Carucci: Lynn is having 2nd Thoughts about Bills' HC Job

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everything sounds fishy...for example, if it was "our decision" how could he not know why they decision was made? That makes no sense. It was "our decision" but he wasn't in the room when the decision was made? That was Lynn trying to be a team player. Then Whaley contradicted his version by saying he was consulted. Doesn't make Lynn look good.

Avoiding the question is not the same as contradicting someone else. Yes, whatever it is we are much worse at it and perhaps it doesn't matter if you make the playoffs every year!

again, the question he said he wasn't in the room for was about the contract implications. He said he didn't know if that was the reason.

Clearly that was why the decision was made. But he wasn't there when it was made so he can say he didn't know and skate a contract-related question that an interim coach isn't typically going to speak on. They made the decision and then talked to him about it. See, he was consulted and involved about TT not playing in the game. Therefore Lynn said it was "our decision" and Whaley said he was consulted.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This kind of conversation kills me. Of course the answer is because of the injury clause of the contract. That's really the only major reason. And there is also no chance any owner or GM or President or coach is going to say it's because of the injury clause of the contract. That is blatantly clear.

The guy is having a hernia operation...they could have just said they didn't want to make the injury worse or they wanted to evaluate EJ since they were freaking eliminated from the playoffs! The point is they could have predicted some basic questions and answered them intelligently.

The guy is having a hernia operation...they could have just said they didn't want to make the injury worse or they wanted to evaluate EJ since they were freaking eliminated from the playoffs! The point is they could have predicted some basic questions and answered them intelligently.

Whaley actually did say they wanted to evaluate EJ since they were eliminated. In fact, so did Lynn.

Good! Screw Anthony Lynn. If he is second guessing it, he's not meant to be a part of the Bills organization. Get a HC who actually likes the Bills and wants to win. More than that, get someone who KNOWS how to win.

Ah, I think the Bills have had coaches who wanted to be here. Rex couldn't have wanted it more. The ones who know how to win are the ones second guessing if they can win here.

i have no idea about his state of happiness. I was just providing to you what was actually said.

This whole thread was in response to reports that Lynn was not happy with Whaley and having second thoughts about working for him. If it is a complete fabrication by the media it doesn't matter. What Whaley said about the decision didn't fit Lynn's version and I could see how that could potentially bother him.

The decision to sit TT was made the day after the Miami game, when RR was still HC. Lynn was absolutely NOT involved in that decision. Nor should he have been at that point.

When RR was fired and Lynn named IHC the day after that, he was informed of the decision, asked for his input and gave his "next man up" answer to his bosses.

So Lynn not being part of the initial decision to sit TT is absolutely true and Lynn spoke the truth.

Lynn being informed of and asked for input on the decision afterward is also absolutely true and Whaley also spoke the truth.

Timelines are important sometimes, folks.

This whole thread was in response to reports that Lynn was not happy with Whaley and having second thoughts about working for him. If it is a complete fabrication by the media it doesn't matter. What Whaley said about the decision didn't fit Lynn's version and I could see how that could potentially bother him.

the report was from carucci who was at both press conferences. Whether he's just sloppy with the details or intentionally trying to reach for a juicy story, I couldn't tell you.

You have to think Whaley is a total moron if you think he doesnt see Lynn as a viable, legitimate, obvious and good choice as next head coach of the Bills. For all of the reasons you have stated here and before, which I agree with most of your stances. Both the good and the bad. It's very possible he has other people he also thinks may be good choices. He also knows this isn't a great year for hires. He also knows any coordinator is a hit or miss chance. He also knows he has very little time to produce. All of that is obvious. Lynn is a top candidate.

Nothing you just said makes Lynn a top candidate. Plus, there are factors working against him...

1. He is the least experienced of any candidate in terms of positions higher than a positional coach.

2. In multiple big moments at the end of games this year, including the Miami game with our season and playoffs on the line, he made very bad play call choices.

3. His 1 week as interim HC did nothing to help his stock to say the least.

4. Whaley's future is tied to this pick as HC. If anyone thinks he is going to just hand it to Lynn without interviewing other top candidates is being foolish.

5. Our offense was geared around a run attack with a mobile QB...how many other teams are built that way? Not many, and with him not having any other experience on his resume other than being a running back coach, he has nothing to show in terms of the passing game.

6. Taylor didn't progress much, if at all, as a passer under him. Most teams are not trying to build a run first team anymore, he has nothing on his resume suggesting he can build a passing offense and develop a young QB.

