Cardale Jones taking 2nd team reps

MAJBobby

If you're Tyrod, you don't like it but you understand. For the Bills, it's a no brainer. The next head coach should have a big say in whether or not they keep TT. The Pegulas have a boatload of money and like to make a big splash. They may very well want to throw a lot of money at Cowher or Gruden or a big name college guy. I'm not saying it's smart or not, only that they really should be prudent and look around for a HC rather than just handing it to Lynn, even if that is the likely endgame. So they need to protect TT.

As far as TT goes, he's probably unhappy now and doesn't know if he will be back. But as soon as the decision is made, which is the Bills and not his, if he is the guy and Lynn or another guy is the coach, TT has 27 million dollars and is thrilled to be back.

I think this is exactly right. As far as Tyrod is concerned, all will be forgiven if the Bills pick up the option. He knows the Bills hold most of the cards.

Although some people have bemoaned Tyrod's new contract, the Bills are actually in a pretty good situation right now. Although he definitely has his flaws, the Bills could do much worse than rolling out Tyrod again in 2017. Although he didn't have a great year and is definitely flawed in some ways, I believe there is a good chance Tyrod improves in the next couple years. Despite his time in the league, he is still relatively inexperienced and just this year we have seen QBs improve significantly, relatively late in their careers (thinking of Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins). The reason there is so much controversy around Tyrod is that there is no one else like him in today's NFL. BADOL is correct when he says that because of his uniqueness, Tyrod is a difficult matchup for most defenses. I believe you would see the ground game slow considerably (and problems with the O-line magnified) if the Bills put someone like Foles or Bradford at QB.

At any rate, the Bills don't have to make a decision about Tyrod until after the new HC is on board, which greatly increases the attractiveness of the job: Whoever comes in will not be married to one QB for multiple years, like in LA with Goff, and may even believe that Tyrod has the ability to develop into a bona fide franchise QB.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was projected as a first round pick at the beginning of the year. As a cane fan did he really regress that much?

I got an late 2nd on him. Have more to do though

Really question his arm

Has had problems under pressure

Floats alot of balls see bullet 1

Still think it's a bad decision to walk away from Tyrod considering the options out there.

This decision does not mean that they are sure to walk away from Taylor. As several have noted, this move simply delays the decision on Taylor allowing the new coaching staff to have input. Smart move, I think. If Taylor had played and gotten hurt, thus denying the Bills' option, it could have made it harder to hire a coach.

IF Bradford stinks? I have read about Cutler and now Bradford. Do you watch football? How are they better than Taylor?

Thought Bradford was playing pretty well in Minnesota, considering how he got tossed in at the start of the season. Guy can make all the throws, including over the middle, would be one way he's different, which is why teams still want him. (rummage, rummage) Hmmm, yeah, half his games w/in 10% of 300 yds, only 2 really putrid passing games and they won both of 'em, 71% completions, 17 TD, 7 INTs, 3600+ yds passing, Much more of a passing QB than Taylor.

We won't be signing him, he's under contract for 2017 and it's reasonable enough I believe the Vikes will keep him.

You'll cry if you count on him as The Man, is the lesson of history. He'd be Cat-Food behind our OL, specifically the right side.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Has anyone heard of any good reason why Cardale is not starting this weekend to see what we have in him?

Lynn just said that EJ is next in pecking order behind Tyrod so EJ gets the start.

He didn't say Cardale wouldn't play though. Just not start

Then EJ later said that he expects to play the whole game. So who knows?

Edited by PolishDave

Yet another stupid contract clause from OBD. How did they think this would play out at the time?

Look at it from the player's perspective. Your agent negotiates a significant raise for the current season, but at a considerably reduced rate for most starting QBs, and gives the team an option on the remaining contract as a bridge or "prove it" contract. That's essentially a "one year plus" deal. If he's not also protecting you against serious injury that would prevent you from making a roster the following season while giving your current team another chance to evaluate you, then your agent's stupid and you fire him.

Taylor, EJ, Jones all have question marks to go with them.

The only one with really any clarity at all is Jones. He will be on the roster next year. Will it be at 3, 2 or even1?

Taylor has been talked through here so I won't get into that too much. Personally I like him but understand why others don't. I don't know whether I think he'll develop or not.

EJ is the biggest question mark IMO. I know just about everyone thinks he is gone but I think it depends on a lot more factors. I don't think today's game means everything although it will factor in.

Where they see Jones will matter. Is Jones still too raw to be a backup? Is Jones progressing so much that he will be the 2017 starter? If the answer to either of those question is yes, I think EJ stays as backup. This almost has to be what the Bills are thinking because it brings continuity. If Jones is the starter they will draft another prospect. If Taylor stays because Jones is still a 3, then we don't draft one until next year. Either way, EJ fits perfectly as a backup. If the answers to BOTH questions are no, then EJ may go. I doubt the fan base would support him as the starter. We can easily buy EJ for one year with the franchise tag and it has to be cheap. I have no idea of the average salary of the top 5 backup QBs in the league but it has to be pretty low. Is Chase Daniel making the most? We can keep him here with the tag and easily afford that. I think there is a good chance that this is the way it plays out.

Edited by 4merper4mer