed it. As did Chuck Wagon just above. But to repeat, Belichick loves getting draft picks and keeping the team young and cheap. If he keeps Garoppolo for another year he'll have to franchise him. He simply won't want to do that, not for a backup. Or he could maybe sign a contract with him, but you can bet Garoppolo and his agent will be looking for money comparable to what he could get elsewhere. And that's again not something Belichick would be willing to do for a backup.

And comparing Shady, whose body has taken a tremendous pounding, and Brady is ridiculous. RBs have a totally different relationship between age and performance than QBs do.

Edited by Thurman#1

There's no way I'm trading a guy who I think can be a good starting QB for a 2nd round pick when I have a 40 year old QB. I don't care how well Brady takes care of himself.

depends if they they think brisett is legit or if they can get a 2nd a grab another guy on a cheap rookie contract. grap has 1 year left on his deal right?

You should start a patriots blog.

These takes are tasty !!

You doubt it. Fine.

I don't.

I watch Brady avoid hits better than any QB in history probably ever has. He has less wear and tear on him than anyone I've ever seen play QB to his age. And he relies less on his athletic ability than nearly any QB I've ever seen as well.

Don't act like it's out of the question. It's just not.

Why would Belichick trade away a solid backup? This one's easy, and I already addressed it. As did Chuck Wagon just above. But to repeat, Belichick loves getting draft picks and keeping the team young and cheap. If he keeps Garoppolo for another year he'll have to franchise him. He simply won't want to do that, not for a backup. Or he could maybe sign a contract with him, but you can bet Garoppolo and his agent will be looking for money comparable to what he could get elsewhere. And that's again not something Belichick would be willing to do for a backup.

And comparing Shady, whose body has taken a tremendous pounding, and Brady is ridiculous. RBs have a totally different relationship between age and performance than QBs do.

We are in agreement on this topic.

I picked up something interesting in a Simmons podcast talking to Lombardi (former Pats employee). The majority of the league operates under a structure where they have a few guys at select positions making a very high percentage of the salary cap (QB, LT, WR, Pass Rusher, CB) and then filling out the roster with cheap labor, ie draft picks and guys who've fallen through the cracks. Whaley has said multiple times this is his method. The Pats operate under a different structure, Brady is the highest paid, but at a severely depressed QB salary number and the rest of the roster is full A) guys who understand the way the team operates and sacrifice some money to fall in line or B) guys making ~$6-$10 mil that most of the league ignores in their salary structures. This allows the Pats to be a deeper team, and helps them overcome injuries to a guy like Gronk or even Brady's suspension, meanwhile guys like Collins and Jones who want to be paid are flipped out for draft picks when their value is at it's peak and the show keeps rolling along.

Only Brady is "bigger than the team", it's time to extract value from Jimmy (and likely Gronk too) and just roll along. I also wouldn't be surprised if BB isn't overly concerned with post-Brady life as it might be the time he retires as well.

Again, you could easily be right that Garoppolo isn't any good.

But Garoppolo has been a ton better than Cassel, even if you compare Cassel's year replacing Brady.

Cassel in 2008: 63.4% completions, 21 TDs (4.1%), 11 INTs, 7.2 YPA, 8.3 sack percentage

Garoppolo this year: 68.3% completions, 4 TDs (6.3%) 0 INTs, 8.0 YPA, 113.3 passer rating, 4.5 sack percentage

So yeah, Garoppolo's sample size is small and yeah you can't compare across eras, but no, Cassel does not seem an apt comparison. Garoppolo has been much better than Cassel was. And that was Cassel's fourth year and Garoppolo's third.

IMHO they'd be saps to give a 1st for him, but wouldn't be surprised to see someone get Garoppolo for maybe a 2nd and some kind of change.

