MMQB: Peter King on the Bills' HC Search

Wow. Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like the collective board is clueless about the reality of how the rest of the country feels about this franchise.

I thought it impossible, but Whaley's presser created a new low for this team, he came across as incompetent, the Pegulas as a couple of amateurs and Brandon as someone doing his best to insulate himself for any and all blame so he isn't fired.

Meanwhile, on this board we get the same old ass kissing lackeys defending all of the above and blaming the media

It seems like a lot of Bills fans are as dysfunctional as this team

I live in Dallas and I can tell you definitively not only is national media trashing this team, but every NFL fan (I've spoken to many) is doing the same.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

Wow. I live in Seattle and talk with an ex Hawk from time to time. I don't get the same feeling you get. The people here view Buffalo as just another NFL club with maybe three main distinguishing characteristics, (1) it's cold and snowy in Buffalo, (2) the new owner is rich, (3) the Bills haven't been to the playoffs in forever - though not a horrible team lately.

The fans here in Seattle, including the ex player, are not trashing the team. In fact, most see it as a positive that we fired Rex. The rest is just soap opera.

By the way, things are far worse in San Francisco. There the media is asking the co-owner and CEO, Jed York, why he stopped at Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke? Why didn't he fire himself too? Hilarious.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources reporting that any Bills potential head coach will do their due diligence and confer with Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason. This came from Adam Schefter, confirmed by Ian Rapaport.

Not buying in until I hear it from the man, Jason LaCanfora.

People aren't laughing at the Bills because of Rex, they are laughing because of Whaley, Brandon and Pegula.

Worse than laughing is the pity and how irrelevant this franchise has become

You are deflecting for what purpose, to defend Whaley, Brandon or Pegula or all three ???

I agree that Rex should have been fired, hell, he should have never been hired in the first place.

But the issues with this franchise are so much deeper than the head coach.

Scroo "people".

It's like when "people" make cracks about my degenerate loser booze-hound brother. They may be right, but they're not allowed to. Only I am.

Broncos I get, as the defending Super Bowl Champs and 9-7 with a top notch president.

Jags? 3-13, good Fantasy QB, but not a lot of talent on the roster. No history, weak fan base.

Rams? 4-12, questionable QB you have no choice but to utilize, bad roster, no offense, missing draft picks

49ers? 2-14, owner who fired a coach after a single year, and purged of talent from a few years ago

Chargers? 5-11, good QB, questionable ownership, uncertain future city/stadium, indifferent fan base, weak roster

So if you aren't Elway's first choice, explain to me why Pegula pulling the trigger in the middle of a conversation one week early when challenged by a dead man walking with a big mouth is a big deal? Explain why management avoiding having an injury in a meaningless game causing them to pay huge bucks to a player they aren't sure about healthy is some huge deal (while other teams rest players week 17 for more admirable reasons). Explain why having a GM who focuses on adding talent to the roster and keeps his mouth shut all season long is some incredible impasse?

This team is Tyrod or better at QB, the top rushing attack in the NFL, and hopes to add full seasons of healthy play by Watkins, Dareus, Ragland, and Shaq, plus drafts higher than any team that was even sniffing the playoffs and has salary cap flexibility.

And has one of the crazy loyal fan bases around, a big home field advantage, and was likely one Reggie Bush end around away from making the playoffs (okay a stretch, but if we hit that field goal to beat the Fish, and then take out the Jets, all of our help ended up happening). And if you can somehow turn a 7-9 team into a lucky 9-7 team or a 10-6 team you are suddenly a multi-decade hero?

Nah. I buy some of the disfunction, I wouldn't have minded if Whaley would have been fired, although it would have left a knowledge vacuum for the hiring process, and wouldn't have minded some better PR over the last couple weeks, but this is a great opportunity for a HC to step in to, and if he can't stand Whaley and needs complete control, just ask to speak to Terry privately after the interview process, because you know he has the guts to pull the trigger on that move if he feels it will be best for the team.

Now we just have to ignore the talking heads, interview the strongest candidates, make a great offer, and add in a couple great coordinators as well.

