Adam Schefter: Rex Ryan to be fired end of season

Yeezus

Interesting...I didnt read it that way at all. Maybe I am reading it wrong?

To me it sounds like Whaley found the candidates......but the Pegs actually made the decision out of those candidates.

I know this

We did not expect to be top 10 in the league in points

We DID expect to have a very good defense which we do not

Now which of those is Rex Ryan.....who is supposed to be a D guru......fault?

thats how I read it too. Like a corporate recruiter who puts together a list of candidates they recommend for hire based on what the hiring manager is looking for (which includes interviewing them), then the hiring team does the final interviews and makes the selection. I suppose it's possible that he was asked to stack rank them and didn't have Rex at the top though. Which doesn't mean he was against hiring him of course.

I do remember Kim saying Rex wasn't originally at the top of the list.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...I didnt read it that way at all. Maybe I am reading it wrong?

To me it sounds like Whaley found the candidates......but the Pegs actually made the decision out of those candidates.

And I forget which article it was, but there were the texts of Russ to Rex saying Terry likes red wine etc. - that is called stacking the deck and pushing the candidate you really want. It isn't a stretch to do the math and follow the logic, that Whaley and Russ both wanted Rex and tilted the hiring process in Boca towards Rex. If Terry wants to move on from Rex, accordingly he should be looking long and hard at the people who steered Rex his way as well. If for instance I was Pegs and if I did find out about Russ, texts to Rex, he would be out the door real quick...

It feels dirty, but Sully has some good points as well:

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/16/fans-direct-ire-toward-top/

"The main target wasn't Tyrod Taylor or Rex Ryan this week. The great majority of the tweets and emails pointed higher in the organization, to the general manager, the team president and even the scouting department.

Most fans have watched the organization spin in circles long enough to know the problems go deeper than coach or quarterback. Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon have apparently sold ownership the fiction that the Bills have a deep, gifted roster. Discerning customers know better."

Nothing like a major Bills crisis to stir the disgruntled masses. This was the busiest week of the year for the Mailbag, perhaps the liveliest since Doug Marrone walked out with $4 million on New Year's Eve two years ago.

The submissions were more savvy than normal. Am I suddenly attracting a smarter crowd? The main target wasn't Tyrod Taylor or Rex Ryan this week. The great majority of the tweets and emails pointed higher in the organization, to the general manager, the team president and even the scouting department.

Most fans have watched the organization spin in circles long enough to know the problems go deeper than coach or quarterback. Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon have apparently sold ownership the fiction that the Bills have a deep, gifted roster. Discerning customers know better.

It's likely that Ryan will be fired after the season, if not sooner. He and his twin brother, Rob, celebrated their birthday last Tuesday. That happy occasion, plus the holiday season, might have given the Pegulas pause.

Evan Gibson asks: I understand all the talk about Rex and Tyrod being cut loose, but how in the world does Doug Whaley get a pass? Why do you believe he's safe in all this?

Sully: I've had several emails from people saying the media has been too soft on Whaley. I've called him stubborn and reckless. I said he allowed his defense to regress while fawning over EJ Manuel. I've said more than once that he should be fired for the Sammy Watkins trade alone.

But the Pegulas, who need to believe in someone, think otherwise. Presumably, Whaley is on solid ground with ownership, maybe because he's so good at schmoozing them in public settings. Whaley has a roster that's top-heavy in overpaid players, lacking in depth, and short on value picks from his drafts.

I can't think of a single Whaley draft pick who has outperformed his draft position. Ronald Darby, perhaps, but he regressed in his second season.

You can credit Whaley for some decent free-agent pickups, like Zach Brown, Lorenzo Alexander and Mike Gillislee. But the defense has been a disaster in its last five losses, so how great do those defensive pickups seem now? And there's nothing easier to find these days than a serviceable backup running back.

It's not as if Whaley has been a disaster, but he has been no better at his job than Ryan. He has been at odds with two coaches (Ryan and Doug Marrone) in his three full years as GM. His team is bound to get worse before it gets better. He won't be the Pegulas' Golden Boy for long.

Bill Perry asks: Do you think Doug Whaley should be deciding on Rex Ryan's future? I believe he is too tied to "his guys" on the roster and may blame Rex for their ineffectiveness.

