Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

I tend to think the "Olson a candidate for OC" talk was completely media-fueled speculation, and the Bills were likely going to talk to him about the QB coach position.

The oh-my-god-he-would-rather-coach-QBs-at-LA-than-be-OC-for-the-Bills line of thinking makes absolutely no sense.

I wonder how BBFS is a pathology when we're facing 18 years and counting.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that Rotoworld is always right with their analysis but they are pretty wired in and usually know the scoop. Their analysis is that Olson was getting passed over for the job, not that he passed on the job.

"Olson was in the mix to be the Bills' new OC, but apparently was getting passed over and will take a position coach gig with the Rams. Olson coaxed a big year out of Blake Bortles as the Jaguars' OC in 2015 but was canned by Jacksonville back in October after a horrid start. He was also instrumental in developing Derek Carr in Oakland as a rookie. Olson previously was the Rams' OC back in 2006-07 under then-coach Scott Linehan. Olson's next project is Jared Goff."

I tend to think the "Olson a candidate for OC" talk was completely media-fueled speculation, and the Bills were likely going to talk to him about the QB coach position.

The oh-my-god-he-would-rather-coach-QBs-at-LA-than-be-OC-for-the-Bills line of thinking makes absolutely no sense.

Yup.

Albert Breer says the opposite: Per source, ex-Jaguars OC Greg Olson has pulled his name out of the Bills offensive coordinator search. Was supposed to interview tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/821832545868324864

That just shows how no one really knows. Most of the national guys had him interviewing yesterday. :D :D

Not that Rotoworld is always right with their analysis but they are pretty wired in and usually know the scoop. Their analysis is that Olson was getting passed over for the job, not that he passed on the job.

"Olson was in the mix to be the Bills' new OC, but apparently was getting passed over and will take a position coach gig with the Rams. Olson coaxed a big year out of Blake Bortles as the Jaguars' OC in 2015 but was canned by Jacksonville back in October after a horrid start. He was also instrumental in developing Derek Carr in Oakland as a rookie. Olson previously was the Rams' OC back in 2006-07 under then-coach Scott Linehan. Olson's next project is Jared Goff."

Now it's being spun that Olson's decision was "lifestyle-based" -- he is more comfortable in LA and has two teenage sons there.

i wonder if the media speculation, er, report swelled his head and when they said qb coach he bailed? It is nice in LA most of the year though.

Jesus, Bills fans with BBFS will buy anything. A guy like Olson with a horrible track record as an OC is fired by a crappy Jags team, and yet we believe (because the media reports it) that he is a "favored" candidate for the Bills OC job. Much hand-wringing ensues.

And then, when it's reported he will take a QB coaching position in LA we bemoan the fact that he turned down the Bills for LA.

It really is quite unbelievable.

Olsen could have worked well with 'likely' HC Anthony Lynn. It's amazing that people still put so much substance behind rumors.

Agreed that McDaniels isnt a real option for Buffalo given the NE connection. But disagree that Haley can never become a good HC just because of 1 prior job. Plenty of coaches turn it around their second time around. But again, just using him as an example, not tying my cart to him.

I mean, for as much as I do like Whaley, the talk about the 49ers bringing in Mike Shanahan as GM and Kyle as HC has me jealous.

No other teams interviewed Haley for their HC position. Meanwhile, Olson, who isn't this that and the other, keeps getting OC jobs in spite of what do seem like uninspiring numbers.

People on the inside, GMs, President's, Owners, coaches know what's going on. We don't. But there are reasons for everything. Haley obviously damaged his reputation on his last go around and it's nothing to do w/stats.

No other teams interviewed Haley for their HC position. Meanwhile, Olson, who isn't this that and the other, keeps getting OC jobs in spite of what do seem like uninspiring numbers.

People on the inside, GMs, President's, Owners, coaches know what's going on. We don't. But there are reasons for everything. Haley obviously damaged his reputation on his last go around and it's nothing to do w/stats.

Or he's just not interested in interviewing while the Steelers are still in the playoffs. Nothing is obvious. We're both just guessing.

Edited by DrDareustein

Could say Olson took a bird in the hand with the Rams bc the Bills were non-committal. I never heard McD or Bills say Olson was an OC candidate.

Did you ever hear McD say Frazier was the DC candidate before he was hired?

three more years of suck. these guys can't even find a decent OC. this is what happens when you blow it up and start over.

should have hired f ing Lynn and gotten a 4-3 DC and been done with it. but nooo, they hire defense first and offense last in a QB driven, offense-biased league. now they'll hire some Nate Hackett-type and the O will go to ****.

this franchise is stupid. repeat after me: "three - more - years, three - more - years".

Or he's just not interested in interviewing while the Steelers are still in the playoffs. Nothing is obvious. We're both just guessing.

Even McDaniels and Shanhan interviewed for gigs. But then teams requested them. But your take could be right. However Haley's name didn't come up last off-season for HC gigs of I remember correctly. Again, the others did.

If your take is right it tells me he doesn't really want to be a HC again because if a coach in playoffs doesn't want to interview before playoffs are over he will likely not get a job.

three more years of suck. these guys can't even find a decent OC. this is what happens when you blow it up and start over.

should have hired f ing Lynn and gotten a 4-3 DC and been done with it. but nooo, they hire defense first and offense last in a QB driven, offense-biased league. now they'll hire some Nate Hackett-type and the O will go to ****.

this franchise is stupid. repeat after me: "three - more - years, three - more - years".

What is offense? What is a QB? Bills don't need those things...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.