What if Lynn does not want the job here?

In light of everyone assuming because he is already here "it is his job to lose".

What if he decides to interview and take another head coach offer? This franchise is such a dumpster fire it might happen.

He said unequivocally that he wants the job.

In light of everyone assuming because he is already here "it is his job to lose".

What if he decides to interview and take another head coach offer? This franchise is such a dumpster fire it might happen.

1. No it is not a dumpster fire

2. Fine if he decides to go elswhere

3. if offered here, he is not going anywhere this where he wants to be a HC (own words)

Edited by MAJBobby

I mentioned this in a few other threads. It is reasonable to assume that someone who has Lynn's resume will get more than one offer. Why would he choose the Bills? They are organizationally incompetent.

I want to see if he is true to his word that he wont interview elswhere until that team HAS already satisfied the Rooney Rule

I mentioned this in a few other threads. It is reasonable to assume that someone who has Lynn's resume will get more than one offer. Why would he choose the Bills? They are organizationally incompetent.

What resume is that 15 years as a RB coach?

Look I know it's a very popular trend right now to bash the organization but IMHO this team already has the talent to be a playoff calibre team. The coaching of Rex Ryan was woefully inept and that has held us back the past couple of years. I have every confidence that the next HC and DC will get us there. Looks like it will be Lynn and Gus Bradley so might as welll jump onboard and enjoy the ride.

If he wants to go somewhere else, let him go and wave good-bye. If he even generates a feeling of rush to sign him, let him go

We have hired the last 2 head coaches in the face of "hurry up before someone else" but in retrospect, I do not think the competition for those hirings really existed. I say this time, take your time and if there really is competition, then compete if there's someone you want.

Talk and posturing are pretty common. At this point it is all that is there. In business, sports, whatever. On both sides.

It would be insane to not interview other candidates. Based on Lynn's 14 games as a new OC. Today's nightmare is a flier.

It was meaningless. LIke Lynn corrected himself early in the week. " I was not in the room when the decision was made" He was forced to start a scrub backup.

Lynn is the owner of a good scoring team despite the lack of a complete passing game. He also,called some head scratchers. Those will all magically be blamed on Rex now (see Buddy Nix for proof.) the good things are always the new guy.The bad things are always the fault of his predecessor. It's the Bills way. They suck they ended the season a very Jauron like 7-9. With all the free agents and a couple aging stars. Regression seems reasonable no matter who is coaching next year.

I hope Lynn is not this off seasons Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone. The hype seems a tad over the top.

If he wants to go somewhere else, let him go and wave good-bye. If he even generates a feeling of rush to sign him, let him go

We have hired the last 2 head coaches in the face of "hurry up before someone else" but in retrospect, I do not think the competition for those hirings really existed. I say this time, take your time and if there really is competition, then compete if there's someone you want.

Marrone I agree with.

I really do think Rex though there was legit competition

I know this may trigger some, but could someone please explain why a Week 1 RB coach is now a top HC candidate. I swear I am missing something here as many threads are discussing this as if it's a done deal.

Because he's been in the league for 15 plus years and he impressed in previous interviews for OC and HC jobs.

What is there in Lynn's resume that leads you to believe he will get more than one offer and be a hot commodity?

He has been an RB coach for what, 14 years, including with Rex Ryan for 4 years and the Browns before that.

He was a ST assistant with Denver for 3 years before that. He has never coached a different unit on the offense, and he has never coached a defensive unit.

Compare and contrast with someone like Matt Patricia, who was an OLman, coached as an offensive assistant and offensive line coach, then switched to LB coach, then safeties coach, then DC, and has been DC for 4 years on a winning team. He's coached on both sides of the ball, coached in 4 different assistant roles, then been successful as a DC. He should rightly be viewed as a top HC prospect.

I was kinda accused of suspecting any black guy interviewed as being a nod to the Rooney Rule, but that's no way it. I'm sure Lynn is an excellent RB coach, meticulous and detail oriented, and respected in the league, and I'm sure OC experience is hard to come by, but his experience just seems so limited and compartmentalized for him to really be a hot HC prospect. I would hope he could land an OC gig as a result of this year, and then move up from there. But on any team, taking 2 steps at once just seems like a recipe for failure.

I'd like to believe all the problems on defense were strictly coaching related and that a new staff on that side of the ball will make all the difference.

I'm not convinced. We are lacking in talent as well. On all three levels to some degree or another. When you miss 15 tackles like we did last week, it tells me guys were in a position to make some plays and whiffed.

Yes, devising the scheme around your talent is better than shoehorning players into roles they aren't suited for, but if you can't make a play when you are in position to, it doesn't matter. Whoever the new DC is, he's gonna need an infusion of better talent.

So he's been an NCO for too long?

Yeah that happens alot actually. Nothing wrong with it either

Point is it took someone getting fired for him to move up after all these impressive interviews people talk about.

I'd like to believe all the problems on defense were strictly coaching related and that a new staff on that side of the ball will make all the difference.

I'm not convinced. We are lacking in talent as well. On all three levels to some degree or another. When you miss 15 tackles like we did last week, it tells me guys were in a position to make some plays and whiffed.