Sully: Well said, Bill. No, I do not believe Whaley – or Brandon – should be involved in picking the next head coach. They're the ones who led Pegula to Ryan in the first place – soon after the owner was considering handing control of the operation to Bill Polian.

If the Pegulas trust Brandon and Whaley to deliver another head coach, they deserve to fail. Pegula's instincts were right when he looked for a veteran outside football man to help lead the Bills in a new direction. But when he lost Polian, he took the lazy way out, and he's back where he started.

You're right about Whaley being loyal to his own players. That's typical of weak general managers, who hold on to their mistakes in an attempt to justify an earlier mistake. The entire saga of EJ Manuel is a regrettable example.

@EWSchultzLaw asks: Time for a complete Bills housecleaning? As in, include Russ Brandon in a purge? He has been the "continuity" of this drought.

Lou Speranza asks: Is Brandon, who has sat in on all Bills weekly meetings for 20 years, getting a pass on blame for 17-year nightmare?

Sully: I've probably gotten as many of those Brandon comments as questions about Tyrod's inability to throw from the pocket. Fans realize that Brandon has been around for the entire drought – and that despite the franchise's chronic dysfunction, he has become promoted and increasingly empowered along the way.

When the Pegulas made Brandon president of both the Bills and Sabres, it was assumed that his role in the football operation would diminish. Evidence suggest that he's still very much involved with the Bills.

Brandon is a jock to the core, a competitor. His dream when he worked under John Butler was to become a general manager some day. He got his chance to be GM in 2008-09, with modest success, then stepped aside for Buddy Nix – in the words of the late Ralph Wilson, "a general manager of football."

You're right. It's high time for a housecleaning, which would involve actually separating Brandon from the football side. The Pegulas rely on him. He's been very good for business. But there's no denying that Brandon has also been a constant in the longest playoff drought in major pro sports.

@EricEsch asks: This "source" that keeps feeding Jason LaConfora all of these tips on the Bills. What is that?

Sully: These leaks generally originate in the front office of the team involved. Sometimes, it's agents who are talking. But I know from experience that national writers spend a lot of time talking with general managers and other personnel guys over the phone.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Whaley is talking, but from what I understand, he's not averse to running his mouth in public. He and Ryan are not on good terms, so it's no surprise that national writers would put out the notion that Whaley had provided his head coach with playoff talent.

I learned early in the profession to be wary of these source relationships. It often results in the writer getting most of his "inside" stuff from management, and being

favorable to the GM's side in a crisis.

Sully comes across as very reasonable in that interview--hardly a flamethrower, those were pretty mild, thoughtful responses.

thats how I read it too. Like a corporate recruiter who puts together a list of candidates they recommend for hire based on what the hiring manager is looking for (which includes interviewing them), then the hiring team does the final interviews and makes the selection. I suppose it's possible that he was asked to stack rank them and didn't have Rex at the top though. Which doesn't mean he was against hiring him of course.

I do remember Kim saying Rex wasn't originally at the top of the list.

Except a corporate hiring team knows exactly what they are looking for and tells the recruiter to bring a list of candidates that fit what they want. We can assume the opposite was true witht he Pegulas, who likely didn't know exactly what they wanted (how could they?) and relied completely on Whaley and Brandon. And look, there was only a fairly small list of legit cnadidates for Whaley to present them, so that wasn't really "work" for Whaley.

Final games count in that the Pegulas don't want to see the team embarrass them over the last 3 games even knowing Rex is a goner.

If hes already a goner how is style relevant at this point? Will they kick rex in the ass on his way out as opposed to throwing him a going away party?

If rex wins out i dont think its clear that hes gone. Thats the only way to read that with respect to Rex. IMO

If hes already a goner how is style relevant at this point? Will they kick rex in the ass on his way out as opposed to throwing him a going away party?

If rex wins out i dont think its clear that hes gone. Thats the only way to read that with respect to Rex. IMO

Maybe.

I don't see how, given the way the season has deteriorated, beating the worst teams in the NFL for meaningless wins would completely reverse the thinking that these reports say is going on regarding Rex.

Compared to how the Pegulas may feel now about Rex, would winning these games against the leagues tomato cans really make them commit to another year of the same from their HC? That wouldn't make any sense.

We still are on the Cowher train? Dude hasn't coached in a decade. He'd be very Rex like and doesn't have Dick LeBeau to carry his team.

