MMQB: Peter King on the Bills' HC Search

When did anyone ever stop making fun of Buffalo? Until we make the playoffs and field a good team this will continue. We could have the best GM and best new QB next year on the team and people will laugh at us until we win.

Doesn't prove or disprove anything about the reality of the situation.

There is a big difference between running a professional organization and failing on the field vs. running a shitshow and being the laughing stock of the NFL

The rest of the country is LAUGHING at Buffalo, even worse, pitying Buffalo

Stop defending the incompetence

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Oakland under Al Davis and Cleveland kept/keep getting coaches, I think we'll be alright.

:lol:

And who exactly would that be? There's not a single hire out there that won't be complained about by at least 1/3 of the group here, and 2/3 (or more) of the media.

Why are you trying to destroy my dreams of this board getting together and singing Kumbaya? :D

In the end, you are correct.

There is a big difference between running a professional organization and failing on the field vs. running a shitshow and being the laughing stock of the NFL

The rest of the country is LAUGHING at Buffalo, even worse, pitying Buffalo

Stop defending the incompetence

and who was front and center of all that bull **** the last two years? Wrecks ryan, what part of that do u not understand?

and who was front and center of all that bull **** the last two years? Wrecks ryan, what part of that do u not understand?

I will just incorporate all of my earlier posts on the subject as if fully set forth herein.

And what about the 15 years before Rex ?

I am not defending Rex, I didn't like the hire from day one and I don't think he's a good head coach, I'm not even sure he's a good DC. But, as incompetent as Rex is, Whaley, Pegula and Brandon are coming across as much worse. Rex is becoming a sympathetic figure once you watch Whaley fumble around like a 12 year old. He (Whaley) embarassed himself with his absurd answers.

Imagine saying "I don't want other teams to know Buffalo's blueprint for hiring a coach", I practically spit up my food laughing, Buffalo's blueprint ???, seriously ??

The only reason teams would want our blueprint is to make sure they DON'T follow it.

so listen...much like free agents, Pegs has one huge advantage....he ain't scared of spending money. All things equal, i agree prolly not the most attractive job.

But one job pays $4M, and one pays $6.5M...guess where the guy goes?

that will certainly be a problem for Spanos in SD/LA

Imagine saying "I don't want other teams to know Buffalo's blueprint for hiring a coach", I practically spit up my food laughing, Buffalo's blueprint ???, seriously ??

The only reason teams would want our blueprint is to make sure they DON'T follow it.

That blueprint line was fantastic :lol::lol:

And what about the 15 years before Rex ?

I am not defending Rex, I didn't like the hire from day one and I don't think he's a good head coach, I'm not even sure he's a good DC. But, as incompetent as Rex is, Whaley, Pegula and Brandon are coming across as much worse. Rex is becoming a sympathetic figure once you watch Whaley fumble around like a 12 year old. He (Whaley) embarassed himself with his absurd answers.

so now they have been a laughingstock franchise for 17 years? They have been close to making the playoffs many times over the last 17 but have not for whatever many reasons. You were talking about now, and the only reason they are in the spotlight is because of the big mouth Wrecks, before him they carried on under the radar while Ralph waited to expire. The new owners have only been in charge for a couple years and are not attention seeking, in your face owners so anyone forming solid opinion of them had better worked closely with them over that time, if not its speculation.

so now they have been a laughingstock franchise for 17 years? They have been close to making the playoffs many times over the last 17 but have not for whatever many reasons. You were talking about now, and the only reason they are in the spotlight is because of the big mouth Wrecks, before him they carried on under the radar while Ralph waited to expire. The new owners have only been in charge for a couple years and are not attention seeking, in your face owners so anyone forming solid opinion of them had better worked closely with them over that time, if not its speculation.

People aren't laughing at the Bills because of Rex, they are laughing because of Whaley, Brandon and Pegula.

Worse than laughing is the pity and how irrelevant this franchise has become

You are deflecting for what purpose, to defend Whaley, Brandon or Pegula or all three ???

I agree that Rex should have been fired, hell, he should have never been hired in the first place.

But the issues with this franchise are so much deeper than the head coach.

I think King is spot on. Whaley has had so few public appearances and probably not that much exposure to potential coaching candidates and he looked bad in that presser. Nervous, aggravated and not confidence inspiring at all.

Coaches do not care about press conferences. Most of them are not comfortable in front of a microphone either. It is not a natural thing to do. What they will care about is organizational structure, roster, et al., which will be discussed face to face in the interviews w/ the principals involved.

The Bills aren't begging for someone to take the job. There are a lot of positives there in spite of the current narrative. They will get a coach they like.

