Hackett Hired as new Jaguars OC

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Nate Hackett did an okay job adjusting during his tenure in Buffalo. My biggest complaint with him was that he would call pass plays in which the target was 2 yards shy of the first down marker - usually thrown to Chandler, who was not a YAC TE. But even that got better.

Don't forget, the Bills had a 9-7 record under the Marrone/Hackett regime.

I hope these guys do well in Jax, actually.

We had a top 3 D under Schwartz (which helped us win more games than our game-management offense) and the game that put us over .500 was with NE backups.

Marrone quit on his team because he couldn't get past his ego and Hackett was one of the most uninspiring OCs in recent memory. I won't expend any energy wishing bad will on them, but if they failed, I wouldn't be upset.

We had a top 3 D under Schwartz (which helped us win more games than our game-management offense) and the game that put us over .500 was with NE backups.

Marrone quit on his team because he couldn't get past his ego and Hackett was one of the most uninspiring OCs in recent memory. I won't expend any energy wishing bad will on them, but if they failed, I wouldn't be upset.

This

Maybe Marrone quit the team because of the inept owner who had no succession plan in place.

And playing a NE team with a third string QB who had a broken thumb help us get to ... 7-9 this year.

Let's call a spade a spade and just admit that Marrone did the best with this team since Wade left.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, who can ever forget the Kyle Orton led Bills squad in their seminal victory over the eventual SB Champs who were resting their entire first string in a meaningless game? That was one for the ages for sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brady played the first half, but hey, narrative is king.

Are there specific news articles that support this particular point? I don't think there are and that this is pure speculation on your part...

Am not a fan of Marrone but there seems to be excessive hate on the board for a guy that likely made a pure business decision in his own interest like most people would . He had one year left on his contract and was going into a season where his primary QB was going to be EJ. Not exactly a situation which most NFL coaches would savor. So when faced with a choice of having a bad season and getting fired vs taking 4 MM and running, he made the choice most objective folks would....

We love to bust on Nate Hackett, but if you review his game tapes, his passing schemes were actually very good and he routinely had multiple receivers running open. He put guys in a position to make plays in the passing game, simple as that. He was doomed by poor QB play more than anything else.

And ain't that often the case.

I don't think Hackett is necessarily that bad of an OC, but I'm wary of the Hackett/Marrone combo. After Marrone left, I read some quotes (maybe from Fred Jackson?) suggesting that there was a lot of good stuff in the playbook, but implying that Marrone wouldn't let Hackett unleash it. I.e., Hackett had to follow risk-averse orders from above or whatever.

I do remember that in preseason 2014, we came out with a really interesting uptempo offense, with read-option, "packaged" plays (could be run or pass depending on what how the D looks pre-snap), and generally looking innovative. But that basically all went away by about week 3. I even wondered if Manuel was being instructed to always hand off on the read-option, because DEs were completely ignoring him, but he almost never kept it. Of course, the other possibility is that EJ did a terrible job of reading the DEs.

Also, I thought the Bills' passing game under Hackett was way too reliant on four verticals. Every time I saw an all-22 breakdown, it seemed like every pass play was four verticals.

Regardless of whether he was reined in by Marrone - Hackett's play calling was idiotic. He would run the exact same dive play over and over - it was ridiculous. Even if you are not going to light up the sky with the passing game, at least call some other kind of run play to some other gap. When we coached my son's pop warner team when he was 7 YO and only passed once a game our offense was 100x more inventive than the crap that Hackett was throwing out there.

We love to bust on Nate Hackett, but if you review his game tapes, his passing schemes were actually very good and he routinely had multiple receivers running open. He put guys in a position to make plays in the passing game, simple as that. He was doomed by poor QB play more than anything else.

And ain't that often the case.

It's amazing. When HOU fired their OC, the majority of Bills fans I saw/heard/read understood that he was the fall guy for BO's failures. Yet when have an offense that can't function, run by QB's with no prior success, who never go on to be successful elsewhere, fans insist on blaming our OC and "playcalling."

All-22 analysis really slammed the door shut on that nonsense, for the most part. Ashame it wasn't more prevalent with Hackett was here, otherwise fans would have seen precisely what you mention above (which was painfully obvious).

Can we call it informed speculation?

Are there specific news articles that support this particular point? I don't think there are and that this is pure speculation on your part...

Am not a fan of Marrone but there seems to be excessive hate on the board for a guy that likely made a pure business decision in his own interest like most people would . He had one year left on his contract and was going into a season where his primary QB was going to be EJ. Not exactly a situation which most NFL coaches would savor. So when faced with a choice of having a bad season and getting fired vs taking 4 MM and running, he made the choice most objective folks would....

I thought Nate Hackett did an okay job adjusting during his tenure in Buffalo. My biggest complaint with him was that he would call pass plays in which the target was 2 yards shy of the first down marker - usually thrown to Chandler, who was not a YAC TE. But even that got better.

Don't forget, the Bills had a 9-7 record under the Marrone/Hackett regime.

I hope these guys do well in Jax, actually.

correction. 8-8 under marrone. The Patriots put the rookie in for the 2nd half, they would have smoked us.

Hackett was hired more for his enthusiasm and youth than anything. That's worth something, but the kid wasn't ready. He might be now, I hope he does well down there in the land of empty seats.

The best thing Marrone did was hire Pettine. He ran a fun defense and seemed to have a perfect sense of when to bring 5 or 6 guys. I was hoping Pegula would have given Rex another year and demanded he bring in Pettine to organize the defense and call the games.

I think the more interesting question is why Hackett can't (or doesn't want to) get out from under Saint Doug's shadow. It's not like they've had tremendous success together.

Bortles and the Jags' offense weren't so hot last year. I don't know how likely another OC spot would've been. If I'm Hackett, I'll take any OC job over any position coach job. Don't know if you'll get another chance.

It's amazing. When HOU fired their OC, the majority of Bills fans I saw/heard/read understood that he was the fall guy for BO's failures. Yet when have an offense that can't function, run by QB's with no prior success, who never go on to be successful elsewhere, fans insist on blaming our OC and "playcalling."

All-22 analysis really slammed the door shut on that nonsense, for the most part. Ashame it wasn't more prevalent with Hackett was here, otherwise fans would have seen precisely what you mention above (which was painfully obvious).

Play calling is honestly the funniest because every fanbase in whole league complains about it.