The only people who are super hyped on Lynn are Bills fans and I think the external interest is more about them being compliant with the Rooney rule than him being a serious contender to get the HC job. I actually would not be surprised if Lynn does not get a HC job offer this year. Could easily be in his future, but I don't think this is the year it happens personally unless its in Buffalo. And with Whaley's future being tied to this HC pick, I actually think he will go in a different direction.

Nothing you just said makes Lynn a top candidate. Plus, there are factors working against him...

1. He is the least experienced of any candidate in terms of positions higher than a positional coach.

2. In multiple big moments at the end of games this year, including the Miami game with our season and playoffs on the line, he made very bad play call choices.

3. His 1 week as interim HC did nothing to help his stock to say the least.

4. Whaley's future is tied to this pick as HC. If anyone thinks he is going to just hand it to Lynn without interviewing other top candidates is being foolish.

5. Our offense was geared around a run attack with a mobile QB...how many other teams are built that way? Not many, and with him not having any other experience on his resume other than being a running back coach, he has nothing to show in terms of the passing game.

6. Taylor didn't progress much, if at all, as a passer under him. Most teams are not trying to build a run first team anymore, he has nothing on his resume suggesting he can build a passing offense and develop a young QB.

The only people who are super hyped on Lynn are Bills fans and I think the external interest is more about them being compliant with the Rooney rule than him being a serious contender to get the HC job. I actually would not be surprised if Lynn does not get a HC job offer this year. Could easily be in his future, but I don't think this is the year it happens personally unless its in Buffalo. And with Whaley's future being tied to this HC pick, I actually think he will go in a different direction.

My feeling about all of that, a lot of which I may agree with, is summed up by looking at it a different way. This is not a great year to hire a coach. There are not a bunch of ex-HC guys looking for another gig. There are no big names, except long time guys like Cowher and Gruden who aren't likely to bite for anyone. So the choices are almost all coordinators. Everyone, especially guys like Whaley who have been in the league a long time know DCs and OCs are crap shoots. There isn't one person in the world who can pick them out as good HC before they do it, including the best mind in football Bill Bellichick. I would bet anything Bellichick would admit he couldn't tell for sure, other than to say his own guys would be great. He's said that before and all failed for the most part.

The point is also that Whaley knows his job is on the line. He has to produce immediately. He doesn't have the three year window a new guy may have. And in those circumstances, most guys (not all), will pick the devil they are familiar with. And that is Lynn. Unless there is something we don't know and Whaley really dislikes Lynn or thinks he will fail because of a fatal flaw. There is no reason to believe that exists. I'm not saying Lynn will be good. But since there is no good choice it's likely Whaley will go with a guy he knows.

Maybe Whaley wasn't "privy" to said ultimatum! If he wasn't "in the room" when it was delivered, did it really happen?

This is an investigation only Joe B can handle, like examining how much bark fell off the tree in front of the Mongolian BBQ after the drag race.

LOL. Excellent

Riddle me this:

What is greater?

The level of dysfunction at One Bills Drive, or the level of denial at Two Bills Drive?

I understand that many here have a belief system built around the Bills and need to believe they are competent in order to maintain cosmic equilibrium in their lives....but many of the comments are still shocking.

These people are zealots. You cannot reason with them and they are not changing their minds about anything.

Ooh virtue signaling.......nice

This is probably his way of covering his ass if the Bills hire someone else because he initially reported it was a "lock" Lynn would be hired instantly.

That was LaCanfora. Vic said there was "every indication from within One Bills Drive that they're settled on sticking with Anthony Lynn beyond the interim head coach status he has for Sunday's season-finale against the New York Jets ... General Manager Doug Whaley is leading the 'search' process. Presuming, as that implies and as sources within the organization maintain, he's going to remain in his job, the list of those willing to accept the conditions that go with working with him will be limited."

That looks to me like he's reading the tea leaves about sticking with Lynn, that what his sources were telling him is that Whaley is leading the search process, which is apparently correct.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/28/vic-caruccis-bills-wake-call-dont-expect-thorough-search/

It is amazing how the negative types are so adaptable... 2 days ago it was "This is a fix Whaley wants Lynn this is so over" to "Whaley and Lynn don't get on so Whaley is gonna hire someone else this is so over."

Yeah, it's only the "negative types". If you heard something you didn't like and then conflicting info that you liked better, you'd probably stick with the first thing because you heard it first, right?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin yadda yadda. When sources say something different, it could easily be that the situation is, you know, changing.