Is it a coach the fans will like or the media will accept without trying to spin it negatively because it isn't McDaniels or Patricia? That's a separate issue.

Edited by purple haze

The reality is that the Bills have a dysfunctional organization, prone to infighting made very public through leaks, and top coaches don't want to stake their careers to this mess.

Look at a guy like Josh McDaniels. This is likely his last chance at a HC spot. There is no way he wastes it here.

People aren't laughing at the Bills because of Rex, they are laughing because of Whaley, Brandon and Pegula.

You are deflecting for what purpose, to defend Whaley, Brandon or Pegula or all three ???

I agree that Rex should have been fired, hell, he should have never been hired in the first place.

In the grand scheme of things, who really cares if people are laughing at the Bills or the owner or GM? They'll still hire a coach, likely the first one they want. People will still buy tickets to the games and merchandise in droves. The TV money will continue to roll in like it grows on trees. Outside perception changes basically nothing.

you and I have completely different views of this franchise, I don't see nearly as much dysfunction as you and a few others claim. What I see is a local media witch hunt spreading to a few national outlets who have started chiming in now. None of that crap has exposed anything but the buffalo media as idiots.

In the grand scheme of things, who really cares if people are laughing at the Bills or the owner or GM? They'll still hire a coach, likely the first one they want. People will still buy tickets to the games and merchandise in droves. The TV money will continue to roll in like it grows on trees. Outside perception changes basically nothing.

and this

you and I have completely different views of this franchise, I don't see nearly as much dysfunction as you and a few others claim. What I see is a local media witch hunt spreading to a few national outlets who have started chiming in now. None of that crap has exposed anything but the buffalo media as idiots.

and this

I think you are both missing the bigger point, --- the issue isn't that they are laughing the issue is WHY they are laughing --- this team and this franchise IS dysfunctional, IS inept and IS amateurish -- in other words, they are right to laugh

Don't conflate this laughter with ill-informed laughter as it relates to "Buffalo weather jokes" and such, this is not the same

You are seeing and reading well-informed opinions that are not taking cheap shots or parroting back lines from local media, these are respected journalists

Or throw all the other opinions out the window and ask yourself from as objective a point of view as you can muster whether you believe this franchise is well run. Whether the Bills have the very best personnel across key positions from president to the front office that will lead this team to success long term over an extended period of time. An organization that can compete with the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, Broncos, Giants etc.

I don't think we have the right people, in fact, I know we don't, the last 17 years has proven without a doubt that we don't.

My son showed me a graphic of the division winners by division over the past 20 years --- there were only 3 teams not pictured --- Browns, Bills and Jags --- not great company to keep

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

The apologists will be there no matter what.

We saw it last year when Rex !@#$ing blew and the excuses and scape goats ran rampant.

You can't talk sense into them so I don't see the point in even trying anymore.

. . . and yet you have many, many posts trashing Rex.

Curiously, the guy who I considered as leading the charge with you to the Bastille was jmc12290.

Interestingly, jmc12290's last post was December 27 -- the day Rex was fired -- after posting incessantly on the subject and appearing out of the woodwork to challenge anyone who might dare defend Rex.

Interesting . . . .

Edited by Peter

Wow. Reading some of the posts on this thread I feel like the collective board is clueless about the reality of how the rest of the country feels about this franchise.

I thought it impossible, but Whaley's presser created a new low for this team, he came across as incompetent, the Pegulas as a couple of amateurs and Brandon as someone doing his best to insulate himself for any and all blame so he isn't fired.

Meanwhile, on this board we get the same old ass kissing lackeys defending all of the above and blaming the media

It seems like a lot of Bills fans are as dysfunctional as this team

I live in Dallas and I can tell you definitively not only is national media trashing this team, but every NFL fan (I've spoken to many) is doing the same.

WAKE UP BUFFALO !!

The Bills always win the off-season, but this dumpster fire of a clown show is upsetting the Pollyanna delusion of Bills grandeur, and they are none too pleased. Don't worry, Russ is on it, pretty soon all will be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows again.

We saw it last year when Rex !@#$ing blew and the excuses and scape goats ran rampant.

Agree

How can they continue to defend the indefensible ?

I just don't get some Bills fans that continue to make excuses for ineptness and dysfunction

I'm all for being optimistic, but, come on, enough is enough

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Then leave , you add nothing, and your sense is not my sense or a lot of other peoples. You are not right just because you think you are. Many on here tried to keep and open mind with respect to Rex and Tyrod. Some, like you, wouldn't know an open mind if it hit you between the eyes.