Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

That was LaCanfora. Vic said there was "every indication from within One Bills Drive that they're settled on sticking with Anthony Lynn beyond the interim head coach status he has for Sunday's season-finale against the New York Jets ... General Manager Doug Whaley is leading the 'search' process. Presuming, as that implies and as sources within the organization maintain, he's going to remain in his job, the list of those willing to accept the conditions that go with working with him will be limited."

That looks to me like he's reading the tea leaves about sticking with Lynn, that what his sources were telling him is that Whaley is leading the search process, which is apparently correct.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/28/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-dont-expect-thorough-search/

Yeah, it's only the "negative types". If you heard something you didn't like and then conflicting info that you liked better, you'd probably stick with the first thing because you heard it first, right?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin yadda yadda. When sources say something different, it could easily be that the situation is, you know, changing.

Or the media is pulling **** out of thier ass' s

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incorrect, it would add more fuel to the press reporting on dysfunction of One Bills Drive.

Look, Lynn may be all that and a Bag of Chips, or he may not. He's been in the league coaching since 2000, and has never been anything other than an RB coach since 2003, 13 years. He's been with Rex for the last 4 years.

IMHO, to anoint Lynn as the "leading candidate for HC of the Bills" with that resume and the assertion that the HC search will be a smokescreen, Lynn is the shoo-in, would be FAR more dysfunctional than Lynn bowing out of a coaching search he may or may not be part of.

This. Everything else is purely BS, IMO.

As for the potential of the Bills legendary backup quarterback, Frank Reich, coaching the Bills, Polian gave a big thumbs-up.

Hes a great guy, great quarterback. Hed be a great choice for the Bills, he said.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2017/01/03/polian-coaching-candidates-have-reason-wary-bills/96127666/

Reich was on the coaching staff in Indy when Polian was there. Then he was a QB coach and OC in SD for Polian protege Tom Telesco. He's still part of the Polian tree. I'm not at all surprised he would pump him up.

This is my worry about Reich. Being a great guy and great QB isn't the criteria I'm looking for in a HC of the Bills. He was just fired one year ago because he wasn't even a good enough OC . He's not calling the plays in Philly and I think he's a glorified QB coach. I'm not sure what makes him HC material but would like to hear if anyone has heard?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Reich was on the coaching staff in Indy when Polian was there. Then he was a QB coach and OC in SD for Polian protege Tom Telesco. He's still part of the Polian tree. I'm not at all surprised he would pump him up.

This is my worry about Reich. Being a great guy and great QB isn't the criteria I'm looking for in a HC of the Bills. He was just fired one year ago because he wasn't even a good enough OC . He's not calling the plays in Philly and I think he's a glorified QB coach. I'm not sure what makes him HC material but would like to hear if anyone has heard? We've

Exactly what I thought.

If all Polian can say is "He's a good guy. He's a good QB." why the hell does that qualify him for a QB? Sometimes I can't stand the gentleman's club the NFL is. They all have an agenda and want their friends and former work colleagues to get jobs, whether they are good or not.

Rex got fired.

I think Whaley did his part to steer blame away from himself but I'm hardly convinced that Whaley has a fresh start.

This is often what happens when ultimatums are issued.........I start getting extra office visits and literal or figurative finger pointing in an attempt to deflect blame.

I know you don't believe a word K-9 says but he claims Whaley and Terry were both beside themselves with Rex decision to punt in OT two weeks ago. Can you believe that Rex? :lol:

Again......do you think Whaley has TWO more losing seasons in him?

If you won't answer I will do it for you.........you DON'T because you aren't that naive. :thumbsup:

I must be the only person in the universe who thought that punting there was an acceptable strategy...

All is well!!

Link?

Sure. It's the media that is the problem.

Yet they are interviewing a better candidate today... but hey, it's all dysfunction at one bills drive. No one wants the job! What a bunch of horse **** the media spews.

Edited by Deceptikhans

I must be the only person in the universe who thought that punting there was an acceptable strategy...

No, Rex agrees with you.

But, it was the wrong call. And inexcusable with your playoff chances depending on it. Highest odds of winning that game were going for it there. And it was a "must win" situation. Tie unacceptable. Rex chose his own image over the best interests of the team. And by admitting that was his mindset by making that call, he deserved to be fired.

This is my worry about Reich. Being a great guy and great QB isn't the criteria I'm looking for in a HC of the Bills. He was just fired one year ago because he wasn't even a good enough OC . He's not calling the plays in Philly and I think he's a glorified QB coach. I'm not sure what makes him HC material but would like to hear if anyone has heard?

