McDermott New HC per JLaCan - new jw tweets re: Whaley & TT

Reed83HOF

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/sean-mcdermott-meeting-with-pegulas-on-wednesday/

"McDermott, who has had other interviews both last year and this year, has had no other offers. If he wants to be an NFL head coach now, he’ll need to accept the job in Buffalo. Even if it will be harder for him to succeed in Buffalo given the blurred lines and undefined roles and responsibilities in the front office."

"McDermott needs to know who has the power — both on paper and as a practical matter. What does G.M. Doug Whaley actually do? What does team president Russ Brandon actually do? Who will I be dealing with when it comes to running the team?"

This is looking like another Pegula hire as they are conducting the second interview from their home in Fla.

ron-howard-the-dilemma-set.jpg

Ah! got to keep the tire fire narrative going- even though it doesn't exist! You're wrong Florio and Brinson

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always like having an ex HC on the staff of a new HC. Preferably on the opposite side of the ball. We saw how well the team and D did when Schwartz worked w Marrone. An ex HC gets what a HC has to deal with, If the two develop or have a good relationship it will pay dividends on the field.

In a win now league, the HC needs to asses what the talent is on his roster and find a cord he feels can work with a win with that talent. The Bills have a very powerful run attack on O with a very good line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/sean-mcdermott-meeting-with-pegulas-on-wednesday/

"McDermott, who has had other interviews both last year and this year, has had no other offers. If he wants to be an NFL head coach now, he’ll need to accept the job in Buffalo. Even if it will be harder for him to succeed in Buffalo given the blurred lines and undefined roles and responsibilities in the front office."

"McDermott needs to know who has the power — both on paper and as a practical matter. What does G.M. Doug Whaley actually do? What does team president Russ Brandon actually do? Who will I be dealing with when it comes to running the team?"

This is looking like another Pegula hire as they are conducting the second interview from their home in Fla.

Maybe Whaley signed off on him and Pegula's finishing up. Where I work the engineering manager interviews engineers and makes the recommendation to the CEO who conducts final interview

And their offense was terrible.

Agreed. They went to the playoffs that year as the division winner with an 8-8 record. So I would call that backing into the playoffs. With Brady in the division do we see the Pats going 7-9 so we could back in with 8-8, I think not.

Just who ever is the Bills coach. Please for the love if god bring the Bills into Modern football and not 1980s and 1990 concepts and push it as innovative to me.

DJ did it with the Tampa 2 (even after teams started breaking it with these TEs)

Rex did it with the antiquated 4-6

Marrone did it with the Ground and Pound (yes was here)

Heck really the only one that was a bit innovative was Chan.

McDermott screams "punt on 4th and 1 in opponent territory" to me.

Because it doesn't matter if you can rush your way to 50 pts if your team can't march down the field in a 2-minute drill and win a game in the fourth quarter, that's why. Do you actually watch the games or just read the stat line after?

Lynn would not be the OC, so how would that represent continuity on offense?

I feel sad when people have to call themselves smart, it's like you gave yourself a gold star and are walking around waiting for people to ask what it's for.

Oh and seriously, Screw PFT. I am sick and tired of their pissy little articles. I swear Florio actually thinks he's super witty.

The point of football is to score more points than your opponents. The Lynn/TT O scored points. Enough points that it should have led to more wins IF the defense stopped the other team from scoring.

This wasn't a perfect offense. It couldn't always move the ball through the air so you're complaint has some justification.

But, given that the objective of the offense is to score points, it was a good offense. 7th best in the league at scoring before the final, meaningless game.

Have the Chargers and 49ers gone on the record saying "he's off our list"? 'Cuz otherwise why are we his only hope of HC?

It went right over your head. As usual

I agree, I was just challenging the premise of your argument which I understood it to be that he would need a certain type of QB to be able to understand the complexities of his offense.

well, in that case ill stand by that the challenge you made wasnt that great and i hope his plan isnt to just get by with a defense carrying him and the qb going improv the last 2 minutes of games. yea, he maximized the situation but it wasnt a good situation or an offensive success story.

if whaley has recommended him as option A, i could very much see him wanting to meet with ownership to discuss structure and get assurances of roles. pegula could and should do that even if he hates the guy.

we just dont know behind the scenes right now.

I wish it was a simple as every makes it out.

No you really can't. Every team has to be able to run a 2 minute drill and not be 1 dimensional on offense to win consistently. You have to be able to come from behind.

I think the fact we won 7-8 games the last 3 years without a competent 2 minute drill argues that with a little better D, we would be able to win more "consistently" and perhaps make the playoffs, but certainly to control our own fate about getting into the playoffs and to not just get there but WIN playoff games, we have to be able to come from behind. This really should not be a question.

Who says there are blurred lines and undefined roles within the Bills organization?

Just because things aren't clear to the public doesn't mean there's no clarity at OBD.

I imagine roles and responsibilities undergo a periodic review as often happens in the business world. They may be somewhat negotiable with a new coach coming on board.

McDermott, Whaley, the Pegulas et al might be working these details out today.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Who says there are blurred lines and undefined roles within the Bills organization?

Just because things aren't clear to the public doesn't mean there's no clarity at OBD.

I imagine roles and responsibilities undergo a periodic review as often happens in the business world. They may be somewhat negotiable with a new coach coming on board.

McDermott, Whaley, the Pegulas et al might be working these details out today.

That's what it sounds like based on the espn article.

In recent days, McDermott has received encouraging answers to his questions about the team's front office structure and how it would work day-to-day if he took the job, the sources said. McDermott is not seeking "control" as much as he is seeking specifics about who's responsible for what and how they'll all work together, according to the sources.