Bill O'Brien for Head Coach?

Virgil

Doug Whaley is not going to hire yet another failed Bill Belichick protege who's never shown the ability to develop an NFL QB.

IMO, it's going to be Todd Haley. Whaley's a Pittsburgh guy, he got his Rothlesbuger QB in Cardale Jones last year, he has his Antonio Brown in Sammy Watkins, and his Bell in McCoy. Oh yeah, Haley is a Pittsburgh guy too! If there is no hire coming soon, then it looks like Whaley's head coach of choice is still working.

Has Haley even been mentioned or on the list?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never hire a coach who was just fired.

This is known as the Rex Ryan rule.

In doing so, you hire a coach who has not spent time evaluating what went right, what went wrong. That's important to do.

Here is a list of qb's that have started at least one regular season game under Bill O'Brien

Brock Osweiler

Tom Savage

Brian Hoyer

Ryan Mallet

Case Keenum

Matt Schaub

Just sayin guys....

Who do you think signed off on Osweiler? It's not just the GM.

Doubtful it's the Bills. He can work with Marrone in Jax(!), and let's be honest - Jax has a pretty solid talent foundation. LA and Denver are probably premier destinations. One would think that he and Elway are of like minds re Brock Osweiler, after all.

I agree it seems like a stretch.. you'd think he'd want to go more premier destinations... but I for one would love to bring in somebody like O'Brien.. compared to the situation he walked into at Penn State.. the current mess at 1BD would be a day in the park for him.

Peter King:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/09/nfl-wild-card-weekend-playoffs-steelers-packers-peter-king

"I’m hearing the Bills and Rams were feeling good about the prospects of Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn. Organized and a commanding presence, I heard from one club official after his interview. Lynn’s best chance might be if Bill O’Brien stays in Houston and Buffalo ownership gives a shot to a coach universally liked and respected in the building."

Edited by Rico

no, not mentioned for any team

OTOH, don't the Steelers respond to all "permission to interview" requests while they're in the playoffs with "Go Away. We're Busy"?

Jay Glazer reporting the team could decide to part ways with him. Considering what he's done with the talent there, I would absolutely bring him in for an interview.

The only way it makes sense to fire him is if he was the main reason behind the Brock signing, but I don't feel like that can be right.

I think there's a point that one "lesson learned" from the Rex firing is that a fired HC needs time for ...... "lessons learned"

True. More about not wanting to play the guy that the GM paid a lot to get

If the GM wants to play the guy that the GM paid a lot to get, what breed is his seeing eye dog?