Marcell Dareus' thoughts on Rex Ryan's firing

Wayne Arnold

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick wasn't able to get anything out of Haynesworth. Dareus is way heavier than he was when he was drafted, he has been suspended twice for weed so that means he has tested positive how many times? Seth Joyner was brought in to work with this defense and left because they were just hanging out in the locker room.

Rex didn't conform to the players wishes, I get that. What should he have done for Dareus? Let him pick the plays? Would that make him be more responsible off the field? Would that make him happier so he eats less? Is Rex responsible for Marcell getting heavier? At some point self accountability needs to kick in, these guys got run over multiple times by Jay freaking Ajayi. Finger pointing is not a good look. Rex deserved to go but these guys should shut up and play better under their new coach and prove that they actually care about winning.

I fully expect a Herculean effort from all our malcontents this Sunday vs. a Jets team that gave up months ago. That will be their I told you so moment that they can stick it in everyone else's face... until of course adversity shows up sometime next season and they once again fold up.

As I said, Dareus' issues and Rex's issues are mutually exclusive IMO.

I don't remember Marcell having any issues with the defense when Pettine or Scwhartz were in charge, which isn't to say that he previously had his priorities in order; I simply mean that he made more impact plays.

What Rex could've done was simplify things to allow the front 7 to attack more and play less read-and-react-and-re-read-and-check-and-re-react stuff.

Again, it's about coaching the 11 that you have on the field, not attempting to shoehorn pieces into a rigid scheme whether guys are at their best in it or not.

Now will Rex apologist go after Shady????

Sal Capaccio (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

As you know, Shady wanted Rex to continue.

Now will Rex apologist go after Shady????

Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

No, numb nuts! Shady was accountable all season long, thus his comments have much more merit than players who were not. Edited by Commonsense

Should have ask him his thoughts on sour diesel vs. blue haze and whether he prefers sativa or indica.

Dareus' issues are, IMO, mutually exclusive from the issues with Rex's defense.

Couldnt disagree more. When you demonstrate time and time again that you are not committed to your craft you give up the right to complain about your employer. Especially when your employer has made you one of the highest paid people in your field.

Should have ask him his thoughts on sour diesel vs. blue haze and whether he prefers sativa or indica.

Couldnt disagree more. When you demonstrate time and time again that you are not committed to your craft you give up the right to complain about your employer. Especially when your employer has made you one of the highest paid people in your field.

That has zero to do with whether or not Rex puts his players in position to be successful.

Like I said, two totally separate issues: Dareus and his commitment to football, and Rex's ability to put guys' talents to their best use.

Edited by thebandit27

No, numb nuts! Shady was accountable all season long, thus his comments have much more merit than players who were not.

Shady had a great year. Gave his all. Kept his mouth shut. Stayed committed after getting his contract upped. Marcell could learn from that. Just stay out of trouble this offseason please Shady!

Dareus' issues are, IMO, mutually exclusive from the issues with Rex's defense.

There's no way that the loss of one guy that communicates adjustments should cause such a precipitous decline in performance.

I despise the idea that every little shift on offense requires multiple checks and changes in approach on defense that all need to be communicated in seconds pre-snap.

All teams have checks and adjustments, but when the quantity and complexity of those checks get in the way of guys being able to simply execute their responsibilities, it becomes detrimental, as we've seen.

thats the thing, really, isnt it?

whether or not you want to roast dareus -- rex had the guy for 2 years and knew what he was capable of, and not capable of.... and didnt make choices that would maximize his best players impact. you can give dareus a hard time for his shortcomings, but that doesnt mean rex is off the hook (or the other way around).

in this case we are tied to one of them and can let the other walk... and one is still here and the other isnt.

thats the thing, really, isnt it?

whether or not you want to roast dareus -- rex had the guy for 2 years and knew what he was capable of, and not capable of.... and didnt make choices that would maximize his best players impact. you can give dareus a hard time for his shortcomings, but that doesnt mean rex is off the hook (or the other way around).

in this case we are tied to one of them and can let the other walk... and one is still here and the other isnt.

Yes, exactly

Marcel says Rex's defense was too detailed.

What he REALLY means is that these players are too stupid to run a defense that has worked for many a player in the past, but it was over the heads of the current roster.

A good coach will create a scheme that will accent a player's strengths, not force a system down their throats.

That said, successful teams have intelligent players, not just athletes. That's on Whaley.

I was not impressed years ago when Pollian brought in Marv Levy, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to adopt the same attitude with this new hire, but I fully expect status quo until Pegula cleans house and brings in legitimate management.

I'm sad to say I predict we'll hit 20 years before we see the playoffs.

Sigh.

If the players are "too stupid" to effectively execute the D scheme, then the really stupid one is the HC who refuse to change to a scheme that they can effectively execute. To continue imposing a system that doesn't work - for two years, with no indication it was ever going to change - is itself grounds to fire "the genius." Edited by yungmack

That has zero to do with whether or not Rex puts his players in position to be successful.

Like I said, two totally separate issues: Dareus and his commitment to football, and Rex's ability to put guys' talents to their best use.

Talking about him opening his big fat mouth for something other than stuffing a sheet pizza down his throat. He should just shut up, put down the bong, go to rehab, then waddle over to the gym and focus on getting into shape and earning his contract next year. Really dont care what his opinion is. He has zero credibility.

Talking about him opening his big fat mouth for something other than stuffing a sheet pizza down his throat. He should just shut up, put down the bong, go to rehab, then waddle over to the gym and focus on getting into shape and earning his contract next year. Really dont care what his opinion is. He has zero credibility.

Don't take this the wrong way: if that's what you were talking about , then I have no idea why you chose my post to reply to, since my statement was that Dareus' issues and Rex's issues were mutually exclusive.

I've long felt that Dareus wasn't maximizing his talents--he's never been in the kind of shape as a pro that he was when he was drafted. That, combined with his substance issues, has held him back.