Because he was on the Super Bowl Bills teams! Isn't that reason enough to be head coach?

No, Rex agrees with you.

But, it was the wrong call. And inexcusable with your playoff chances depending on it. Highest odds of winning that game were going for it there. And it was a "must win" situation. Tie unacceptable. Rex chose his own image over the best interests of the team. And by admitting that was his mindset by making that call, he deserved to be fired.

So did the winning coach in that game on the previous drive.

Totally agree! I would also add, is a great guy a good hire for this team, or do we need a sonofabitch to hold people accountable. Including the coordinators.

That coach is in the playoffs, which cancels out his poor game decision.

The coach who punted from OUR end of the field and also needed to win that game as well to control his own destiny - unless he got help the next day. The fact that they got beat against the Pats emphasizes why the Dolphins would not have wanted to take their chances trying to beat the Pats or hoping to get all of the help that needed from other teams.

Yes, that coach.

Edited by Peter

So did the winning coach in that game on the previous drive.

This was discussed at length elsewhere, but i agree that it was not the wrong call. You are incorrect, however, to compare miami and buffalo's decisions. The criticism of rex's decision was clock based, and when miami punted time wasn't an issue. There really is no comparison.

The coach who punted from OUR end of the field and also needed to win that game as well to control his own destiny - unless he got help the next day. The fact that they got beat against the Pats emphasizes why the Dolphins would not have wanted to take their chances trying to beat the Pats or hoping to get all of the help that needed from other teams.

Yes, that coach.

Should they have fired Gase this week or should they wait until after the Steelers game?

So are you saying you are certain Whaley gets 2 more years or just laughing at the coach that will have to take the fall with him if they don't win this year? :thumbsup:

You weren't talking about Whaley. You were talking about Lynn getting just 1 year if he stayed in Buffalo.

As for Whaley, how long he stays depends on the quality of the players. While I don't think there was an ultimatum issued prior to the season, I wouldn't be surprised if Pegs intimated to Whaley that he'd need to show resutls, and that the Bills having 9 Pro Bowlers saved his bacon.

Nothing you just said makes Lynn a top candidate. Plus, there are factors working against him...

1. He is the least experienced of any candidate in terms of positions higher than a positional coach.

2. In multiple big moments at the end of games this year, including the Miami game with our season and playoffs on the line, he made very bad play call choices.

3. His 1 week as interim HC did nothing to help his stock to say the least.

4. Whaley's future is tied to this pick as HC. If anyone thinks he is going to just hand it to Lynn without interviewing other top candidates is being foolish.

5. Our offense was geared around a run attack with a mobile QB...how many other teams are built that way? Not many, and with him not having any other experience on his resume other than being a running back coach, he has nothing to show in terms of the passing game.

6. Taylor didn't progress much, if at all, as a passer under him. Most teams are not trying to build a run first team anymore, he has nothing on his resume suggesting he can build a passing offense and develop a young QB.

The only people who are super hyped on Lynn are Bills fans and I think the external interest is more about them being compliant with the Rooney rule than him being a serious contender to get the HC job. I actually would not be surprised if Lynn does not get a HC job offer this year. Could easily be in his future, but I don't think this is the year it happens personally unless its in Buffalo. And with Whaley's future being tied to this HC pick, I actually think he will go in a different direction.

I wasn't so thrilled with Lynn becoming HC until I heard that Bradley would be his DC. Now that's not even close to being a given. So Lynn drops way down on the list.

It is amazing how the negative types are so adaptable... 2 days ago it was "This is a fix Whaley wants Lynn this is so over" to "Whaley and Lynn don't get on so Whaley is gonna hire someone else this is so over."

Whaley must have been given an ultimatum to hire Lynn. And then it changed.

I think Reich would be fine after learning from Marv how to handle a team.

He would need a good OC to call plays. Reich could help develop a QB JMO

Learning from Marv how to handle a team? He wasn't the assistant head coach of those teams. He was backup quarterback. His job was to be a quarterback, not to learn how to be a head coach.

Learning from Marv how to handle a team? He wasn't the assistant head coach of those teams. He was backup quarterback. His job was to be a quarterback, not to learn how to be a head coach.

As a QB he had to know every play and where every player was supposed to be going on every play. So likely that makes Frank a good candidate for an OC at least. With that part down and a good ST and D Coordinator, he likely could grow into a decent HC. That doesn't mean he will, but he's got 1/3 of the team down.