Yes, devising the scheme around your talent is better than shoehorning players into roles they aren't suited for, but if you can't make a play when you are in position to, it doesn't matter. Whoever the new DC is, he's gonna need an infusion of better talent.

This same Talent was top 4 not long ago.

When players cant get out of their heads and just play you see the results on the field just like the last two years.

Edited by MAJBobby

You're convinced that the drop off from '14 to '16 is that dramatic?

Today was a glorified preseason game. 20 or so FA ' s to be in self preservation mode. Who's selling out to make a tackle today? The D is poorly coached and a few guys ( I know he didn't play today) such as Gilmore don't sell out in meaningful games. They should be jettisoned . But the D isn't a long way off, just a new scheme and a few pieces here and there

You're convinced that the drop off from '14 to '16 is that dramatic?

Yes. But I think we had some issues in 2014 as well. Our LBs particularly. That front four really made up for a lot of shortcomings, imo.

Today was a glorified preseason game. 20 or so FA ' s to be in self preservation mode. Who's selling out to make a tackle today? The D is poorly coached and a few guys ( I know he didn't play today) such as Gilmore don't sell out in meaningful games. They should be jettisoned . But the D isn't a long way off, just a new scheme and a few pieces here and there

Just to be clear, I'm not pointing to today's game with in my assessment of the talent on our defense. Can't tell much of anything in run for the bus games. Our talent deficiencies have been cropping up pretty much all season and when we were still in the hunt.

What is there in Lynn's resume that leads you to believe he will get more than one offer and be a hot commodity?

He has been an RB coach for what, 14 years, including with Rex Ryan for 4 years and the Browns before that.

He was a ST assistant with Denver for 3 years before that. He has never coached a different unit on the offense, and he has never coached a defensive unit.

Compare and contrast with someone like Matt Patricia, who was an OLman, coached as an offensive assistant and offensive line coach, then switched to LB coach, then safeties coach, then DC, and has been DC for 4 years on a winning team. He's coached on both sides of the ball, coached in 4 different assistant roles, then been successful as a DC. He should rightly be viewed as a top HC prospect.

I was kinda accused of suspecting any black guy interviewed as being a nod to the Rooney Rule, but that's no way it. I'm sure Lynn is an excellent RB coach, meticulous and detail oriented, and respected in the league, and I'm sure OC experience is hard to come by, but his experience just seems so limited and compartmentalized for him to really be a hot HC prospect. I would hope he could land an OC gig as a result of this year, and then move up from there. But on any team, taking 2 steps at once just seems like a recipe for failure.

i would prefer Patricia, I would prefer a legitimate HC search. The Bills Brass already seems to be leaning toward Lynn (per reports posted on TBD). My point is that if the Bills believe him to be qualified per his resume (Parcells, Del Rio, and others besides Rex that he has worked with may be saying great things about him to GMs around the league), then others will come to a similar conclusion on their own. If Lynn has more than one offer, I can't imagine choosing the Bills over any other job out there.

Also, I don't envision whoever is deemed "the best HC candidate league wide" to come to Buffalo,either.

Look I know it's a very popular trend right now to bash the organization but IMHO this team already has the talent to be a playoff calibre team. The coaching of Rex Ryan was woefully inept and that has held us back the past couple of years. I have every confidence that the next HC and DC will get us there. Looks like it will be Lynn and Gus Bradley so might as welll jump onboard and enjoy the ride.

It's not only a popular trend now, it has been popular for about 15 years. I see the roster talent as reasonable. Perhaps not far off from playoff level. Certainly more talented than 5 years ago. It's the organization, the odd reporting structure of coach / GM and owner. The influence of marketing on coach selection, and free agent signings. It's not how organizationally competent teams like the Giants, The Ravens, The Steelers, The Packers, the damn Pats, and The Broncos conduct their business. More so than the roster, it is the organization that concerns me. If it concerns me, a person without insider knowledge, I would be willing to bet it concerns the HC candidates gravely.

Denver has an opening, they will get the best candidate that's out there.

There is NOTHING on Lynn's resume that says he'll be a good HC. He's not even a proven OC at this point.

As fans, we don't see his intellect, his work-ethic, his interpersonal skills, his organizational skills, his judgment, his leadership. We have no reason to believe he'll be a good HC.

Then again, some of the people who actual know him say he's got what it takes. And they may be right.

Edited by hondo in seattle

They didn't hurry up and hire Rex. They interviewed 10-12 coaches in all...

agree

There is NOTHING on Lynn's resume that says he'll be a good HC. He's not even a proven OC at this point.

As fans, we don't see his intellect, his work-ethic, his interpersonal skills, his organizational skills, his judgment, his leadership. We have no reason to believe he'll be a good HC.

Then again, some of the people who actual know him say he's got what it takes. And they may be right.

on one hand I have four fingers and a thumb and on the othe I have a thumb and four fingers.

People say that a team needs continuity.....Lynn provides that, at least offensively. Although he was executing the other guy's plays, he took over the play calling, simplified the playbook, and was pretty solid. Even with TT as QB. No receivers for half the season.

Anyway, the problem is squarely with the defense. The defense cost us at least 4-5 games. We could be a playoff team with a decent defense.

If Lynn is hired and brings in Bradley as DC, I think we'll have continuity on offense and a fresh defense with plenty of talent.