Clayton Projects Mike Glennon as Bills' 2017 Starting QB

26CornerBlitz

Whatever team signs him--Mike Glennon--they will overpay for him (see Houston Texans). The Bills don't need to do that. Is he really an upgrade from Tyrod? I don't think so. In the end, I believe (hope) the Bills stick with Taylor.

They need to improve the Defense (FYI: this has been the biggest issue for this team), get a better RT, keep key players healthy, add some depth on both sides of the ball, and this team is a playoff team.

Edited by CSBill

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have Brian Hoyer If the Bills were to move away from TT.

"Glennon's lack of mobility and slow trigger limit his ceiling." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756816/article/qb-index-the-2017-trade-marketfree-agency-guide

Jeez, forget Tony Romo who couldn't stay healthy behind the best offensive line in the league the last two years. Unless you want to sign a guy for 25 million plus only to see him on IR with Watkins.

Read what the article has to say about Taylor and stop thinking somebody else's scrub is a better option.

"Taylor has defined strengths with his vertical throws and exceptional running. He's also extremely careful with the ball. Put Tyrod with Rex's early Jets defenses, and you'd have a Super Bowl contender. (Rex has been chasing the ghosts of those defenses for six years now.)"

I'd be for keeping TT for now and either seeing what Cardale Jones can do and or draft a QB too. While I think Jones has all the right physical tools, so does EJ.

Absolutely no point in running Taylor out of town unless something better is in place. He's no franchise QB but he's serviceable for now. Glennon is not an upgrade.

Agree 100 percent.

Yeah, you guys are right. People act like the payday for another season will bankrupt the Bills but it's simply not true; they could also approach him to renegotiate.

Yeah, you guys are right. People act like the payday for another season will bankrupt the Bills but it's simply not true; they could also approach him to renegotiate.

Fwiw, the cap is apparently going up a ton next season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/12/13/salary-cap-jump-figure-2017/95400088/

Another possible issue--if they fire Rex, they may run into the issue of a top head coaching candidate quite possibly believing (based on actual evidence) that Taylor is more likely to produce wins than whichever lower tier FA Whaley may have his sights on. Coaches coming into this situation will also believe, based on past history, that the leash will be very short and that they need to win now. There will be no rebuilding grace period for a coach taking over a team that hasn't had a losing season since 2013. I think most outside observers may realize that Taylor has issues but that he is also better than the mediocrities who will become available. If so, it could result in either the third war between Whaley and a coach or having to move to plan B on the coaching front.

Fwiw, the cap is apparently going up a ton next season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/12/13/salary-cap-jump-figure-2017/95400088/

Another possible issue--if they fire Rex, they may run into the issue of a top head coaching candidate quite possibly believing (based on actual evidence) that Taylor is more likely to produce wins than whichever lower tier FA Whaley may have his sights on. Coaches coming into this situation will also believe, based on past history, that the leash will be very short and that they need to win now. There will be no rebuilding grace period for a coach taking over a team that hasn't had a losing season since 2013. I think most outside observers may realize that Taylor has issues but that he is also better than the mediocrities who will become available. If so, it could result in either the third war between Whaley and a coach or having to move to plan B on the coaching front.

Or, like, how about letting Whaley get a coach he actually meshes with? If we believe Whaley will be retained, that is...

Or, like, how about letting Whaley get a coach he actually meshes with? If we believe Whaley will be retained, that is...

My totally uninformed guess for a while now is that he has his sights on Todd Haley. I have nothing to back that up other than Haley's philosophy, background with Pitt and Parcells, and success with offenses.

You mean like this?:

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,”

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page"

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

What is it you were saying again?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Glennon will have lots of opportunity for pretty big money. what makes him want to come to Buffalo with its disfunctional organization? Absolutely nothing other than a salary so big nobody else will pay it. Anyhow, I don't think the writers can see that far down the road...and, I for one, think TT is going to be a great QB yet....look at Cousins...5 th year I think, and finally showing he can be the guy. It takes a long time. TT will get his money...maybe not from the disfunctional Bills, but somewhere who is willing to continue to develope with him.

You only replace Tyrod Taylor with an upgrade, not a downgrade or a lateral move. Mike Glennon, forget it. :sick:

well, the lateral move could be an upgrade based on financial structure. Theres actual talent to be measured but there is also a wider perspective of value to the team. if you can talk a guy into the right deal it might make sense to get a modest vet, cardale and a high pick to start with a clean slate.

Whaley really screwed us. We could have franchised Tyrod and gave him 1 more shot. Now we have to cut him and hope he re-signs for a reasonable amount

we kind of landed in the worst case scenario in that hes modestly better than most options for 2017 but not a good option himself.

id have to hope that they talked heavily about contingency plans for if his play landed this way before they even offered the deal.

well, the lateral move could be an upgrade based on financial structure. Theres actual talent to be measured but there is also a wider perspective of value to the team. if you can talk a guy into the right deal it might make sense to get a modest vet, cardale and a high pick to start with a clean slate.

we kind of landed in the worst case scenario in that hes modestly better than most options for 2017 but not a good option himself.

id have to hope that they talked heavily about contingency plans for if his play landed this way before they even offered the deal.

How is this "Starting the slate clean"? It reeks of what has been going on all 21st century... Hire Coach... Replace QB with a place holder.... Fire Coach... Lather Rinse Repeat.