Chargers 5th team to request interview with Anthony Lynn

YoloinOhio

This has a lot to do with the Rooney Rule. Many of the other coaches who would fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement are preparing for playoff games this weekend, meaning they aren't available to be interviewed right now. The list includes Teryl Austin (Lions), Vance Joseph (Dolphins), Kris Richards (Seahawks). I think there is some interest in Lynn, but I'm not buying that he gets hired anywhere but maybe with the Bills.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As fans, I think we all need to understand that there is a whole hell of a lot that we don't know. I don't know if anyone on this board knows Anthony Lynn personally, but a lot of NFL people do. The NFL is a small circle, relatively speaking, and if Anthony Lynn is getting this many interviews, it's because he is respected in the community as a smart football guy, and a leader.

Does this mean he'll be successful? I don't know. But I don't understand why people are confused by the amount of love he's getting around the league.

Lynn hasn't had much success getting promoted, but he finally got his shot and did well as OC this year. Tyrod is his QB will that prevent a conflict with Whaley and management assuming that's what they discussed in his interview today?

This has a lot to do with the Rooney Rule. Many of the other coaches who would fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement are preparing for playoff games this weekend, meaning they aren't available to be interviewed right now. The list includes Teryl Austin (Lions), Vance Joseph (Dolphins), Kris Richards (Seahawks). I think there is some interest in Lynn, but I'm not buying that he gets hired anywhere but maybe with the Bills.

Harold Goodwin is black and currently interviewing with multiple teams.

Requests are in for multiple teams to interview Joseph and Austin, they just can't physically take place until they are out of the playoffs.

You state this as a fact. How do you know that? Is it that hard to comprehend that black people may merit consideration because teams think they may be a good option for HC?

I agree on this matter. There were a Hispanic and Asian coach and neither qualified as a minority. It should not be labelled as minority advancement but what it is - aid for black coaches because majority of players are black.

That's actually not true. Ron Rivera checks the Rooney Rule box. It's intent originally may have been to get more black coaching candidates but it reaches further.

On another note anyone that thinks Lynn is getting interviews because of the Rooney Rule isn't paying attention to the candidates. Yolo has referenced a bunch but there are a lot of good minortity candidates this year. Goodwin, Lynn, Richards, Austin and Joseph to name a few. This is an exciting time where people are getting interviewed because of their coaching and not to check a box. This is real progress.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's actually not true. Ron Rivera checks the Rooney Rule box. It's intent originally may have been to get more black coaching candidates but it reaches further.

On another note anyone that thinks Lynn is getting interviews because of the Rooney Rule isn't paying attention to the candidates. Yolo has referenced a bunch but there are a lot of good minortity candidates this year. Goodwin, Lynn, Richards, Austin and Joseph to name a few. This is an exciting time where people are getting interviewed because of their coaching and not to check a box. This is real progress.

Correct.

No matter what people think of the Rooney rule, the biggest issue with lack of hiring black coaches back in the day was lack of coordinators . That's usually the feeding ground for coaching. I think that's where most of the progress was made recently, and the Rooney Rule probably isn't needed anymore because there are many qualified coordinators around the league, who also happen to be black.

A Lynn has said himself he is aware that teams may be inclined just to interview him for Rooney Rule purposes and that he is similarly inclined not to interview when he feels that way. At this point the only evidence we have of teams' motivations is the fact that Lynn is actually going to the interviews. As such, we should take him at his word and presume that the interviews are, at least on the surface, being conducted in earnest.

I just don't understand where all of this Lynn love is coming from.

I think it's because you're looking at Lynn's thin resume.

Folks in the NFL know Lynn the man. They know his leadership, his football intellect, his drive, etc.

People who know him tend to say they're impressed by him.

Look at the coaches he worked for prior to Jets.

Certainly an impressive list if they all recommend him.

Add in that he was a NFL football player this adds connections he has.

Surprised he is getting interviews? No.

Personally I think he has better shot at being an OC.

I like Lynn alright but I don't want to go through the experiment of whether someone with such little coordinator experience can be a HC. Just my personal preference. I know there's loads of examples where experience doesn't mean much but it's what I think this team needs. I think we're a team that needs real direction. I think someone like Haley or even Spagnuolo is what I'd like to see.

No one was judging a guy that's coached 16+ years in the NFL on one game started by EJ Manuel.

.....With a whole one week notice. All I'll say is benching Adolphus and the lack of penalties in the game were eye opening, in a good way. Intriguing indeed.....