Get a young guy with an offensive mind and a veteran NFL DC.

agreed 100%

If you are going to go for a big-name guy from NFL past (Cowher, Gruden, etc.) I'd just as soon have you keep Ryan.

Edited by mjd1001

Same here. Whaley narrowed it down. They weighed pros/cons for each. Decided ticket sales ruled the day. Then told Whaley who they wanted. Young GM at his first gig. New owner. What the hell is supposed to do? I hardly qualify this as Rex being "Whaley's guy."

I'm with all that, except maybe ticket sales ruled the day. That was certainly a component, but I think Rex's big personality won them over.

So for context, this is how the Rams are doing it... Les Snead is currently involved in the HC search but his fate hasn't been decided.

@tompelissero

My understanding on Les Snead's fate: #Rams don't want to limit selves in coaching search. If their target wants new GM, they're open to it.

I do not believe Whaley – or Brandon – should be involved in picking the next head coach.

So Sullivan doesn't think Whaley should decide on the next head coach? The GM shouldn't pick the coach...isn't that how we got here?

He's saying the opposite---Whaley proved with Rex that he shouldn't be picking the next HC.

Buffalo is so dysfunctional that Marrone quit to work in a lower position on a worse team. He had the Bills on the brink of respectability and jackass Rex throws us back in the hole. I put that on Whaley and Brandon and for that I feel we clean house and they all go.

Marrone tried to double deal and failed. Not due to Bills other than over generous out clause in contract,

Schefter's reporting that people believe Rex might be fired.

Yeah, that's concrete.

Wish concrete overshoes on speculators reporting it as "news".

Amazing how many people swallowed the bait of The headline by the #1 troll here.

First, Peter posted the relevant quote, which seemed to go ignored.

Not even DCTom's admonishment seemed to sink in.

Folks, Shefter DID NOT report Ryan will be fired. He mentioned the rumor. I know many of us WANT him gone, but this is not confirmation.

It is a confirmation that it is a rumor only.

My thoughts:

1) There is no question that Doug Whaley, Russ Brandon, and the Pegulas all wanted Rex.

2) I like Whaley, but if he or people in his department are trying to throw Rex under the bus, they are being foolish. This could very well end up being a situation of be careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

3) I like Rex and want him to continue.

4) Rex has the highest winning percentage of any Buffalo Bills coach since Wade Philips (who also should not have been fired).

5) Rex has only coached the team for less than two years and, even before this year started, guys like Vic C were putting him on the hot seat.

6) Gregg Williams got 48 games; Mularkey had 32 games (and could have had more); Jauron even had 57 games, Chan had 48 games.

7) If you guys with the pitchforks get your way and Rex is fired after just two years, people in the front office (perhaps) backstabbing the coach,1 and with all of the injuries that this team has suffered, the suspensions, and lower tier QB play,2 how is this job going to be perceived by any quality coach? The question answer itself. I have a hard time believing that any quality head coach would want this job given the foregoing.

8) Whatever decision the Pegulas make, I really hope that it is based on what they perceive to be in the best interest of the football team on the field rather than an attempt to placate the pitchfork crowd here and in the media.

9) If the Bills do bring in another HC, it will be another case of rinse and repeat which does not have a great track record since Wade was let go.

10) If the Pegulas decide to keep Rex or let him go, I really hope that it works out. I am tired of one step forward and two steps back etc. I have a 14 and 8 year old - neither one has much if any interest in football and who could blame them. My mood would be a lot better if I did not care about this team as much as I do. It is part of my DNA and always will be. As a kid, I went to the games with my family and it is one of the great memories that I have of being with my Dad (who passed away) and is one of the reasons why I continue to be a Buffalo Bills season ticket holder even though I live in Miami.

11) Go Bills!

Just my two cents. Carry on with storming the Bastille.

1 I cannot say that I have any confidence in the reports of Vic Carucci or Jason La Canfora - especially JLCF. I also think that Vic is desperately trying to buttress his discredited report from way back. If my suspicion is correct, it is entirely possible that no one from the front office (Whaley or people under him) are throwing Rex under the bus. If they are, this is dumb given that it is entirely possible that the owners could decide to let all or most of them go as well.

2 I realize that some of you will say that Rex recommended the the Bills sign TT. Indeed, he did. TT was brought in to compete two other QBs whom DW brought in or helped bring in, and he was the best of a mediocre bunch. Rex was playing the cards dealt.