Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

dude whaley has been here for four years, he and Nix were forced to draft a QB in a terrible draft (this happens all the time to every team, because you NEED a franchise QB to be successful and there are only like 8 of them in the NFL at any given time) and took the best one they thought (and were right, they all sucked but EJ was/is the best). Since then they took a shot at TT to fill that spot, and he only helped the offense become a top 10 scoring offense...some would argue Whaley HAS addressed the QB position to the best of his ability

Even if we get rid of TT (I dont think we should) we should add a QB via FA and the draft, and probably will, so lets not rush to judgement there

Plus he drafted Cardale, so twice in 4 years he's brought in a serious candidate. (The 20 years thing is ridiculous.) You can't realistically bring in a QB every year, unless youre a joke like the Jets. You can't carry a half dozen QB's on a roster waiting to see who pans out, with none getting the reps to fully judge.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are considering his last job as a defensive coordinator when thinking he might be a red flag.

His last coordinator gig after losing the head coaching job in Minnesota was in Tampa Bay in 2014 and 2015.

Defensive Rankings

2014 2015

Total Points Against 25 26

Total Yards Against 25 10

DVOA (defense) 18 18

Rushing YPC -against 7 2

Avg Pass Against 22 18

Pass Completion % 32 32

His Tampa defense was very good against the run and pretty bad against the pass.

If that carries into the Bills 2017 season, then you can expect the Bills defense to improve against the run substantially and be very bad against the pass.

In his last job as a coordinator - teams passed against Leslie Frazier's defense pretty much at will. Notice the league bottom ranking against completion percentages both years.

Maybe it was more personnel than players? Don't know. But it doesn't bode well for a team with Tom Brady in the division. And it also doesn't bode well against a pass happy NFL.

At least we only have 1 good QB in our division. Those numbers are clearly effected by having to face Brees, Ryan, and Cam twice each year.

At least we only have 1 good QB in our division. Those numbers are clearly effected by having to face Brees, Ryan, and Cam twice each year.

Good point. :thumbsup:

I went back as far as 2007 looking at his defenses when he was head coach and defensive coordinator at Minnesota.

His defenses are historically bad against the pass and good/excellent against the run. Don't know if you can give him credit for the head coach years or not. Not sure how involved he was in those defenses. But even as a pure coordinator in Minnesota - his pass defenses were not great against the pass.

Back to 2007 though, his teams have been consistently good to excellent against the run. in 2008 he had the number one ranked defense in yards/carry. In 2007 it was number 2 for the same stat. 2009 it was number 5. 2010 it was number 7. Four years in a row that Minnesota team was outstanding against the run.

And in Tampa they were good against the run too. Yards per carry ranked 7 in 2014 and ranked 2 in 2015. Seems like he must know how to stop the run very well. Passing though?

Edited by PolishDave

He ran more of a cover 3 in Cincy as the DC to Marvin Lewis. He ran the Tampa 2 after becoming a Dungy assistant with the Colts and ran the same D under Lovie in Tampa. His D when he was Head Coach in Minnesota started as more of a cover 3 type scheme and became a Tampa 2 as he went along.

He has experience of both. You can bet pretty strongly McDermott wants to run his scheme.

McDermott runs a lot of modified cover-1, cover-2, and cover-3 with A-Gap pressures, so it's not like it's a huge departure for him to coach.

It's time to give up this crusade, man...

The one thing I don't worry about is that our defense will be too complicated. Frazier was known for very simple schemes. Players will play fast. Let's just hope we do enough to confuse QB's and bring pressure without reaching Rex levels of complexity.

It's time to give up this crusade, man...

Still a serious question. The team fired the guy you wanted gone. We still are stuck with our mensa candidates.

Crusade? I have never started a thread on the subject buddy.

Edited by Peter

Still a serious question. The team fired the guy you wanted gone. We still are stuck with our mensa candidates.

But you've been on a crusade in numerous threads to defend Rex and blame the Bills' "dummy" defenders non-stop. Rex failed -- if his failure was that he didn't recognize his players couldn't execute his defense, it was still failure -- but most of these same defenders did just fine before his arrival.

It's time to move on.

But you've been on a crusade in numerous threads to defend Rex and blame the Bills' "dummy" defenders non-stop. Rex failed -- if his failure was that he didn't recognize his players couldn't execute his defense, it was still failure -- but most of these same defenders did just fine before his arrival.

It's time to move on.

I am sorry that you are unable to handle a dissenting voice. God forbid that anyone should disagree with the multiple anti Rex crusaders on this board. There was another ridiculous anti Rex thread that was started yesterday. I know some of you guys would prefer to be in a circle j--k.

I will continue to post my opinions and comments . . . sorry that I cannot accommodate your need for an echo chamber.

Edited by Peter

I think Rex's primary failure was marrying himself to a system that is so complicated that it takes multiple years for the players to learn it well enough to play well enough. That is just dumb by design when you coach in a "What have you done for me lately league?"

System needs to be simple enough for players to execute reasonably well in year 1. It should not take a professional player several years to really understand a system. Foolish by design.

Rex had enough NFL experience (a lifetime of submersion) that he could probably coach a simpler system at a much higher level - too bad for him.

Edited by PolishDave

I think Rex's primary failure was marrying himself to a system that is so complicated that it takes multiple years for the players to learn it well enough to play well enough. That is just dumb by design when you coach in a "What have you done for me lately league?"

System needs to be simple enough for players to execute reasonably well in year 1. It should not take a professional player several years to really understand a system. Foolish by design.

Rex had enough NFL experience (a lifetime of submersion) that he could probably coach a simpler system at a much higher level - too bad for him.

His primary failure was bringing in his brother. I know this for a fact. Will happily respond to a PM.

I do, I talked myself into that silver lining already. And you know Im usually on the positive side. It just feels like we've already been down this road before.

So in a discussion about offense, you slam the hiring of a DL coach?

Yeah he violated rule numbers 1&2 of coaching

Your system is tailored to players strengths, not the coaches

Your system can't be so complicated that when injuries occur you can't replace the players injured for at least a year, if ever

Edited by horned dogs

Come on, you know better than this. You have hijacked entire threads on your crusade. Not starting a thread on the matter doesn't absolve you of the million "hope you are all happy Rex is gone, you guys got what you wanted" posts you make in threads of any topic.

His primary failure was bringing in his brother. I know this for a fact. Will happily respond to a PM.

I believe this. Obviously it was Rex's responsibility to manage his brother and he failed to do that - Rex strikes me as a coach/person who is too trusting (which is a compliment). But nevertheless, Rex deserved the ax for failing to reign in Rob.