Childress & Olson Both Reported as Out for Bills' OC

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Bills fan living in Minnesota when Childress was HC of the Vikings, I'm inclined to disagree. He was dogmatic about his system-- which was not tailored to the strengths of his players and conservative to a fault (a soundbite of him calling it a "kick ass offense" became a running joke in the local media)-- and a divisive presence within the organization. Players rebelled against him, he publicly blamed his QB for failures in his system/play-calling, and by the time he was fired, the team was in complete tumult.

After he left, when challenged about the design of his offense, he said, "I stand by my record. I'm over .500, by four games." Sound familiar?

Childress is very good when assisting Andy Reid, who calls his own plays and gives Childress very little command of the offense on gameday; but when left to his own devices, designing his own gameplans and calling his own plays, his offenses are significantly less successful.

I think we would be much better served with a coordinator who could adapt his philosophies to the roster and bring the best out of our players, as opposed to a "system first" coach who is either unwilling or unable to maximize the talent already on the roster.

Strong indictment.

Childress as head coach.

First year 26th in points

Second year 15th in points

Third year 12th in points

Fourth year 2nd in points

Now obviously he had Favre in year four but it shows he can call plays when he talent. Good finishes with Frerotte and Jackson at QB.

Good counter.

Olsen the guy fired from Jax and replaced with Nate Hackett let that sink in for a minute. Not in love with Childress either but at least he was a former HC and will provide support to a 1st timer.

Yeah and look at how much the offense improved when Olsen was fired.

Oh wait, it actually got worse.