New Chenelly Tweet - Coughlin an option

Reed83HOF

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coughlin is a Hall of Fame coach who is a winner known as a workaholic.

Β 

Exactly. And bringing in a guy who during his successful run was a known workaholic when he is in his 70s seems a bad idea to me, at least as Head Coach. If there is a role for him as an adviser or overall head of football I could live with that - but then let him build his own department underneath him - don't bring him in and tie him to Whaley (as much as I like him) or Rex.

Some fans may not like this idea but I think Perry Fewell would do well with our D, his system being more DL-based than Rex' D. He would let the dogs hunt, even did a decent job as Bills interim HC. Currently DB coach in Washington

Β 

I thought we should have hired him when we hired Gailey. His career has been a bit on the slide the last few years but he did win a Superbowl as a DC in New York under TC.

What's Kevin Gilbride up to?

Β 

Ben McAdoo seems to be doing pretty well. Also, Ben was coaching HS football not too long ago. Seems he learned a bit from Coughlin and McCarthy (was in Green Bay as QB Coach).

Β 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McAdoo

I'd love to have Eli's brand of average on this team.

Β 

He'd instantly be the best QB in our franchise history not named Kelly.

Β 

So would I. TT is below average.

I thought we should have hired him when we hired Gailey. His career has been a bit on the slide the last few years but he did win a Superbowl as a DC in New York under TC.

I was interested in him at that time also, would be happy with him under Coughlin. He had some good defenses in NJ when he had the D-line.

Β 

I like Mike Pettine even more than Fewell and would interview him for head coach.

FWIW, I heard Bob Papa and David Diehl mention this morning on Sirius XM NFL Radio that they heard that Buffalo and Jacksonville were the two teams that are serious for Coughlin. I'd imagine they both have connections to Coughlin, since Diehl played for him and Papa is the Giants radio announcer.

Edited by Chilly

Coughlin's Giants teams were a mixed bag. The D lost a ton of talent during his last few years there, but those teams were also plagued by a lack of preparation, focus, and effort on Sundays. They flat out stopped listening to him during his last two seasons and it was apparent that the game had passed him by. As many have said, an advisory role would be fine but it would be very troubling if he were named HC, unless he assembles a young, lights-out staff.

Β 

I remember seeing a lot of glaring clock and game management errors from him in his last couple of seasons as well.

Maybe because he has brought 2 Lombardis to his previous employer?

Β 

Tom would have instant credibility and buy in from the players.

Β 

The age thing doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather have an old smart football coach than a dumb young one. Goodness knows we've had plenty of those.

Coughlin had a single winning season (9-7) in his last 4yrs in NY and his last two years he went 6-10. With a borderline HOF QB on the team

Β 

The game passes everyone by. Even coaches. Me addressing his age is not a subjective criticism, its reality. Coughlin wouldve been the move to make a decade ago. Not now.

they are so much better than they were just last year when they were the worst team in the league. Mariota is only going to get better and they have hella draft picks from that Goff trade.

Their arrow is really pointing up but man having 6 games within that crap division helps those numbers. Most importantly Mariota appears to have turned a corner.

Their arrow is really pointing up but man having 6 games within that crap division helps those numbers. Most importantly Mariota appears to have turned a corner.

Yea our 4 against the jets/dolphins and 1 against brisset really are a murderers row in 2016