Rex signs with ESPN for Super Bowl pre-game show

YoloinOhio

Am I the only one that thinks he'll do miserable on tv? Maybe I'm wrong but the coolest parts about Rex have always been his pressers when it was his guys against the enemy or when he was cheerleading for someone. Overall "the players coach" seems to be too soft on almost everyone he interacts with. The guy is rarely critical of anyone unless they are an opponent of his and it sounds good in his head at the time.

Without a team behind him and an opponent in front of him, I think he could be miserable to watch on tv. Sucking up to every player who could be a great fit in his hypothetical defense and jabbing at players he wishes he knew how to use in his offense.

Edited by Chugga

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure his first segment will be "how I slowed down Tom Brady" while he expounds on the defensive genius legend in his own mind.

Seriously if this becomes his full time gig, 3 or 4 years from now he'll have reinvented his internal view of his own legacy to that of a first ballot hall of famer if you ask him...

Edited by Over 28 years of fanhood

I'm sure his first segment will be "how I slowed down Tom Brady" while he expounds on the defensive genius legend in his own mind.

Seriously if this becomes his full time gig, 3 or 4 years from now he'll have reinvented his internal view of his own legacy to that of a first ballot hall of famer if you ask him...

That's why you do TV. After a few years you're a coaching legend.

Just look at how people view Gruden. He got fired for ruining Dungy's Bucs and doing a lot of losing. But now he's thought of as much better than he actually was.

Madden was different when he went into TV. Madden is the man. He could come back and coach today and these players would run through brick walls for him. Anyone who thinks he was some pushover doesn't remember his coaching days or has never seen footage on NFL Network. If he wasn't afraid of flying he would be a top 1-3 coach of all-time. IMO anyway. Right now he's one of the most legendary coaches ever and he had a pretty short career.

Edited by TheFunPolice

That's why you do TV. After a few years you're a coaching legend.

Just look at how people view Gruden. He got fired for ruining Dungy's Bucs and doing a lot of losing. But now he's thought of as much better than he actually was.

Madden was different when he went into TV. Madden is the man. He could come back and coach today and these players would run through brick walls for him. Anyone who thinks he was some pushover doesn't remember his coaching days or has never seen footage on NFL Network. If he wasn't afraid of flying he would be a top 1-3 coach of all-time. IMO anyway. Right now he's one of the most legendary coaches ever and he had a pretty short career.

Gruden's a really bad example because he was a very successful head coach. Only two losing seasons out of 11, made the playoffs five times, and won a Super Bowl (vs. the team he essentially built). Rex would kill for those stats.

Rex will always have the cachet of being a Ryan and be praised for his defensive expertise, but nobody is going to be calling him a legend even 5-10 years from now. He's a curiosity, an entertaining blip in the annals of NFL history.

He'll be great on TV.

Rex tries to win over the press by his charm.

Rex losses the press and the press makes fun of his charm.

Rex losses his job.

Rex gets a job in the press, because of his charm.

Rex wins the viewers with his charm.

Rex never coaches again.

Edited by KollegeStudnet