The Trump Economy

GG

2 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

I don’t believe half of the sob stories. The math just doesn’t make sense unless you have a mortgage that far outstrips any logical ability to pay it.

Oh I'm sure that most of them are really that stupid.

I have the feeling that these people are enthralled and inspired by stories about how someone paid off their debt in 3 years by making several hundred thousand dollars per year and actually paying their bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

there is also the weekly adjustment to their take home pay to consider. for many Americans, their take home went up considerably. if they did not adjust their withholding status, then it is somewhat to be expected.

Especially for those who itemized in previous years and didn't realize they had to switch to the standard deduction under the new tax law.  They never bothered to change their W4 forms and now are confused on why they have to actually pay the IRS instead of receiving a refund.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Especially for those who itemized in previous years and didn't realize they had to switch to the standard deduction under the new tax law.  They never bothered to change their W4 forms and now are confused on why they have to actually pay the IRS instead of receiving a refund.

I haven’t done complex tax work for five years now and hope people aren’t musing about the subject unless they have been trained in it and have a clue what they are talking about 

On 2/5/2019 at 1:35 PM, keepthefaith said:

Yeah what's that old joke about the 4 guys that go to a bar for beer every day and the richest among them picks up most of the tab until one day the rich guy decides he's done with that leaving the other 3 outraged how much they each now have to pay?

Cartoon of that very thing here.

Edited by Nanker
  • Like (+1) 3

A refund is just returning the excess of what was clawed away from your pay and held by the government

usually its $50 for me plus the credits for my donations and private pension contributions and tuition 

A refund is not earnings or a windfall

Even with $50 as the base I paid usually 40 percent to taxes and remittances 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

While that is true Foxx and intelligent people understand that, these are Trump voters who are upset and we know they are not the sharpest tools in the shed?

I did returns for a dozen years, almost all clients who had a refund of at least $3,500 were very very happy to sign the return 

it was worth it to them aesthetically 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

While that is true Foxx and intelligent people understand that, these are Trump voters who are upset and we know they are not the sharpest tools in the shed?

There’s plenty of leftists on my Facebook feed complaining about how no refund is further proof that Trump hates poor people. 

Take home pay has been higher because of tax reform & people paid less taxes in due to that

So Refunds will be smaller

This is called math

It's also called not lending the govt $$$ interest free by withholding more just to get a refund

But don't let that stop your demagoguing

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Well, tax refunds are down. But don't worry, the super wealthy did get a big tax cut 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/02/10/millions-americans-could-be-stunned-their-tax-refunds-shrink/?utm_term=.1158b34833d8

You didn't watch the video above your last post?  Take a look. It was produced for people like you and you can watch for free. 

Edited by keepthefaith

The Trump Bubble? 

A record 7 million Americans are 90 days or more behind on their auto loan payments, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York reportedTuesday, even more than during the wake of the financial crisis.

Economists warn that this is a red flag. Despite the strong economy and low unemployment rate, many Americans are struggling to pay their bills.

“The substantial and growing number of distressed borrowers suggests that not all Americans have benefited from the strong labor market,” economists at the New York Fed wrote in a blog post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/02/12/record-million-americans-are-months-behind-their-car-payments-red-flag-economy/?utm_term=.adbe92c8b9d9

A car loan is typically the first payment people make because a vehicle is critical to getting to work, and someone can live in a car if all else fails. When car loan delinquencies rise, it is usually a sign of significant duress among low-income and working-class Americans.

^^^^^ @Tiberius , the problem with that analysis is it is mostly in subprime lending where the problems and delinquencies lie. Carmax a few years ago was getting dinged in its earnings cause they could not figure out the subprime space as well.

These are people who received loans, most likely at monster interest rates..who ain't really worried bout their credit rating cause their credit rating is shot anyway..Subprime lending is a B word, no matter what industry you are in

• Like (+1) 2

So the rate of delinquincy is lower...doesn’t tell the story they want, so they go to the absolute number. Now their graph does show that rate is increasing but it’s more to what plezmd1 is alluding to (in fact the article does call that out) than an overall statement on the state of the economy.