The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

It's Tiberius's former screen name---Gatorman

OIC. Makes more sense now. I vaguley remember him.

Why would you change your screen name? I could never envision changing mine. A screen name is kinda like a pair of leather boots, fits better the longer you wear them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

OIC. Makes more sense now. I vaguley remember him.

Why would you change your screen name? I could never envision changing mine. A screen name is kinda like a pair of leather boots, fits better the longer you wear them.

Because he occasionally gets banned, and comes back under a new name.

You should consider changing yours.  Yours makes you look like an !@#$.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Because he occasionally gets banned, and comes back under a new name.

You should consider changing yours.  Yours makes you look like an !@#$.

That's funny, he is such a douche he gets banned from a football forum on multiple occasions!!!!?

I like mine just fine. It harkens me back to all the fun I had when I was younger.

We are both @$$es, bro. Life is too short to take everything so serious, especially thine own self!

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

That's funny, he is such a douche he gets banned from a football forum on multiple occasions!!!!?

I like mine just fine. It harkens me back to all the fun I had when I was younger.

We are both @$$es, bro. Life is too short to take everything so serious, especially thine own self!

No, he gets banned on a political forum on a football forum.

Every time I look at your screen name, I hate you.  Don't know why - I don't care enough to analyse it.  I just do.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Every time I look at your screen name, I hate you.  Don't know why - I don't care enough to analyse it.  I just do.  

I grow on people, everybody hates me when they meet me. You are not alone.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Nor spell it correctly.

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

It's getting late I  think the old man is starting to run out of steam. Jeopardy, then Lawrence Welk, then milk of magnesia, then bed.

Tom is an erudite poster and we are lucky to have him here. And for the record, he likes MeTV.

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Tom is an erudite poster and we are lucky to have him here. And for the record, he likes MeTV.

Oh ok I can respect that. I like the classics as well.

I like him and his sense of humor especially. He makes me spit my coffee out daily I laugh so hard.

And I know he is super intelligent, which is why I like him and read his posts.

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

don't think you're special or anything because Tom called you out.  He hates everyone

He doesnt hate (many) posters, that is just his schtick. He is fine. And I am not special, you are right. Just another @$$clown on a messageboard.

14 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Oh ok I can respect that. I like the classics as well.

I like him and his sense of humor especially. He makes me spit my coffee out daily I laugh so hard.

And I know he is super intelligent, which is why I like him and read his posts.

He doesnt hate (many) posters, that is just his schtick. He is fine. And I am not special, you are right. Just another @$$clown on a messageboard.

I like that, a man with self awareness.

Will wages ever catch up in an era of weak unions, mergers, and rising inflation?

Jobs may be plentiful and corporate profits strong, but the US economy is still failing workers. Real wages for nonmanagerial employees have actually fallen over the past year, the latest sign that the gains of our long economic recovery may never trickle down.

The problem is twofold. First, paychecks aren’t growing as fast as you’d expect, given our historically low unemployment rate. Second, inflation is rising, forcing workers to use those slight gains — and more — just to keep up with basic monthly expenses for things like gasoline and rent.

Let’s take those issues one at a time, because workers really are being squeezed on both sides.

When the economy is strong and the unemployment rate dips below 4 percent — as ours did in recent months — workers should be getting sizable raises. It’s a question of leverage. Companies can’t afford to lose employees, because the dearth of unemployed job seekers makes it hard to find replacements. And businesses looking to expand should be forced to poach good workers from rivals, often with the promise of a salary bump.

Somehow, this isn’t happening. Hourly earnings have risen by about 2.7 percent since last year. That’s not nothing, but it’s a lot less than the roughly 4 percent increases seen during the last two economic peaks, in 2000 and 2007.

It’s not entirely clear why today’s workers aren’t enjoying the same boost. Perhaps the job market isn’t quite as good as the unemployment rate would suggest, or maybe consolidation of companies and the decline of unions has lessened workers’ bargaining power. (You can’t blame health insurance and other nonwage benefits, as they are rising at a similarly slow rate.)

Whatever the cause, you still wind up with the same grounding reality: Take-home pay just isn’t increasing as fast as predicted at this point in the economic cycle.

Then comes inflation. Which is central to this story, because wage gains are meaningless if they’re outpaced by price hikes. Increasingly, that’s what’s happening. While pay has risen about 2.7 percent over the past 12 months, prices have gone up 2.9 percent.

It’s not entirely clear why today’s workers aren’t enjoying the same boost. Perhaps the job market isn’t quite as good as the unemployment rate would suggest, or maybe consolidation of companies and the decline of unions has lessened workers’ bargaining power. (You can’t blame health insurance and other nonwage benefits, as they are rising at a similarly slow rate.)

Whatever the cause, you still wind up with the same grounding reality: Take-home pay just isn’t increasing as fast as predicted at this point in the economic cycle.

Then comes inflation. Which is central to this story, because wage gains are meaningless if they’re outpaced by price hikes. Increasingly, that’s what’s happening. While pay has risen about 2.7 percent over the past 12 months, prices have gone up 2.9 percent.

A big chunk of this has to do with energy prices, including a roughly 25 percent jump in the cost of gasoline. But it’s not all about oil. Rents and housing costs have increased a less jaw-dropping but still hefty 3.4 percent in 12 months.

Even if gasoline prices stabilize in the months ahead, workers will have to reckon with the impact of President Trump’s trade war, which is poised to increase the cost of all sorts of goods, from washing machines and refrigerators to cars and Christmas lights.

At the same time, the Federal Reserve is planning to raise interest rates repeatedly over the next 18 months to reduce overall spending and ensure that the unemployment rate doesn’t drop too low. That may be necessary to keep the economy from overheating, but it’s likely to reduce workers’ bargaining power and limit any further improvement in their paychecks.

Which means workers may be missing out on their last, best chance to snatch those raises — before the turn to higher tariffs and rising interest rates.

So perhaps it’s time to call it. Even if this recovery goes through next summer and sets the record as the longest in US history, it may also be remembered as the one in which workers never got their share.

1 hour ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I grow on people, everybody hates me when they meet me. You are not alone.

Kind of like Jock Itch?  It slowly grows on you and then you hate it?:devil:

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Kind of like Jock Itch?  It slowly grows on you and then you hate it?:devil:

Better than Shady's girlfriend. Putting out until she gets a million in jewelry, stops putting out then won't leave your house till you put a hit out on her gold digging @$$!

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's the proper English spelling.  I often do that.  I also pronounce "schedule" as "shedule."  It adds colour conversations.

So you are a Redcoat?

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Better than Shady's girlfriend. Putting out until she gets a million in jewelry, stops putting out then won't leave your house till you put a hit out on her gold digging @$$!

Sounds about right.