The Trump Economy

GG

But then there is this...inflation at a six year high..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-inflation-rates-20180713-story.html

"Prices rose at their highest clip since 2012 over the past year, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

The 2.9 percent inflation for the 12-month period ending in June is a sign of a growing economy, but it's also a painful development for workers, whose tepid wage gains have failed to keep pace with the rising prices."

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Buftex said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-inflation-rates-20180713-story.html

"Prices rose at their highest clip since 2012 over the past year, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

The 2.9 percent inflation for the 12-month period ending in June is a sign of a growing economy, but it's also a painful development for workers, whose tepid wage gains have failed to keep pace with the rising prices."

Could be those higher oil prices are just rippling through the economy. Everything you buy gets delivered by a truck. 

6 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I'm sure a $15 minimum wage will fix that right up...

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Could be those higher oil prices are just rippling through the economy. Everything you buy gets delivered by a truck. 

Could be the capital "hoarded" by corporations freed since 2016 has increased demand for goods and services across the board.

Really, anyone shocked that inflation increased in the past two years is a moron.  Of COURSE it did.  That's what happens in a growing economy.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm sure a $15 minimum wage will fix that right up...

Could be the capital "hoarded" by corporations freed since 2016 has increased demand for goods and services across the board.

Really, anyone shocked that inflation increased in the past two years is a moron.  Of COURSE it did.  That's what happens in a growing economy.

Oh, I could care less if they are morons. You guys got Trump elected by saying he was going to build a stupid fricken wall! Eat it 

"Trump caused the inflation and hurt workers!" 

--Me, just now

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, I could care less if they are morons. You guys got Trump elected by saying he was going to build a stupid fricken wall! Eat it 

"Trump caused the inflation and hurt workers!" 

--Me, just now

I never got Trump elected.  I never said he was going to build a stupid fricken' wall.  I've repeatedly CALLED it a stupid fricken' wall, you mental midget.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Meanwhile, today the EU puts an exclamation point on the question if they're an economic friend or foe.

Will see how this is covered by the press

A link would be nice, considering there's three different stories you could be talking about.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, if the EU and Japan can eliminate most tariffs, why can't the EU and the US?

We were sort of on the way to doing that in the west with trans pacific partnership. But that's dead for us now. And you are right, we should. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

A link would be nice, considering there's three different stories you could be talking about.

I thought it would be obvious that Google's EU5Bn fine was the prime exhibit, but since there are other noteworthy items, that just cements the point that EU is an economic foe.  

It actually wasn't really debatable, until Trump brought it up.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I thought it would be obvious that Google's EU5Bn fine was the prime exhibit, but since there are other noteworthy items, that just cements the point that EU is an economic foe.  

Help me out here, I'm decaffeinated today.

Are you agreeing that the EU is an economic foe or are you saying Trump has made them so?

Just now, joesixpack said:

Help me out here, I'm decaffeinated today.

Are you agreeing that the EU is an economic foe or are you saying Trump has made them so?

They've always been an economic foe, and that wasn't debatable by anyone.  Until Trump decided to point it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

They've always been an economic foe, and that wasn't debatable by anyone.  Until Trump decided to point it out.

Ah, so people are in your mind debating factual things as if they weren't because...trump.

Either that, or they were just ignoring the problem to hope it would go away.

4 minutes ago, GG said:

You'd hope...but it wasn't even obvious from googling.  I found that, the Japan-EU agreement, and an announcement that the EU is sending a trade proposal to us next week (which would or would not make them an enemy, depending on how big a "!@#$ you, you orange doofus" the trade proposal is.)

The Trump administration is being...interesting, to say the least.  In the same sense that Suicide Squad is "watchable."

Just now, joesixpack said:

Ah, so people are in your mind debating factual things as if they weren't because...trump.

Essentially, the former.

The entire rationale for the European common currency and a common market was to combat USA's economic supremacy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

they didn't spend two seconds on history/political science/economics until November 2016, and now think they can suddenly argue because they hate Trump

ignore them unless you are just making fun of them

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Essentially, the former.

The entire rationale for the European common currency and a common market was to combat USA's economic supremacy.  

Which is why, I contend, ALL americans should have been pro-brexit.

Anything to weaken the Euros strengthens us.