Who fills these open QB spots

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree. If there really are that many teams looking for a QB, it will become a bidding war for Taylor. That's why he's never going to renegotiate with the Bills. No reason to. Also why the injury option thing is complete media-generated BS. The Bills would be doing him a favor not picking up his option.

Clinging on to the end. CoT true believers.

Disagree. If there really are that many teams looking for a QB, it will become a bidding war for Taylor. That's why he's never going to renegotiate with the Bills. No reason to. Also why the injury option thing is complete media-generated BS. The Bills would be doing him a favor not picking up his option.

That is great news. Onward and upward ^^^

For the sake of argument if the Bills have a conviction on either Kizer or Mahomes as a prospect then maybe the best approach is to move down in the first round and select one of them and have an additional pick or two to work with. With or without TT this might be a good approach to take. This approach could have been taken with respect to Carr or Bridgewater.

What the Houston/New England game demonstrated in spades is that unless you have a quality qb your ambitions will be snuffed out by the dispiriting bad play of an incapable qb. Houston's good defense was squandered in a game that could have been won if the qb play reached the level of being adequate.

There are a bunch of quality QBs. Brock Osweiler just doesn't happen to be one of them.

He played okay in his limited time playing. But he's a stopgap.

Not really, he had 1 good year and sucked the rest of the time. If you take out the good year he has 29 TDs to 25 INTs, 58.6 completion percentage, and 218 yards per game passing. I would be very surprised if Nick Foles is a starting QB anywhere next year.

For the sake of argument if the Bills have a conviction on either Kizer or Mahomes as a prospect then maybe the best approach is to move down in the first round and select one of them and have an additional pick or two to work with. With or without TT this might be a good approach to take. This approach could have been taken with respect to Carr or Bridgewater.

What the Houston/New England game demonstrated in spades is that unless you have a quality qb your ambitions will be snuffed out by the dispiriting bad play of an incapable qb. Houston's good defense was squandered in a game that could have been won if the qb play reached the level of being adequate.

My dream draft is exactly this. A decent opportunity for a trade up to the mid first and an extra 2nd. If Davis or Williams surprisingly are there, grab them for the QB to throw to. They have Watkins & one of them as 1st & 2nd WRs, they have McCoy & Clay(who can catch) plus Hunter and the others. If one of the top 5 is in the 2nd, you grab Kizer, Mahomes or Kaaya. You use the other pick for the BPA for the Safety position. If one of the 2 WRs isn't there, you grab your highest rated QB in the first with your traded pick and grab the best WR in the 2nd (maybe Kupp, good hands, height, decent slot routes). Use TT's money for resigning Gilmore. Get a FA RT and you have a line to protect your QB properly and the top talent to move the ball. You get a vet bridge QB by trade or FA and let them compete with the new rookie and Cardale to start. Or let the vet start and work one of Cardale or the rookie into the game over the season if neither is deemed ready by the coaching staff at season start.

Use the rest of the picks to fill the D needs, and even pick up Kelly with a late rounder for a gamble, if he is still there. You have a team ready to challenge for a playoff round. If you strike out,and have a bad year you have the OL and offensive talent structure built and are ready to grab a QB high in 2018.

Edited by simpleman

Fantastic topic for off-season speculation. Here is my attempt:

Cleveland - Watson (trade back into 1st).
SF - Grappolo (Trade)
Jets - Mitch T (1st round)
Bears - Foles (Romo won't want to go there, they cut Cutler)
Bills - Cutler and TT battle for starting spot. TT wins.
Broncos - Siemian
Texans -Big winners here: Romo via trade; and Mahomes via draft in 2nd round.

Cleveland - RG3 (Trubisky-draft)
SF - Watson (1st round)
Jets - Kizer (1st round)
Bears - Cutler
Bills - Romo (trade- 2nd rd pick)
Broncos - Tyrod
Texans - Savage

I know you are assuming Rivers is back in SD, everything changes if he's available and I think the Bills trade the number 10 pick to Chargers for him. I could see Romo in Houston then.

I would love it if your predictions turned out correct, and we land Rivers or Romo.

Cleveland - Watson (trade back into 1st). SF - Grappolo (Trade)Jets - Mitch T (1st round)Bears - Foles (Romo won't want to go there, they cut Cutler)Bills - Cutler and TT battle for starting spot. TT wins. Broncos - SiemianTexans -Big winners here: Romo via trade; and Mahomes via draft in 2nd round.

I would love it if your predictions turned out correct, and we land Rivers or Romo.

You think the Bills are going to pay TT AND Cutler? Our talent level would suffer. I wouldn't mind one or the other, but both would be awful. I'd rather have foles and tank next year

Browns- garropolo

Niners- tyrod

Bears- trubiesky

Jets- cutler

Bills- watson (or foles, ugh)

Broncos- lynch or simien

Texans- oswieler

Cleveland - Watson (trade back into 1st).

SF - Grappolo (Trade)

Bears - Foles (Romo won't want to go there, they cut Cutler)

Bills - Cutler and TT battle for starting spot. TT wins.

Broncos - Siemian

Texans -Big winners here: Romo via trade; and Mahomes via draft in 2nd round.

Me too! :D Getting Philip Rivers would be a long shot dream. But, hey I think we need to look outside the box.

Neither is Miami, Tannehill is fine.

He wasn't having a great year when he got hurt. I'm in agreement that Miami and the Vikings are rolling with what they have but they aren't "franchise guys" as we are defining them.

There are a lot of QBs that you don't win because of and don't lose because of. Tannehill, Bradford, Tyrod, Dalton, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, and Flacco are those guys. Then there's the young guys where it's too soon to tell. Then there the guys that hurt you: Osweiler, Cutler, Kaepernick, RG, and Fitzpatrick. Then there are true franchise guys: Brees, Brady, Rivers, Stafford, Cam, Luck, RW, Carr, Ryan, Ben, Rodgers and I guess Eli (he's tough for me).

