Tank for Sam Darnold SC QB , 2nd coming of Brady

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one special Dude. Oh god he is good

Great game for sure...kid looked good, but calm down already. There have been LOTS of College QB's who have looked "special" in college that were not that special in the NFL.

Yes, he has a promising future ahead of him right now, but lets see what he does next year. Remember when everyone was drooling over Cardale Jones, even talking about him going into the NFL after winning the National Championship? What happened the next season? He didn't even keep the job.

People were drooling over Brian Brohm and he would have went top 5 had he come out, but went back for another year and lost his luster. Same with Matt Leinart and countless other QB's. Vince Young had an insane Rose Bowl and he didn't exactly pan out in the NFL either despite all the drool over him after his Rose Bowl performance.

Yes he threw 5 TD's in the Rose Bowl for a record, but big deal...5 TD's in College isn't some unattainable challenge, so lets not over exaggerate it to be some marvel of achievement. Not knocking the kid, I do very much think he looks like a strong NFL prospect already, but just tempering the over zealousness built off one game. Most people didn't even watch him play a game before tonight and now all of a sudden he is being compared to Brady? LOL.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Great game for sure...kid looked good, but calm down already. There have been LOTS of College QB's who have looked "special" in college that were not that special in the NFL.

Yes, he has a promising future ahead of him right now, but lets see what he does next year. Remember when everyone was drooling over Cardale Jones, even talking about him going into the NFL after winning the National Championship? What happened the next season? He didn't even keep the job.

People were drooling over Brian Brohm and he would have went top 5 had he come out, but went back for another year and lost his luster. Same with Matt Leinart and countless other QB's. Vince Young had an insane Rose Bowl and he didn't exactly pan out in the NFL either despite all the drool over him after his Rose Bowl performance.

Yes he threw 5 TD's in the Rose Bowl for a record, but big deal...5 TD's in College isn't some unattainable challenge, so lets not over exaggerate it to be some marvel of achievement. Not knocking the kid, I do very much think he looks like a strong NFL prospect already, but just tempering the over zealousness built off one game. Most people didn't even watch him play a game before tonight and now all of a sudden he is being compared to Brady? LOL.

The season turned around for USC once he became the starter. So it can't be denied that he is the major reason for the dramatic change of fortunes for the team since he has taken the snaps.

There isn't an attribute from a physical standpoint and an intangible standpoint such as feel for the game that this kid doesn't have.

The kid's a freshman and he will undoubtedly get better.

If you want to hold your horses that's fine. I'm not. This kid is a stallion.

Some people may have been drooling but not as many as you think. He was an intriguing prospect not because of his limited play in college but because of his physical size and attributes such as strength of arm. The USC qb has a much more refined and poised game as a freshman than most highly touted upperclassmen.

On a side note this is one of the best and most entertaining games I have seen in years. Maybe even better than the Young vs Leinart game.

The season turned around for USC once he became the starter. So it can't be denied that he is the major reason for the dramatic change of fortunes for the team since he has taken the snaps.

There isn't an attribute from a physical standpoint and an intangible standpoint such as feel for the game that this kid doesn't have.

The kid's a freshman and he will undoubtedly get better.

If you want to hold your horses that's fine. I'm not. This kid is a stallion.

Some people may have been drooling but not as many as you think. He was an intriguing prospect not because of his limited play in college but because of his physical size and attributes such as strength of arm. The USC qb has a much more refined and poised game as a freshman than most highly touted upperclassmen.

On a side note this is one of the best and most entertaining games I have seen in years. Maybe even better than the Young vs Leinart game.

Agreed on the game, it was pretty epic for sure and definitely was up there with the 2006 Rose Bowl featuring Leinart and Young...however, it was not better than that for a few reasons I think people may forget about that 2006 bowl game:

1. It was for the National Championship

2. It was between two undefeated teams.

3. It featured several players projected for the top 5 of the draft and number 1 overall pick.

4. The game came down to a 4th and 5 play by the underdog for the win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zZRBTOcnY

5. It has been often considered the greatest college bowl game ever.

And like I said, I do like the kid a lot, but people said the same thing about Cardale Jones the year he came in late and won the National Championship. Lets see how he responds next year with a massive amount of pressure on the kid as USC will be a highly ranked team going into the season. There is a lot to like about the kid, just think its premature to crown him the way a lot of people are after the game last night. Im always skeptical of College prospects until I see them do it more than 1 season, been too many wash outs at all positions over the years.

That being said, his arrow is certainly pointing straight up and he comes across as very poised and I do expect a big season from him next year. Unfortunately, the only way Buffalo would ever have a shot at him is if he does face some struggles, because the Bills are not bad enough to end up with the #1 overall pick which is where he would go if he keeps ascending the way many (including myself) believe he will. Well I guess we could trade the farm for him when he comes out, but whoever is picking number 1 that year is likely picking #1 because they don't have a QB either and would likely stay pat and take him in that scenario.

Agreed on the game, it was pretty epic for sure and definitely was up there with the 2006 Rose Bowl featuring Leinart and Young...however, it was not better than that for a few reasons I think people may forget about that 2006 bowl game:

1. It was for the National Championship

2. It was between two undefeated teams.

3. It featured several players projected for the top 5 of the draft and number 1 overall pick.

4. The game came down to a 4th and 5 play by the underdog for the win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zZRBTOcnY

5. It has been often considered the greatest college bowl game ever.

And like I said, I do like the kid a lot, but people said the same thing about Cardale Jones the year he came in late and won the National Championship. Lets see how he responds next year with a massive amount of pressure on the kid as USC will be a highly ranked team going into the season. There is a lot to like about the kid, just think its premature to crown him the way a lot of people are after the game last night. Im always skeptical of College prospects until I see them do it more than 1 season, been too many wash outs at all positions over the years.

That being said, his arrow is certainly pointing straight up and he comes across as very poised and I do expect a big season from him next year. Unfortunately, the only way Buffalo would ever have a shot at him is if he does face some struggles, because the Bills are not bad enough to end up with the #1 overall pick which is where he would go if he keeps ascending the way many (including myself) believe he will. Well I guess we could trade the farm for him when he comes out, but whoever is picking number 1 that year is likely picking #1 because they don't have a QB either and would likely stay pat and take him in that scenario.

The West Coast and LA area have two top tier qb prospects in Darnold and Josh Rosen at UCLA. It is going to be interesting following each's development. Both are young and inexperienced but both possess enticing talents that pro teams will be salivating over. Each of these two young stud qbs seem to have the "it" factor along with their physical talents.

The West Coast and LA area have two top tier qb prospects in Darnold and Josh Rosen at UCLA. It is going to be interesting following each's development. Both are young and inexperienced but both possess enticing talents that pro teams will be salivating over. Each of these two young stud qbs seem to have the "it" factor along with their physical talents.

Yeah I agree with that, they have both been fun to watch so far...be interesting to see how they both respond with significantly higher expectations and pressure on them next year. But right now, they both look like stars in the making.

Like I said earlier, I am not down on the kid, but this thread was started and titled for us to intentionally start to suck now for whenever this kid potentially comes out and was labeled the next Brady (which is the greatest QB of all time, or top 3 by any measure). And most of that proclamation came off of one game yesterday, there were no threads about him until someone watched him play an exciting Rose Bowl game. I wouldn't be surprised if yesterday was really the first time the OP even saw him play based on some of his posts in this thread. One game doesn't make for NFL stardom, so I want to see what he and Rosen do next year before anointing him the next great thing coming out of the draft.