Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

First order of business for Dennison is to break out the All-22 of every Bills' game with Taylor at the helm. I'm sure the video department will have cut ups waiting for him.

@AroundTheNFL

C2n7j8EUAAMUp-3.jpg

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even saying that I don't like this hire. I'm just reserving praise until I see something that gives me confidence in the passing game.

Sorry that I'm not fawning over this move and hailing Dennison as some offensive guru.

He has basically never been in a position without Kubiak there with him. In his only time without Kubiak supervising him, the Broncos thought it necessary to give the playcalling duties and passing game strategy to the QB coach.

He is a veteran, experienced coach but he is not a proven commodity.

Totally agree. So we hired a guy with nearly zero NFL play-calling experience...

Let's not pretend Dennison is Sam Wyche. He is Curtis Modkins with Gailey retiring, in essence. And our meticulous HC is a defensive guy. Got it.

And there is NO dysfunction in the organization, they are all just working their asses off. Oooookay.

John Murphy, Chris Brown et al will try to spin this hire masterfully, but I am going to ease off of the One Bills Drive Kool-aid until further notice.

There is a real inferiority complex going on here if we derive relevancy from our coordinator hires.

Welcome to TBD!

You realize that article is from 9 years ago, right?

Doc, do not derail his narrative, that's not how this works. First, you make a decision based on nothing, THEN you go looking for articles that support your position and read them so carefully you don't realize they were written during the Bush administration. Finally, when people point out your data is completely outdated, you make some form of general philosophical claim in order to save face.

Edited by ndirish1978

One thing about a QB in West Coast offense

Quarterback - More of a focus is placed on decision-making and accuracy over arm strength in a West Coast system. A quarterback must be able to choose from multiple options and deliver the ball quickly. Mobility is also a big plus.

I remember Bill yelling at me, "Steve, no one knows where you are going to be. You've got to lock this stuff in so you can make reads, give the ball to people on time and make decisions about where to throw the football based on your feet."

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/popularity.html

Welcome to TBD!

Doc, do not derail his narrative, that's not how this works. First, you make a decision based on nothing, THEN you go looking for articles that support your position and read them so carefully you don't realize they were written during the Bush administration. Finally, when people point out your data is completely outdated, you make some form of general philosophical claim in order to save face.

Please enlighten me on why you think Dennison is a good hire.

Secondly, people supporting his hire are pointing to those "outdated" years as support of his experience as an OC in the NFL. So what do you want to base the decision off of? Last year? The Broncos offense was terrible and he was likely getting fired.

Please dispute the points that:

a). he was ever the main playcaller in any position in the past

b). he was ever involved in coordinating the passing game(you know, the thing we've sucked at for almost 15 years)

Because the evidence shows that he is a great OL coach and a figurehead OC. From the outside, it looks like we have hired a run game coordinator(Castillo), the former OC of a terrible passing game(Boras), a RB coach from a team that couldn't run, and an OC whose strength is the running game.

I am just asking: Why should I have confidence that we will be able to develop a passing game or a young QB with the coaches that have been brought in so far?

But I guess I should just be a good little sheep and say "Go Bills! All is well!"

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/9/22/619243/the-broncos-playcalling-ex

Pretty interesting article mentioning Dennison.

Basically reaffirms my concern that they'll need a passing game coordinator and someone to help with playcalling.

Because no one grows, improves, or changes roles and responsibilities since 2008? Not intending snark, it's an interesting read, I'm just skeptical that an article detailing a coach's responsibilities in 2008 represents his experience and responsibilities in the 8 years since then.

But I guess I should just be a good little sheep and say "Go Bills! All is well!"

No you should just not do any research of your own and say "It's the Bills, we're doomed!"

No one knows how this hire will work out, but they guy clearly has a good resume (player, 25+ years of coaching), worked under a respected coach in Kubiak (who called Dennison "the second voice in his head), has respect within NFL coaching circles, had been mentioned in Head Coaching searches over the years and has held the OC position multiple times for multiple teams.

Let's give him a chance before saying flat out "he never called plays and didn't coordinate the passing game, we're doomed!" (unless you were in the room with him over the years, then please, enlighten us).

Secondly, people supporting his hire are pointing to those "outdated" years as support of his experience as an OC in the NFL. So what do you want to base the decision off of? Last year? The Broncos offense was terrible and he was likely getting fired.

b). he was ever involved in coordinating the passing game(you know, the thing we've sucked at for almost 15 years)

Because the evidence shows that he is a great OL coach and a figurehead OC. From the outside, it looks like we have hired a run game coordinator(Castillo), the former OC of a terrible passing game(Boras), a RB coach from a team that couldn't run, and an OC whose strength is the running game.

I am just asking: Why should I have confidence that we will be able to develop a passing game or a young QB with the coaches that have been brought in so far?

Well...at one point a guy who was our RB coach was interviewing for HC. So, this is a step up.

