Analyst rates Tyrod ahead of Cousins

There was just an NFL analyst on Dan Lebatard show (sorry, no link) talking about why he believe Tyrod is better than Cousins. He has a stat he has come up with that reviews yards ADDED to a QB's stats by receivers who make catches on poorly thrown balls, vs. yards SUBTRACTED from a QB's stats by receivers dropping balls they should have caught. He said Tyrod had roughly 100 yards added by good catches but had over 450 yards subtracted by drops. He said that Tyrod has the worst differential he has seen so far and Cousins had the best, as in added yards from good catches with not many drops. He also stated that Derek Carr was high on the added years list as well. It was an interesting take. (did not catch analysts name but he is a new NFL analyst on that show with what sounds like a Scottish accent)

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was probably Cian Fahey. He LOVES Tyrod. About 80% of his tweets are about Tyrod and how good he is. It's actually bordering on obsession.

This is an interesting concept, but like any other stat, it only tells a piece of the story and is completely useless when considered exclusively without taking other things into consideration.

Before this gets out of hand...those stats are completely made up. The Bills had 14 dropped passes this year, the Redskins 11.

Making the argument that Taylor is better than Cousins is very difficult as it is, but using phantom yards as the reason is absolutely ridiculous.

Source for drops:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2016/

Before this gets out of hand...those stats are completely made up. The Bills had 14 dropped passes this year, the Redskins 11.

Making the argument that Taylor is better than Cousins is very difficult as it is, but using phantom yards as the reason is absolutely ridiculous.

Source for drops:

Thanks Fridge was staying out if this one

It was probably Cian Fahey. He LOVES Tyrod. About 80% of his tweets are about Tyrod and how good he is. It's actually bordering on obsession.

This is an interesting concept, but like any other stat, it only tells a piece of the story and is completely useless when considered exclusively without taking other things into consideration.

It's a point. I had that thought watching GB/Giants that I couldn't see our guys making catches on a lot of Rodgers throws.

Edit: I'm not sure how drops are defined, but I think it's a ball that hits the receivers hands (and is in some reasonable target window? ie wasn't an incredible leap that just got his fingers on it?).

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about these incredible, dive for the ball and tuck it in/fight for the ball and wedge it against your butt kind of catches I saw the GB wideouts making.

Can anyone else remember our WR routinely hauling those in?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

It's a point. I had that thought watching GB/Giants that I couldn't see our guys making catches on a lot of Rodgers throws.

Edit: I'm not sure how drops are defined, but I think it's a ball that hits the receivers hands (and is in some reasonable target window? ie wasn't an incredible leap that just got his fingers on it?).

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about these incredible, dive for the ball and tuck it in/fight for the ball and wedge it against your butt kind of catches I saw the GB wideouts making.

Can anyone else remember our WR routinely hauling those in?

Yeah - thats a hard thing to quantify. Those things that aren't really drops.. poor throws that a receiver snags...

Hmmmm not getting into a drop discussion

then why post anything at all?

"Just came in to comment I am not going to comment in this thread"

Thanks for the heads up guy.

Thread response:

It is an interesting stat...one piece of a huge narrative. It is extremely hard to evaluate any QB if you are not privy to about 50 different pieces of information. Thankfully we have an entire coaching staff devoted to doing this. Hopefully they come to the correct decision about TT future, and hopefully the money has nothing to do with it. Its the NFL, you overpay for QBs (overdraft, over pay) if your staff feels hes the right guy.

Source for drops:

14 drops? Seriously? That's less than one a game, and we had a lot of games with multiple drops. This stat seems way low to me.

I think they put it well on WGR this morning when talking about ian rappaport's comment that Tyrod is top 15 QB. If you are an analyst or reporter who only see the highlights and the stat line, it's easy to like Tyrod. He makes some impressive plays. If you are a fan who has watched every down over the past two years, it's very hard to take the "top 15" comment seriously.

I think they put it well on WGR this morning when talking about ian rappaport's comment that Tyrod is top 15 QB. If you are an analyst or reporter who only see the highlights and the stat line, it's easy to like Tyrod. He makes some impressive plays. If you are a fan who has watched every down over the past two years, it's very hard to take the "top 15" comment seriously.

I heard that too. But The same thing could be said about 20 other QBs. What do you think the Andy dalton's and Flacco's of the world look like on a weekly basis.

14 drops? Seriously? That's less than one a game, and we had a lot of games with multiple drops. This stat seems way low to me.

The stat of drops is easily the dumbest stat that is kept and still used by fans. It's soooooooo subjective. People I watch the games with almost never agree on what constitutes a drop and what doesn't. And there is never a theory attached to it, like, it's not as if one way to look at it is if a WR gets both hands on the ball. It's always just the eyeball test. One guy will say that was too tough of a catch. One guy with say it's a drop. One guy will say he could have caught it but it was more of a bad pass. One guy will say the defender made a good play so it's not a drop.

There was just an NFL analyst on Dan Lebatard show (sorry, no link) talking about why he believe Tyrod is better than Cousins. He has a stat he has come up with that reviews yards ADDED to a QB's stats by receivers who make catches on poorly thrown balls, vs. yards SUBTRACTED from a QB's stats by receivers dropping balls they should have caught. He said Tyrod had roughly 100 yards added by good catches but had over 450 yards subtracted by drops. He said that Tyrod has the worst differential he has seen so far and Cousins had the best, as in added yards from good catches with not many drops. He also stated that Derek Carr was high on the added years list as well. It was an interesting take. (did not catch analysts name but he is a new NFL analyst on that show with what sounds like a Scottish accent)

this why stats are garbage. It's clear to see the TT is a very poor passer, which is THE most important part of being a QB. All the other things TT can are great but with out the passing it can't work.