New Chenelly Tweet - Coughlin an option

Reed83HOF

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Coughlin wants full control of the football team. He wants to coach one and I don't think for very long either. Maybe 2-3 years.

I think he's motivated to prove the New York Giants wrong and show that he can still coach and win. Buffalo is an attractive spot because the coach who puts Buffalo into the playoffs is easily a Coach of the Year candidate and it is a hell of a capstone to his legacy. Buffalo in the playoffs on top of his work in Jacksonville and in New York makes him a first ballot hall of fame coach. If you want a challenge as a head coach, there is no bigger of a challenge than the one in Orchard Park, NY.

Part of me is concerned by that because if he's on a personal mission to prove "his" way still works, that's what Ryan was - on a mission to prove something to the Jets and it was not successful. The Bills have to decide on whether the Coughlin way has a place in the 2017 NFL.

Part of me sees it as a positive - He's been successful everywhere, he's taken the time to reflect (unlike Ryan) and he's motivated. He hates being fired.

Nice post.

Yeah I think he wants to coach and knows if he doesn't get a gig this year, he likely never will and also doesn't want to walk into a total rebuild situation so for that and some of the reasons you also mention he's not much in a position to demand total control. I also do agree with the "mission" comments you made. Actually heard a thing the other day comparing when Rex came to Bills last year as being dumped by GF and immediately going out and getting a new GF when you really should take time to decompress first, that could be a little bit like what's going on with TC. He wants to get a younger better looking GF, but considering the pickings are more limited here, he'll take anyone who'll have him.

Kind of laughed a little at the John Clayton article:

"Every team in need of a head coach will be hoping for some of the luck that teams like the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders had"

Yeah Gase has looked good so far, but what the Raiders really were getting at the time was a retread coach with a losing record after around 8 years in Jax. Could be he's another Bill B clone and learned from his mistakes or more likely he stumbled into a good QB situation in Carr so now he's a great coach. Wait to he puts the axe through someones foot again.

I don't think Coughlin wants full control of the football team. He wants to coach one and I don't think for very long either. Maybe 2-3 years.

I think he's motivated to prove the New York Giants wrong and show that he can still coach and win. Buffalo is an attractive spot because the coach who puts Buffalo into the playoffs is easily a Coach of the Year candidate and it is a hell of a capstone to his legacy. Buffalo in the playoffs on top of his work in Jacksonville and in New York makes him a first ballot hall of fame coach. If you want a challenge as a head coach, there is no bigger of a challenge than the one in Orchard Park, NY.

Part of me is concerned by that because if he's on a personal mission to prove "his" way still works, that's what Ryan was - on a mission to prove something to the Jets and it was not successful. The Bills have to decide on whether the Coughlin way has a place in the 2017 NFL.

Part of me sees it as a positive - He's been successful everywhere, he's taken the time to reflect (unlike Ryan) and he's motivated. He hates being fired.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

What exactly does Whaley do to sabatoge these coaches? He doesn't get along with them? I don't get along with boss me some comworkers either. Am I sabatoging them? In environments with strong egos, not getting along is not uncommon.

Apparently he sabotaged Rex by getting every player Rex wanted and let him coach. <_<

I have not read a lot of the 11 pages leading up to this point, so please forgive if this is a retread:

Coughlin felt like he got screwed on the way out of the Giants organization. Their roster in his last season, defensively, was one of the worst in franchise history. They were leading games by 10+ points going into the 4th and could not hold...something like 5 games they lost where they led into the 4th. A HC with no personnel input can only coach what the GM puts on his table. In this case, you have a GM in Reese that has a history of not wanting to draft certain positions high or mid: LB, TE, RB, RT and they tend to wind up being the primary weaknesses of the team. Coughlin thought that he should not have taken the hit for a roster that poorly composed. My thought is that he would have a high sensitivity to another situation like that.

I highly doubt TC opts into the Bills organization given our GM situation. Unless Pegs hand picks him, gives him the option to graduate into the FO, which then puts Doug in the hot seat to play ball with his HC or get lost.

If Coughlin is a serious and primary candidate for head coach in Buffalo, what would he do about the QB? Would he want them to pick up the option on Tyrod and bet on him succeeding over the next 3 years or what else would he do if not that?

If they hired Coughlin and he wanted them to pick up the option on Tyrod, I, as a fan, would be extremely optimistic about the immediate future of this team.

Edited by PolishDave

I just can't seem him coming here to kowtow to Whaley.

Why not? If he wants to be a coach plain and simple I don't think he gives a ****....and he could very well make Whaley look great by getting the bills in the playoffs

Forbes and John Clayton reporting Tom Coughlin's "favors" the Bills job.

Do you think he might be open to giving Lynn a shot at OC?

With all I've learned, I feel Lynn is a guy who deserves a step. But RB coach to HC is two steps. OTOH, a limited time, experienced coach to mentor Lynn in another style of HC then retire and Lynn take over in 2-3 years could be just the thing, assuming they could work together well and assuming success.

I thought Whaley was conducting the coach search, does anyone really think if this is true he will hire Coughlin? It could be, but I'm not feeling it.

He may be leading it or "spearheading" it, but I don't think that means he'll be the sole decision maker.

If you look at the organization, Whaley has a lot less power than many GMs around the league. He isn't the contract negotiator, the guys who do that don't even report to him, they report to Brandon. It's unclear whether or not the next coach will report to him.! The tawdry joke about Whaley being "so far up the Pegulas ass" has the punchline "that he can see Brandon's shoes" meaning Brandon has an even faster route to the Pegulas' ears. Given that the contract guys, Overdorf and Lamattina, report to Brandon, the whole concern about benching Taylor once he hurt his groin may even have arisen from Brandon's structure, and not with Whaley and his guys - "Look, if you keep playing this guy and he doesn't pass his physical, this is the cap implication, you're going to be married to him for the next 3 years, is that really what you want?"

The Pegulas were reported to be seriously playing with the idea of bringing in a "czar" in Polian. I don't think it's totally off the table that the Pegulas decide to hire Couglin as HC/Senior Football Advisor or something, and make him a de-facto czar by having Whaley report to him!

The bottom line for Whaley, in any case, is that if he wants to keep his job, he needs to build a winning team and bring in a winning coach - no excuses and no fourth chance (if one counts Marrone). I think he's astute enough not to eliminate any option that might get him there. He has to know that giving a guy a double-bump from RB coach to HC in one season is a tremendous risk, especially a guy like Lynn who has not held other assistantships.

I an actually coming around on Coughlin aa HC IF (caveat incoming) there is a transition plan in place. Coughlin is not likely to be around for another five years, never mind a decade, but he is more than willing to be a CEO type HC.

I like Lynn, but going from running back coach to head coach in less than a year is a huge leap. A few seasons getting the chance to build his own system while getting a competent DC in here might make a convincing case for the future.

I an actually coming around on Coughlin aa HC IF (caveat incoming) there is a transition plan in place. Coughlin is not likely to be around for another five years, never mind a decade, but he is more than willing to be a CEO type HC.

I like Lynn, but going from running back coach to head coach in less than a year is a huge leap. A few seasons getting the chance to build his own system while getting a competent DC in here might make a convincing case for the future.

What's the difference between RB coach/OC and special teams coach?