Clowns, if you do a little homework you can see how multiple stories in this case have spun off all from one person's bull **** "sources close to the team say" and how many of these stories actually have no quoted content and are conjecture. It makes it look like stories are popping up from all sorts of leaks but its really from the same launch point. Wtvr though. 50% will go one way and 50% the other.

agreed 1000% with the above and all preceding posts by TX. You don't have to live outside Bflo. to see the utter ineptitude at all levels, and to blame it all on "the local media" is more Kool-Aid being consumed than at the Jonestown Massacre

of course you do

People aren't laughing at the Bills because of Rex, they are laughing because of Whaley, Brandon and Pegula.

Worse than laughing is the pity and how irrelevant this franchise has become

You are deflecting for what purpose, to defend Whaley, Brandon or Pegula or all three ???

I agree that Rex should have been fired, hell, he should have never been hired in the first place.

But the issues with this franchise are so much deeper than the head coach.

who are people? You and your son and whatever family members you can get to listen to your dinner table hot takes? Please

The Bills always win the off-season, but this dumpster fire of a clown show is upsetting the Pollyanna delusion of Bills grandeur, and they are none too pleased. Don't worry, Russ is on it, pretty soon all will be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows again.

didn't know you felt this way

I have no problem with taking the organization to task when they deserve it. I've done it myself. But, it cuts both ways, you should give credit when it is due.

This is entertainment and I assume many others come on here for info and a little lively debate. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong.

What I can't understand is the same crew that comes on day after day, month after month, and are beyond negative about everything Buffalo Bills.

News flash: It's making you miserable to be a supposed Bills fan. You should find something you enjoy to do.

this is a very reasonable statement

Broncos I get, as the defending Super Bowl Champs and 9-7 with a top notch president.

Jags? 3-13, good Fantasy QB, but not a lot of talent on the roster. No history, weak fan base.

Rams? 4-12, questionable QB you have no choice but to utilize, bad roster, no offense, missing draft picks

49ers? 2-14, owner who fired a coach after a single year, and purged of talent from a few years ago

Chargers? 5-11, good QB, questionable ownership, uncertain future city/stadium, indifferent fan base, weak roster

So if you aren't Elway's first choice, explain to me why Pegula pulling the trigger in the middle of a conversation one week early when challenged by a dead man walking with a big mouth is a big deal? Explain why management avoiding having an injury in a meaningless game causing them to pay huge bucks to a player they aren't sure about healthy is some huge deal (while other teams rest players week 17 for more admirable reasons). Explain why having a GM who focuses on adding talent to the roster and keeps his mouth shut all season long is some incredible impasse?

This team is Tyrod or better at QB, the top rushing attack in the NFL, and hopes to add full seasons of healthy play by Watkins, Dareus, Ragland, and Shaq, plus drafts higher than any team that was even sniffing the playoffs and has salary cap flexibility.

And has one of the crazy loyal fan bases around, a big home field advantage, and was likely one Reggie Bush end around away from making the playoffs (okay a stretch, but if we hit that field goal to beat the Fish, and then take out the Jets, all of our help ended up happening). And if you can somehow turn a 7-9 team into a lucky 9-7 team or a 10-6 team you are suddenly a multi-decade hero?

Nah. I buy some of the disfunction, I wouldn't have minded if Whaley would have been fired, although it would have left a knowledge vacuum for the hiring process, and wouldn't have minded some better PR over the last couple weeks, but this is a great opportunity for a HC to step in to, and if he can't stand Whaley and needs complete control, just ask to speak to Terry privately after the interview process, because you know he has the guts to pull the trigger on that move if he feels it will be best for the team.

Now we just have to ignore the talking heads, interview the strongest candidates, make a great offer, and add in a couple great coordinators as well.

cmon man, bunch of bull **** right there. You are talkin a bunch of nonsense on here like people are just gonna drink that **** up. Nah jk. Good **** right here.

Clowns, if you do a little homework you can see how multiple stories in this case have spun off all from one person's bull **** "sources close to the team say" and how many of these stories actually have no quoted content and are conjecture. It makes it look like stories are popping up from all sorts of leaks but its really from the same launch point. Wtvr though. 50% will go one way and 50% the other.

ag

Ahem..thanks

Edited by BaaadThingsMan

I always wonder what "around the league" really means. Carucci said the same thing in an interview and then indicated that he meant the various MEDIA outlets around the league thought the conference was bad. That's a bit weak.

It means "I asked everyone in my circle and had a few people actually comment on it differently".