The 1 1/2 game sample size makes this comparison, or any evaluation of Jimmy G based on game experience, completely illegitimate. Maybe the Browns will be sucked into this, but it would be foolhardy in my opinion. Chances are if you get this guy out of the Cheats controlled offense for any length of time he gets average pretty quickly. Chances are if he had to start even for them for an extended period he sucks. If he really was thought of as a potential replacement for Brady, they would hang onto him. Fools gold.

I think that the Pats will trade Jimmy G for the 1st pick in the 2nd (I know that I have said that). They will ask for more but ultimately may get like a 5th too but no more. They took Garoppolo at the end of the 2nd, developed him as a backup on a rookie contract, & turned him into the same thing that the 49ers got for Alex Smith. That's not bad!!

Why would Bill Belichick trade away a young QB who might be good when he has a 39 year old starter? Think about it.

Because he's found guys who can perform in his system fairly easily and plug them right in. Anyone remember Matt Cassell going 11-5? New England is a machine

I'll readily admit that Belichick is the best in the business. But the way some on this board view him as a guy who never does anything wrong is incredibly annoying. He dumps guys like Jones and Collins not because they can't play, but because he doesn't want to pay them. His track record drafting WRs and RBs clearly shows the guy doesn't walk on water.

Jimmy G's contract status makes it incredibly difficult to keep him around as Brady's clip board holder in perpetuity, he's going to be a RFA after next season and will likely get a contract offer the Pats can't match. Money is the reason they moved on from Collins and Jones and it'll be the reason they move on from Jimmy too, not because BB is some grand wizard who knows he'll bust, but because of Brady's depressed cap number and the pending RFA status could very likely mean Jimmy is making more than Brady in 2018, e.

You are absolutely right about him drafting WR, but outside of 1 Miss at RB (in the 1st round in Marjory) the man gotten a lot out of most of their RB he drafted. Ridley, Varren, White quality starters. Cedric Cobbs was a good ST guy.

We are in agreement on this topic.

I picked up something interesting in a Simmons podcast talking to Lombardi (former Pats employee). The majority of the league operates under a structure where they have a few guys at select positions making a very high percentage of the salary cap (QB, LT, WR, Pass Rusher, CB) and then filling out the roster with cheap labor, ie draft picks and guys who've fallen through the cracks. Whaley has said multiple times this is his method. The Pats operate under a different structure, Brady is the highest paid, but at a severely depressed QB salary number and the rest of the roster is full A) guys who understand the way the team operates and sacrifice some money to fall in line or B) guys making ~$6-$10 mil that most of the league ignores in their salary structures. This allows the Pats to be a deeper team, and helps them overcome injuries to a guy like Gronk or even Brady's suspension, meanwhile guys like Collins and Jones who want to be paid are flipped out for draft picks when their value is at it's peak and the show keeps rolling along.

Only Brady is "bigger than the team", it's time to extract value from Jimmy (and likely Gronk too) and just roll along. I also wouldn't be surprised if BB isn't overly concerned with post-Brady life as it might be the time he retires as well.

More "Patriot Way" stuff. It's very easy to get any player to take less money because they have the greatest QB to ever play, and thus can use "you want to win championships every year, sign with us" as the ultimate bargaining chip.

I'm sure every team would operate under this structure if they had the luxury of Tom Brady and all the extra perks it gets you, besides dominating in every facet of the conference for a generation. One would think the NFL would get involved at some point.

Not on the cheating, just on it's parity / self-imposed balancing. The Patriots are so good they blow away the argument that "any team can be successful" and "any team can beat any team" mantra they sell to its corporate sponsors and rabid ticket and merchandise buying fanbase. It's just simply not true. Parity does not exist with the Patriots in the AFC. They've made the conference title game 6 years in a row, an NFL record.

How the NFL could argue this is fair is beyond comprehension. They have a conference where 15 (!) teams are competing for 1 spot in the conference championship every year. Something must be done, whether with whole scale conference and divisional realignment, or instituting some sort of promotional/relegational conferencing system. It's just boring. It's not interesting for any football fan besides those living in Massachusetts.