What difference if your team makes the playoffs?

Dr. K

Having a look at the Detroit-Seattle and the Miami-Pittsburgh games, it comes to me how odd it is for us all to suffer and moan about the Bills not making the playoffs for so long, as if their making it would really make any sort of difference. For half the teams all you get is another humiliating loss like the ones suffered by the Lions and the Fins (not that I would ever shed a tear for Miami). Not to mention the lame ending of Oakland's season. And the winners this week are likely to go down badly next week.

To put so much emotional weight on making the playoffs is a prescription for misery. And if they don't get wiped out, then you lose the way the Bills did to Tennessee, and suffer for the next twenty years from that.

Edited by Dr. K

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for us it's more of a stigma now. Don't want the drought to continue to be a narrative looming over us. But obviously I'd rather be out of the playoffs for 20 years and then win a championship a la the Kansas City Royals than whatever the Lions and Dolphins just did.

The end of this year has felt pretty hopeless.

Losing playoff games and each of those four Super Bowls were very depressing - on one level even more so - but we seem to have so many questions and unknowns now.

That's why I don't care to see Taylor stay on the team. With decent coaching they could "get to the playoffs," but, that would be it.

The Raiders fell apart after losing their #'s 1 & 2 QBs. That's a pretty good team that can continue to challenge. Detroit is not that good overall and making it is all they'll be able to do.

Having a look at the Detroit-Seattle and the Miami-Pittsburgh games, it comes to me how odd it is for us all to suffer and moan about the Bills not making the playoffs for so long, as if their making it would really make any sort of difference. For half the teams all you get is another humiliating loss like the ones suffered by the Lions and the Fins (not that I would ever shed a tear for Miami). Not to mention the lame ending of Oakland's season. And the winners this week are likely to go down badly next week.

To put so much emotional weight on making the playoffs is a prescription for misery. And if they don't get wiped out, then you lose the way the Bills did to Tennessee, and suffer for the next twenty years from that.

the Steelers destroyed KC earlier in the year. Nothing is guaranteed. Anything can happen once you get in. Sure, you can be like the Bengals and not win a post-season game since 1990, but you have to have a ticket to the game (the Playoffs) to have a chance to win.

Plus, you never suck badly enough to draft high and get good.

If the Bills made the playoffs and lose ala Miami, the Bills meme will turn into "23 years without a playoff win." Book it.

of course it would, that's what it is in every city without a playoff win. We don't have one since 1995, which itself is pretty pathetic (3rd worst in NFL).

Plus, you never suck badly enough to draft high and get good.

The idea that you need to "suck badly" to get better really does not apply to perrenial playoff teams. Look at the Steelers D today. They make the playoffs almost every year. Bud Dupree (2nd year guy); Truitt; and Hargrave all looked great. You can find quality starting talent anywhere in the first round. Having a QB that can get you into the playoffs though is another issue.

of course it would, that's what it is in every city without a playoff win. We don't have one since 1995, which itself is pretty pathetic (3rd worst in NFL).

Which is why it's the perfect failure meme after we blow up the playoff drought. It even sounds worse.

The idea that you need to "suck badly" to get better really does not apply to perrenial playoff teams. Look at the Steelers D today. They make the playoffs almost every year. Bud Dupree (2nd year guy); Truitt; and Hargrave all looked great. You can find quality starting talent anywhere in the first round. Having a QB that can get you into the playoffs though is another issue.

This continues to be the only constant among the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, etc.

Because I want that monkey off our back, that's why. I want the week long build up of a playoff game. I want to go to or host a playoff party. I want that feeling back that we are heading in the right direction. Honestly, I don't care if they get crushed in round one. Getting that monkey off the back of the franchise and the fans would be huge IMO.

Edited by OhDozeBills

Making the playoffs is the MINIMUM measurement of a good season.

If you are so miserable that you don't value having a good season then you need to get some anti-depressants or stick to bird watching.

It's entertainment, that's all.

I agree you have to make the playoffs to win the superbowl, obviously. I don't know what's worse though, making the playoffs and losing for 20+ straight years or making the playoffs and getting blown out every year? Just missing the playoffs, leaving your team with a mid teens draft pick and less chance at a superstar difference making player near the top of the draft?

i dont know man

Im usuallly always pretty upbeat about this team......but the fact that a Rex Ryan (supposidly a defensive genious) let a top 5 D turn into the abortion it was.....when I was expecting NOTHING from our offense when Matt Cassel was supposed to be the qb and it turns into the 7th ranked.

Just really dissapointed