It's like the "vaccination causes autism" approach. You ask enough people and someone is likely to have a conflicting view. I'm sure "Hitler wasn't that bad" and "Maybin wasn't that bad" have also been said by his "around the league" people.

Edited by The Wiz

Has Peter King stopped his weekly "Chip Kelly Innovation of the Week" now that Kelly's been fired? He literally had a set weekly feature on Kelly and how he was going to revolutionize the game. That may tell you all you need to know about King and his recognition of great coaching. I actually like his column (minus his Cheats* knob gobbling), but I would not hold him out as someone to trust on coaching hires.

The Bills always win the off-season, but this dumpster fire of a clown show is upsetting the Pollyanna delusion of Bills grandeur, and they are none too pleased. Don't worry, Russ is on it, pretty soon all will be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows again.

So that is what you see when smoking ...

@SI_PeterKing

Peter King Retweeted The MMQB

My mailbag is up. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy? That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

This is such BS. The Pegula's by all accounts seem like really great people and would appear to be fantastic to work for. Bills fans should be proud to have such owners that attract people to their genuine nature. I will never forget a Billionaire crying that this is our team and they're staying. They desperately want continuity - that's extremely attractive for any hopeful head coach to be. Our facilities are outstanding and I mean outstanding - even with an old stadium. There's approximately 4-6 openings every year to be an NFL head coach and getting snubbed is a ridiculously lazy small minded view. Teams needing coaches are typically in a state of uncertainty. Why the hell else would they be looking for a new coach - except in the irregular cases like Denver this year for example? Every new coach knows he's going into a challenging situation that almost always means the QB situation is unsettled.

Don't pay attention to blowhards like King and fellow posters that just love to mire in this type of crap.

Edited by Triple Threat

Sounds like pretty subjective criteria. On the scoreboard the Bills are a mediocre team, not a terrible team. Who cares what anyone thinks. I care about winning.

We've been a mediocre team for almost 2 decades !!!!!!!

Amazing, pretty soon the new standard will be having the Bills listed as "In the hunt" in week 15

I'm sure you will be posting, things are looking better we were still in the hunt in week 15

Ugh

Please have higher standards !!

This is such BS. The Pegula's by all accounts seem like really great people and would appear to be fantastic to work for. Bills fans should be proud to have such owners that attract people to their genuine nature. I will never forget a Billionaire crying that this is our team and they're staying. They desperately want continuity - that's extremely attractive for any hopeful head coach to be. Our facilities are outstanding and I mean outstanding - even with an old stadium. There's approximately 4-6 openings every year to be an NFL head coach and getting snubbed is a ridiculously lazy small minded view. Teams needing coaches are typically in a state of uncertainty. Why the hell else would they be looking for a new coach - except in the irregular cases like Denver this year for example? Every new coach knows he's going into a challenging situation that almost always means the QB situation is unsettled.

Don't pay attention to blowhards like King and fellow posters that just love to mire in this type of crap.

Marrone didn't think so. Rex probably didn't think so. I doubt Whaley thought so when they forced a bad HC on him to sell tickets and publicity.

Wow. I live in Seattle and talk with an ex Hawk from time to time. I don't get the same feeling you get. The people here view Buffalo as just another NFL club with maybe three main distinguishing characteristics, (1) it's cold and snowy in Buffalo, (2) the new owner is rich, (3) the Bills haven't been to the playoffs in forever - though not a horrible team lately.

The fans here in Seattle, including the ex player, are not trashing the team. In fact, most see it as a positive that we fired Rex. The rest is just soap opera.

By the way, things are far worse in San Francisco. There the media is asking the co-owner and CEO, Jed York, why he stopped at Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke? Why didn't he fire himself too? Hilarious.

If that were to happen here, we would call teh media childish and having their panties in a bunch, because no one talks bad about the Buffalo Bills.

We've been a mediocre team for almost 2 decades !!!!!!!

Amazing, pretty soon the new standard will be having the Bills listed as "In the hunt" in week 15

I'm sure you will be posting, things are looking better we were still in the hunt in week 15

Ugh

Please have higher standards !!

How does whining about press coverage improve our win total? It doesn't. Suit yourself and believe everything that fits your narrative.

I will judge people by what they have done. Not my personal burden as a fan. You have no idea what my standards are as you are just emoting.