MMQB: Peter King on the Bills' HC Search

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King Retweeted The MMQB

My mailbag is up. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy? That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of you guys refused to believe me when I predicted this.

Who knows - maybe we will get lucky. Maybe we will end up somehow hiring someone about whom we can all get excited and rally around . . . . .

John Clayton of ESPn said the same crap last time the Bills were looking for a coach and we landed Rex. Clayton was adamant that Buffalo was a job that Rex would not take.

Maybe this stuff is true and it's also possible that media are lazy and just writing stuff they find on the Buffalo News.

Beggars can't be choosers. We may not get the "hottest guy," but none of these other coordinators will turn us down to remain as coordinators.

Also, I don't get King's logic on Tyrod Taylor. According to him, Tyrod's benching last Sunday was an obvious sign that the organization is done with him. Huh? How can you make that leap?

John Clayton of ESPn said the same crap last time the Bills were looking for a coach and we landed Rex. Clayton was adamant that Buffalo was a job that Rex would not take.

Maybe this stuff is true and it's also possible that media are lazy and just writing stuff they find on the Buffalo News.

I think there is a HUGE difference between King and Clayton.

I stopped listening to Clayton on WGR because he does not seem to offer anything as his opinion (even though it is sometimes characterized as more than that). Most guys on this board would do about as well as Clayton.

I consider Peter King to be a cut above Clayton at least.

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King Retweeted The MMQB

My mailbag is up. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy? That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

I like King. He's pretty well connected in the NFL. Typically has good sources. When he calls, players, coaches and front office people usually answer.

But this was not insightful. I'm not even convinced it's entirely accurate.

If I'm a DC or OC hoping to be a HC for another team, I won't spend a lot of time watching pressers. Nor do I care much what's said - it's all just PR.

I will care about these things:

* What does the roster look like? We have a .500 roster - better than most new HCs.

* How much money will I have for my assistants? Pegula's willing to pay.

* Who's my QB? TT isn't worse than most QBs on bad teams with HC openings.

* How much will I be paid? Pegula will open the checkbook.

* Quality of Life? Different coaches will evaluate life in Buffalo differently.

* Do I like the people I'll be working with? Many haven't yet met Terry, Kim and/or Doug. But Terry and Kim seem like real nice people.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think there is a HUGE difference between King and Clayton.

I stopped listening to Clayton on WGR because he does not seem to offer anything as his opinion (even though it is sometimes characterized as more than that). Most guys on this board would do about as well as Clayton.

I consider Peter King to be a cut above Clayton at least.

A$sho!e you took everyone of my responses! Good Job!!!

The Bills might not be the most attractive job but who is out there that we need to compete for? Kyle Shanahan is the only coordinator that more than 2 teams might want. But the Bills already interviewed him last time and he didn't even beat out Hue Jackson or Rex.