Because no one grows, improves, or changes roles and responsibilities since 2008? Not intending snark, it's an interesting read, I'm just skeptical that an article detailing a coach's responsibilities in 2008 represents his experience and responsibilities in the 8 years since then.

It was not intended to be a representation of where he is as a coach right now. But that period is the only time that he was not with Kubiak. So I think it is relavant info. We are not in a position to hope this guy can groom a QB. Someone with a track record there would be reassuring.

We have not brought in a single offensive coach with a background in the passing game. So the QB coach and WR coach will have alot of responsibility and now become extremely important hires.

I'm not a sunny sort with regard to the Bills, as perhaps you may have gleaned. But Dennison is an objectively smart guy who has worked in well-run organizations for years. And football ain't rocket surgery. It is in fact far easier than masters-level engineering. People need to remember this. Also bear in mind that our RB coach ran a very effective offense this past season. I am not concerned about this hire. In fact, I'm relieved.

Yes. His one year coaching an established QB with an OC who was a pretty prolific QB coach himself does not make me go "Ok, we are set with QB development and in the passing game."

I'm not even saying that I don't like this hire. I'm just reserving praise until I see something that gives me confidence in the passing game.

Sorry that I'm not fawning over this move and hailing Dennison as some offensive guru.

It stands to reason that he will need someone helping coordinating the passing game based on

a). his history with Denver as OC not calling plays or designing passing game strategy or route combos

b). his background in the NFL as an OL coach

c). his history with the Texans not being the main playcaller or offensive strategist

He has basically never been in a position without Kubiak there with him. In his only time without Kubiak supervising him, the Broncos thought it necessary to give the playcalling duties and passing game strategy to the QB coach.

He is a veteran, experienced coach but he is not a proven commodity.

No you should just not do any research of your own and say "It's the Bills, we're doomed!"

No one knows how this hire will work out, but they guy clearly has a good resume (player, 25+ years of coaching), worked under a respected coach in Kubiak (who called Dennison "the second voice in his head), has respect within NFL coaching circles, had been mentioned in Head Coaching searches over the years and has held the OC position multiple times for multiple teams.

Let's give him a chance before saying flat out "he never called plays and didn't coordinate the passing game, we're doomed!" (unless you were in the room with him over the years, then please, enlighten us).

Where does it say that we are "doomed."

All I said was that I am skeptical until I see where the passing game innovation is coming from. And if you do any research on him, you will find that this will be the 1st time that he will be the main guy. So I don't think that skepticism is unfounded in any way.

I just think people suggesting that this is a coup of some sort on the offensive side of the ball need to pump the brakes.

All I said was that I am skeptical until I see where the passing game innovation is coming from. And if you do any research on him, you will find that this will be the 1st time that he will be the main guy. So I don't think that skepticism is unfounded in any way.

I just think people suggesting that this is a coup of some sort on the offensive side of the ball need to pump the brakes.

No one is saying it's a coup. Many are saying we got an experienced , successful assistant coach

True, you didn't say doomed, my bad!

And while it might not be a "coup", I certainly don't see any reason to temper enthusiasm - the guy clearly has some chops in the NFL...

This is definitely a coup. The guy has been associated with 6 super bowls . 6 !!!...He has an extensive working history with a scheme that is very very well suited for the players we have on this team. This hire is awesome. Its the closest thing to continuity for this team other than keeping Anthony Lynn. GO Bills!!

Edited by Jqueazy

True, you didn't say doomed, my bad!

And while it might not be a "coup", I certainly don't see any reason to temper enthusiasm - the guy clearly has some chops in the NFL...

Exactly. We got a well respected and knowledgeable offensive coordinator, and from many reports, the guy we have been targeting and talking to for the job since McCoy took the same position elsewhere for many other reasons other than "I don't want to coach the bills".

Great hire that shows we have talent that actually NFL people want to work with. Loving it.

One thing about a QB in West Coast offense

Quarterback - More of a focus is placed on decision-making and accuracy over arm strength in a West Coast system. A quarterback must be able to choose from multiple options and deliver the ball quickly. Mobility is also a big plus.

I remember Bill yelling at me, "Steve, no one knows where you are going to be. You've got to lock this stuff in so you can make reads, give the ball to people on time and make decisions about where to throw the football based on your feet."

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/popularity.html

The old by-the-book-of-Lavel Edwards WCO is dead......gradually altered by tactics designed to stop it.....like zone blitz concepts........and later by much smaller, quicker defenses.

Dennison had Flacco and Tyrod with him in Baltimore under Kubiak.....neither is a WCO fit and yet they had a very effective offense that could easily have won a SB that year.

They ran a hybrid of Peyton's offense and WCO concepts in Denver in 2015 and coaxed enough production out of Brock Osweiler to win some tough games and earn homefield so I'm not looking for Dennison to come in and run it like Bill Walsh drew it up.