Brent Musberger to retire...

Boatdrinks

... from sports broadcasting. Is the timing coincidental with the reaction to his comments about RB Mixon? Anyway, the guy has been a part of NFL broadcasts and College football since I started paying attention and probably long before. Any thoughts on the career of Brent Woody Musberger?

I met him in HS and he seemed like a nice guy. Unlike a lot of announcers, his enthusiasm for the event always came off as genuine and I liked him for that.

No idea what comments he made recently, but Brent said a lot of off-the-cuff things over the years and it never seemed to be a problem.

The funniest thing was all his gambling references during the games :)

So many times you needed a garbage time touchdown or a stop and Musberger always had a comment how that touchdown affected so many people lol. That's how I will always remember him, he always said what a gambling man was thinking.

You can't tease us like that. Tell the whole story please?

It happened at Peartrees on 49th St and 1st Ave. Peartrees was a watering hole for athletes, sports writers and personalities, among other assorted characters. I had worked there, but was no longer. The bartender, John "Shirts" Hughes, a friend of mine was notorious in the sports community. It was Sunday night after the games and after their show. I wasn't paying close attention but a heated discussion turned to shoving, which resulted in a punch. It ended quickly. Musberger left immediately, followed shortly thereafter by Jimmy "the Greek".

It's an interesting career: in the 80's he became the most talked about/important/polarizing sportscaster in a long time. He was everywhere. People loved him or really hated him. He was a "star".

Then it seems he disappeared for long time from the limelight, then to slowy creep back into our consciousness via college football.

One the best of all time, easily.

It's an interesting career: in the 80's he became the most talked about/important/polarizing sportscaster in a long time. He was everywhere. People loved him or really hated him. He was a "star".

Then it seems he disappeared for long time from the limelight, then to slowy creep back into our consciousness via college football.

Having waited on him as a bartender I found him to be a condescending stiff.

I think I read he was a WNYer.

Montana

You are looking live...........................

:thumbsup:

It was great to see him on Saturday afternoon doing play-by-play for a big college football game, then see him in the studios on Sunday for The NFL Today.

He was one of my favorites. Just saw him on the 30 for 30 documentary of "Catholics Vs. Convicts".

As I recall, he "disappeared" after making remarks about black athletes being "bred" better than non-black. CBS took a big step away from him after that.

The funniest thing was all his gambling references during the games :)

Living in Vegas, met him around twenty years ago when I was waiting tables. He sat around for about an hour after the lunch crowd and just talked sports. Seemed like an everyday guy who loved sports. Nice guy.

Edited by Gregsbills 74