The Trump Economy

GG

The tariffs on metal has reared its ugly head at my work.  Our customer mandates that all the fabricated material that we make equipment out of be sourced with US materials.  We use a lot of aluminum.  Our vendor that fabricates a lot of our parts called to inform us that the US metal market is jacking up their prices to match the increased Chinese prices due to tariffs.  As an example, a 1/2" plate of US aluminum has gone up 65% in the last few weeks. I work for a very small company and the increase in material cost due to US metal companies jacking up their prices to match Chinese metal is going to take a nice junk out of profit margin.  Maybe we can reclassify as a farmer and get some of that sweet corporate welfare money.

• Like (+1) 2

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'd expect more out of you than that, but to use your own words, we've got a guy that had some of his investments go bankrupt but he was able to overcome that and become a billionaire. He's had his ups and downs, but most likely learned a lot more from his failures than being a guy who invested his $10,000 in Microsoft as it was just starting up. You have to admit, he is getting things done.

Please give me 5 bullet points of "getting things done"

10 minutes ago, Hirly5 said:

The tariffs on metal has reared its ugly head at my work.  Our customer mandates that all the fabricated material that we make equipment out of be sourced with US materials.  We use a lot of aluminum.  Our vendor that fabricates a lot of our parts called to inform us that the US metal market is jacking up their prices to match the increased Chinese prices due to tariffs.  As an example, a 1/2" plate of US aluminum has gone up 65% in the last few weeks. I work for a very small company and the increase in material cost due to US metal companies jacking up their prices to match Chinese metal is going to take a nice junk out of profit margin.  Maybe we can reclassify as a farmer and get some of that sweet corporate welfare money.

Not doubting you're feeling some pain but the tariffs on aluminum are not close to 65%, so much of your increase is simply supply and demand. 

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

turn off CNN and read something factual

I have no idea how this relates to my post...I really don't watch any news...none...if there is a big story I will watch one of the evening news...

I try to hone in on results...not blather...if I was a DT fan I guess I would point to the Supreme Court and the Tax package as results...I tend to think the last bunch of "conservative" SCOTUS decisions - mainly CU - led to bad outcomes - so not sure what great decisions there are to look forward to....AFA the Tax package...the easiest think to do is cut taxes...try reducing spending....oh wait the GOP blew spending controls established under BO up....

So maybe you can tell me 5 examples of getting things done....and I mean ACTUALLY done...not started...but started and finished...

Edited by baskin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

No, in this instance you are sounding as much like a lib as Trump sounds like a jerk.

Didn't he talk about reducing the impact of new Iran sanctions by releasing some oil reserves? I doubt he really means it. I think he might be just telling Iran that they really are a pimple on the world's ass and if they want a fight over this we are perfectly situated to give it to them. His 12b "bribe" to the farmers is simply to buy him time to battle it out with China.

What kind of logic is that?

If he wants to show that Iran's oil is inconsequential, then you don't tap the reserve. 

The whole point of tapping the reserve is when you are worried about the supply.  

He's taking a hard line and panicking at the same time.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, baskin said:

I try to hone in on results...not blather...

You fail.

43 minutes ago, baskin said:

Please give me 5 bullet points of "getting things done"

• Keeping Hillary out of office.
  • Making idiots like you look like...well, like the idiots you are.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You fail.

• Making idiots like you look like...well, like the idiots you are.

Gosh, so rational! ?

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Explains so much about your hot takes. 

cmon DR..that in itself is a hot take.

22 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Yes, this sucks. Trump did this on purpose as I go to Italy in a little over a weeks time..and the freaking Euro is rallying vs. the dollar...friggen Trump!!!!! Doing it just to spite me!!!!

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Trump, have a plan?  :lol:

Is there any real evidence Trump has any sort of plan, and not just some cognitive equivalent of epilepsy?

Well, you remember that Pappillion and Louie Dreyfus each had a plan too. :ph34r:

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

cmon DR..that in itself is a hot take.

It's not when you consider Baskin's posting history which is drivel mixed with idiocy. Never a real conversation or desire to engage. 

If your first instinct when "a big story" breaks is to watch the Evening News (regardless of your mArket), rather than investigate / read / study the issue for yourself, you're outsourcing your opinions to literally the worst informed group you could choose. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's not when you consider Baskin's posting history which is drivel mixed with idiocy. Never a real conversation or desire to engage. 

If your first instinct when "a big story" breaks is to watch the Evening News (regardless of your mArket), rather than investigate / read / study the issue for yourself, you're outsourcing your opinions to literally the worst informed group you could choose. 

I have no idea of his takes or ideas..so there is that. But those must be taken at face value, and not based on which news he watches.

And (middle finger emoji to Trump for making the Euro go up today..this guy will be the always be the bane of my existence!!!!!?

• Haha (+1) 1