Cleveland - RG3 will start day 1 but they'll draft Trubinsky - They'll take the Cleveland kid, Jimmy H. is too much of a business man to let the moneyball guys just do their thing. They can sell the local kid while still having plenty of picks later in the draft to help stockpile young talent.

SF - Hoyer starts, they draft Watson - They've preached the importance of culture, Hoyer was somewhat decent when Shanahan was the OC in Cleveland, I think they'll bring him in to be the stopgap with Watson (the "it" culture guy) as the future.

Bears - Matt Barkley (with Kizer drafted) - Barkley wasn't terrible and he's still youngish, I think they take a QB of the future in Kizer but bring back Barkley for a continued run. Kizer is also a Midwest guy and I think he would do well with their fanbase as a departure from Cutler.

I know I have QBs going 1-2-3 and no one else does. I know these QBs are certainly not sure thing guys. However, all 3 check the boxes in regards to character and intangibles and given the cast of retreads there is to choose from outside of the draft I think all three roll the dice on their potential franchise guys. (Also, I want 3 QBs off the board by 10 to push more talent down.)

Jets - They are the biggest wildcard team in the whole mix. I could see them going with a "proven" option, thinking they aren't that far away from being in the playoffs with a guy like Cutler or Kaepernick. Or I could see them mortgaging the farm to trade up to get Trubinsky or Watson. Or I could see them going with a guy like Glennon.

Bills - TT - Assuming Childress is the hire, I think our offense will be focused on ball control. I think TT will redo his contract to make it more palatable and be back. McD has been around mobile QBs for the majority of his career, first McNabb and then Cam. I think the braintrust realizes there's really not better options, though I think we take a guy like Mahomes or Kaaya in round 3-4 to add another body in the room competing with Cardale.

Broncos - Romo - Siemian & Lynch are cheap enough to stay as backups while bringing Romo in, I don't think Elway is going to let the offense vs defense issues go unaddressed.

Texans - Can they do anything drastic given their cap situation? I think Savage and Osweiler will be battling it out all offseason.

I don't think Jimmy G. moves, he's still cheap for another year and Brady is 40, anything can happen with him. I'm sure if someone offered a top 10 pick for Jimmy, they'd trade him, but I don't think that offer is coming.

Cutler and Kaepernick are two I have trouble placing. At this point Cutler has critics with most every team in the league and he may be looking at a severe pay cut and a backup role type of situation. I would say the Jets might make sense as much as anyone, but from Marshall's recent quotes it doesn't seem like he's giving Jay any recommendations to the team. Kaepernick wasn't awful last year, especially given the talent around him and that situation there. San Fran might keep him for a year or he might go somewhere like Houston were he could rehab his value on a 1 year deal.

You think the Bills are going to pay TT AND Cutler? Our talent level would suffer. I wouldn't mind one or the other, but both would be awful. I'd rather have foles and tank next year

Browns- garropolo

Niners- tyrod

Bears- trubiesky

Jets- cutler

Bills- watson (or foles, ugh)

Broncos- lynch or simien

Texans- oswieler

good point about paying TT and Cutler. I can't see the Bills not picking up TT's option unless they get Rivers or Romo, but at the same time, they need to bring-in another guy. Mahomes is a possibility in the draft I suppose.

Cleveland - RG3 (Trubisky-draft)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Jets - Kizer (1st round)

Bears - Cutler

Bills - Romo (trade- 2nd rd pick)

Broncos - Tyrod

Texans - Savage

I know you are assuming Rivers is back in SD, everything changes if he's available and I think the Bills trade the number 10 pick to Chargers for him. I could see Romo in Houston then.

I sincerely hope we don't trade away a first rd pick for a guy that is going to be hanging up his cleats soon.

I'm seeing a lot of Osweiler in Houston. I think that he is definitely on there roster but I cant see how a team that talented will punt on next year. They have to be thinking about drafting a guy, trading for a guy, signing a guy (cheap) or playing Savage.

I think Kizer falls to the 2nd round and Mahomes rises.

I think you'll find Kizer rises higher than he should because his measurables at the combine will be better than most.

There are 7 potential open QB spots in 2017. I am assuming for the purposes of this that Palmer and Rivers play another year and Cousins goes back to Washington. What I am looking for is the name of the QB that starts for these teams next year on opening day. To be clear obvious placeholders like Keenum over Goff don't count. Use Goff as he is the guy that they would be planning on going forward with.

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Bears - Romo (trade)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

If another job opens I'd think Glennon would be next in line.

Cleveland: Watson (rnd 1)

San Fran: Trubisky (rnd 1)

Jets: Cutler

Bears: Kizer (rnd 1)

Bills: Romo

Bronos: Taylor

Texans: Garrapalo

Cleveland: Watson (rnd 1)

San Fran: Trubisky (rnd 1)

Jets: Cutler

Bears: Kizer (rnd 1)

Bills: Romo

Bronos: Taylor

Texans: Garrapalo

Jimmy G in Houston is interesting to me. They are stuck without Brock's contract for another year but if they can bring in Garoppolo for their 1st for example it makes sense. They can pay him next year (when I think that he becomes a FA). That didn't cross my mind but is an interesting thought.

There are 7 potential open QB spots in 2017. I am assuming for the purposes of this that Palmer and Rivers play another year and Cousins goes back to Washington. What I am looking for is the name of the QB that starts for these teams next year on opening day. To be clear obvious placeholders like Keenum over Goff don't count. Use Goff as he is the guy that they would be planning on going forward with.

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Bears - Romo (trade)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

If another job opens I'd think Glennon would be next in line.

Bills Romo, Dallas TT