12-28: Media Day - Anthony Lynn's Presser as HC

26CornerBlitz

He has less patience for the media than Rex did. In a good way.

Yes, this. He was not going to be lured into throwing any dirt on Rex. Loved the part where someone was trying to butter him up about how forthcoming he seemed, how accountable he held his guys, then asked him about Rex not holding players accountable and he went "Hmmmm. That's interesting". in a statement tone of voice. "Not a catfish, and not biting, pal!"

Pretty rough crowd to face, I thought he overall handled it well.

The press conference was pretty brutal. I dont care though as long as he can coach the offense.

Honestly you can tell that he was not comfortable talking about the EJ/TT thing. He wanted to say: "these clowns above me are telling me who to start, talk to them about it"

I think he's shown he can coach the offense, it's making the HC decisions and keeping the D on track that's the issue.

I read the EJ/TT thing more as "nothing to see here, move along". He made it clear that he viewed it as analogous to injury, a player taken out of the game by factors outside his control. In this case, it's the owner and GM not the doctors who say he can't play, either way he accepts the decision and "next man up". I think he was getting a little impatient when the press kept looping back to it, he'd said what he was going to say and that's that.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And why ask questions you already know the answer to?

"Who made the decision to sit TT"

That sh*t was announced like an hour after Rex was fired, you think Lynn made that decision? Obviously not.

Because they'd rather have a quote than just speculate

I just wish Whaley would have taken the podium on Tuesday to announce the firing and answer questions just so he didn't throw Lynn out there to face the sh*tstorm that was not of his creation.

I don't necessarily disagree with you; Trotter also came off as trying to put the Rex and Marrone hires on Whaley, which isn't completely accurately. Just trying to relay what people are saying nationally.

The national crowd thinks this is much worse than I do. "Dumpster fire" has come up several times, before and after they mis-state things that have happened in the past. BTW - "NFL Insiders" should be renamed "Guys Who Got Fired From the NFL".

I just wish Whaley would have taken the podium on Tuesday to announce the firing and answer questions just so he didn't throw Lynn out there to face the sh*tstorm that was not of his creation.

Why would it necessarily be on Whaley to announce the firing of somebody that didn't report to him and that he had no authority to fire as a result? Should have been Pegula, as Rex Ryan's direct superior in the organization, to announce the firing.

They told the entire press pool that Whaley would be taking questions Monday. Buscaglia tweeted that. So why ask the questions you know Whaley will answer to Lynn?

Why would it necessarily be on Whaley to announce the firing of somebody that didn't report to him and that he had no authority to fire as a result? Should have been Pegula, as Rex Ryan's direct superior in the organization, to announce the firing.

It should have been anybody other than a coach who reported to Ryan. Anybody in upper management would have fit the bill. Pegula, Whaley, Brandon, somebody should have had the sack to step up to the podium and answer the questions before Lynn went out there.

They told the entire press pool that Whaley would be taking questions Monday. Buscaglia tweeted that. So why ask the questions you know Whaley will answer to Lynn?

Because like everybody else on earth they have a job to do on a daily basis and they can't wait until Monday to get to work. They'll ask anybody from the Bills organization any question regarding the football team - particularly ones that involve the recent firing of the HC - to anybody who steps up to answer questions.

Not sure how anybody puts this on the media.

Wait, why should Whaley announce the firing? He didn't fire Rex. He couldn't fire Rex. Rex reported to the Pegulas, just like he did. Pegula made a statement. Arguably, he could have held a presser, but he's the owner, he's not obligated to make himself media-available.

It should have been anybody other than a coach who reported to Ryan. Anybody in upper management would have fit the bill. Pegula, Whaley, Brandon, somebody should have had the sack to step up to the podium and answer the questions before Lynn went out there.

Because like everybody else on earth they have a job to do on a daily basis and they can't wait until Monday to get to work. They'll ask anybody from the Bills organization any question regarding the football team - particularly ones that involve the recent firing of the HC - to anybody who steps up to answer questions.

Not sure how anybody puts this on the media.

I have no problem with the media, but anyone who thinks Lynn would have faced different questions or less questions if Pegula, or Brandon, or Whaley had given a presser, is air-dreaming.

IMHO it would have been extremely poor form to have Brandon or Whaley (someone without fate control over Rex) giving a presser about his firing.

