12-23: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

12-23: DOUG WHALEY ON WGR (16:06)

#Bills GM Doug Whaley is on WGR right now!

Bills GM Doug Whaley tells @WGR550 re: Rex: "Let's put it this way, none of us knows our future. We owe it to our fans to focus on Miami"

Whaley on why no one has made any statements on head coach: "Because we're focused on the games."

Whaley - Our record tells the story this season. But we're always looking to get better as an organization. #Bills

"I have the 53. (Rex) has the 46." - Whaley on relationship with Rex. "Any stuff out there that we are at odds is totally ridiculous"

Whaley: "There's a process in place (when it comes to making a coaching move). But ultimately it is the owners' decision"

Whaley - after last season, we thought if we can handle our business that we could have a chance. We have a chance. We can be better though

Whaley on Tyrod: "We wil let the information make the decision and start the process right after the season"

"We evaluate Tyrod on his whole body of work and where we want him to be as our quarterback." - Whaley

Whaley - We want our QB to help us get to our goal, and that's to win the division #Bills

Whaley - if the value is there, we will draft another QB this year. #Bills

Whaley when asked about Rex- "We owe it to our fans/owners to keep our focus on MIA"

Whaley on possibility of trading for a QB - we're willing to do whatever to improve our roster #Bills

Whaley - I don't see Shady McCoy slowing down at all. He keeps himself in great shape #Bills

Whaley - Robert Woods is a competitor, we know him. He'll be at the top of our list [of players to get signed] #Bills

Whaley on Jerry Hughes - I think he's playing a consistent level. He's opening things up for others on the defense. #Bills

@SalSports

That did not sound like the most ringing endorsement of Rex Ryan by Doug Whaley, by the way. In fact, there was no endorsement at all.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What endorsement can Doug Whaley make if he just said this: "There's a process in place (when it comes to making a coaching move). But ultimately it is the owners' decision"

You have to read the question in context:

"Q: When it comes to a decision on Rex or a coach, do you have a say? Is it Russ? Is it strictly owners?

Whaley: There's a process that we have in place, but the ultimate decision lies with ownership."

A lot different inference than you got from the tweet...

Hardly an endorsement of the coach. He is a goner.

They would be circling the wagons, saying he is doing a good job, handed a tough deck on injuries, continuity, .500 with a chance to improve, etc... The lack of those buzz phrases and agenda screams that Rex is a dead man walking.

Hardly an endorsement of the coach. He is a goner.

They would be circling the wagons, saying he is doing a good job, handed a tough deck on injuries, continuity, .500 with a chance to improve, etc... The lack of those buzz phrases and agenda screams that Rex is a dead man walking.

If so, it certainly has not been a wonderful message to send the players these past few weeks.

I took it to mean "Rex...beat Miami or have your bags packed"

but thats just me

. . . and, sadly, those that are leading the crusade against Rex are likely to be rooting for Miami and the Jets . . . .

I have a question about Doug has the 53 and Rex has the 46. Is it safe to assume, that Rex and Doug work together to acquire players that fit the offensive and defensive schemes of the coaches? I'd rather not think that Doug just says..."Hey I've always liked this guy and I'm going to sign him".

Edited by LabattBlue

I have a question about Doug has the 53 and Rex has the 46. Is it safe to assume, that Rex and Doug work together to acquire players that fit the offensive and defensive schemes of the coaches? I'd rather not think that Doug just says..."Hey I've always liked this guy and I'm going to sign him".

They both have said at various times that scheme doesn't play a big role, Rex asks for the best players and thinks he can fit them in regardless of scheme.

Whether that's really how it works or merely just a talking point, I couldn't say.

I think Whaley was just saying that he's the one in charge of making up the 53 man roster and Rex has the say on which 46 to dress. Nothing more nothing less.

Regardless of whether you think he's doing a good job or not, Whaley comes across as an unintelligent buffoon on these radio spots. Maybe he's just nervous or naturally inarticulate, but he's not really doing himself any favours when he speaks in public.

Regardless of whether you think he's doing a good job or not, Whaley comes across as an unintelligent buffoon on these radio spots. Maybe he's just nervous or naturally inarticulate, but he's not really doing himself any favours when he speaks in public.

GMTM (Tim Murray of the Sabres if not a fan) is also awkward with the media. Either way I take more credit on what they do in terms of talent on the field/ice and I for one feel Whaley's been a good GM. I'd give him an overall grade of B- since he's come here.