@viccarucci

Anthony Lynn, 'stickler for details,' makes favorable first impression as #Bills' interim coach. NEW at [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/shXvvBCZFu

I think on Sirius radio last night he said it was more a matter of when he'd get the job than if he'd get the job. I think I heard that.....at the end of a long drive, so not a certainty.

I think on Sirius radio last night he said it was more a matter of when he'd get the job than if he'd get the job. I think I heard that.....at the end of a long drive, so not a certainty.

He wrote the same thing in a TBN piece so I'm sure you heard correctly.

He wrote the same thing in a TBN piece so I'm sure you heard correctly.

Come again? Who said what?

That was painful. Press trying to get Lynn to throw Rex under the bus. Lynn didn't take the bait.

This is only going to make the Buffalo News writers more angry.

Yeah watch the vitriol they spew after they get done throwing their furniture all over the house and stomping their feet like toddlers throwing a temper tantrum

It's not about that to me...It's about how it looks...The 1st presser you have after you fire a coach and you don't get up there as a GM and answer questions? I get that it's the normal Wednesday thing...So? It's such a Bills thing to do...Like it's just business as usual...Wednesday presser...Nothing to see here...We're concentrating on the Jets... :lol:

I don't know...Not saying it's a huge thing but to me it just comes across as amateur hour...Looks like Whaley is afraid of facing the tough questions whether that's true or not....Just looks that way to me... B-)

One more time.... Whaley, as the GM, is not responsible for Rex's firing. How would it look if Whaley, who reports in parallel to Rex, both to the Pegulas, schedules and holds a press conference about a firing meeting he probably didn't attend, and had no authority in if he did (doubtful) attend it? Everyone would be screaming about "scheming Whaley" and how he had too much of the Pegulas ear and persuaded them to fire Rex in order to avoid accountability and LOOK, HERE HE IS HOLDING A PRESS CONFERENCE ABOUT THE FIRING EVEN THOUGH....NO AUTHORITY ON THE ORG CHART and that just PROVES IT.

What I heard him say was that the decision to sit Tyrod was not his, but the decision to start EJ over Cardale was everyone's decision.

Actually it was a different question...

It was Lynn on sitting TT "I wasn't in the room"

Lynn on starting EJ "it was our decision "

Slight difference, meaning it wasn't his decision to sit TT but they collectively decided to start EJ, instead of Cardale.

At least that's what I took away.

Yep. The decision came down from mgmt (and I would not presume it was Whaley...it in fact may have come more from Brandon's side, where contracts get negotiated): "sit TT, look at the QB depth on the roster this game".

Lynn wasn't in the room for that decision so he can't say for sure what the drivers for the decision really were.

Given that mandate, he and his coaches decided to follow the depth chart and give EJ the start.

Anyone catch Rappaport before the presser on NFLN saying that for the TT injury clause to kick in he would still need to be injured at the start of next season? Interesting...

Start of "league season", not playing season IOW March 9th

It is for this reason no one with a decent reputation in NFL circles will seek this job regardless of what ownership will offer. Buffalo has become NFL Siberia again for coaches. It's where they go to essentially kill their career. Lynn should think about this when he interviews next week.

You can give bad ones when you've won consistently in the league. Until then, whether right or not, you need to be good in front of the mic.

Well, time will tell if you're right or not. I don't think so myself - I think there's a lot more talent here than there was when we were "coaching Siberia", and Rex very publically made fundamental inexcusable coaching mistakes.

On the pressers....yeah, because Belichick was "all that and a bag of chips" at the pressers in Cleveland SMH

Agreed...Whaley should have been the 1st person to speak...Period...Seems pretty bush-league to me...Like throwing Lynn to the lions...How could they not know that would look bad? B-)

I really can't understand this. Whaley did not have hiring and firing authority over Rex. It would be hella presumptuous for him to speak on the subject.

As for Lynn...he's the interim HC. It's the coaches presser. If he wants to be taken as a grown-Ass man capable of HC an NFL club, he needs to be able to stand down the lions on his own. Anything else would look bad on him.

You do realize that whoever was responsible for counting to 11 is still employed by the Buffalo Bills and will be on the sideline against the Jets.

Um, no. Rob is gone. I thought that Rex was reluctant to implicate anyone because it was Rob.