Blame Runs Deep - Excellent Article By Tim Graham

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Screw our bills, whose ready for Star Wars: rogue one this week?

I'm going to see Assassins Creed instead.

While Brandon deserves the criticism he is getting in this thread and others, Pegula needs to also be criticized. A coaching candidate is tipped off that Pegula likes red wine, and uses it to his advantage to gain favor with gullible ownership? You've got to be freakin' kidding me!!!

Pegula(s) need to stay the hell out of the coaching interviews next time around...and stay away from anything in football operations.

The Sabres aren't anywhere near the playoffs 6 years into the Pegula era, and the Bills continue to be mired in mediocrity closing in on 20 years.

This truly shows we need a football czar to find to direct he ship until a GM and HC are found. I would like to see Polian, Ron Wolf or even Tom Coughlin brought in.

The more I think about it the more I'm on board with gutting the whole thing...Whaley and all...This team is broken in a real bad way...It reaches to the top and through the Scouting...It's the coaches, and the players...It's badly flawed...

The deep rooted problems are sometimes hidden by the mediocrity of the final records each year...Even 6-10 does not seem that bad compared to 4-12...A couple close games away from .500...

The key to me is how poorly they have played over the years against good NFL teams...They get to the 6-9 win seasons by generally beating up on average and poor teams...But when they are faced with a challenge they wilt...And this is nothing new...

I did a little research...The Bills best seasons over the past 5 years vs. winning teams were 2014 and 2015 when they went 3-5...If you remove the Pats season closer in 2014 when they sat everyone in the 2nd half, and the win vs the Pats and their injured 3rd string QB this year...the Bills have won a grand total of 6...yes 6 games against teams with winning records in the past 5 seasons including 2016...Since the 2012 season the Bills are...sigh...a total of 8-27 (and that includes the 2 Pats wins) when playing teams that finished 9-7 or better, or have a winning record so far this year...Yes...8-27...That's 35 games...three games over 2 full 16 game seasons vs winning teams...And the seasonal average would be worse then 4-12...

Something needs to change...You're not getting anywhere by only beating the Sisters Of The Poor and slightly less than poor...And this organization from the top down cannot compete as is...

Buh bye... B-)

Couldn't agree more. Started a thread a few weeks back about how we haven't beat a winning team but didn't realize how far back it went.

Wasnt Marrone Brandons neighbor or something? Maybe that is why he gave him that sweet out clause cause it certainly wasnt because he had muliple offers to be a NFL head coach.

Yes, they were on some sort of committee together up at Syracuse. It was cronyism at it's finest, and I could deal with this if the target was Saban or Harbaugh. Marrone was second rate but you know what? I am betting that he worked twice as hard as Rex.

It's not the Pegulas' fault, it's Brandon.

It's not Brandon's fault, it's Whaley's.

It's not Whaley's fault, it's Rex's.

It's not Rex's fault, it's the players.

It's not the whole team, it's the defense.

It's not the whole defense, it's the secondary.

It's not the secondary, it's the safeties.

It's not all the safeties, it's Jonathan Meeks.

It's not Jonathan Meeks, it's the coaching.

It's not the coaching, it's the guy who hired the coach.

It's not the guy who hired the coach, it's the guy who hired the guy who hired the coach.

It's not the guy who hired the coach who hired the coach, it's......

(jumps off a bridge)

There is a guy here who blames the fans.

Ya, come to think of it, you're right. That rascal Tim Graham tried to play all of us.

All is well at OBD. Move along people. Nothing to see here.

OK that was great! :) :) :)

Very well done, this was perfect! Firing Rex is only getting rid of a portion of this problem. Whaley still does not get it, you need a QB to win this league. Also DT is not a position that you pay 100mill for, perhaps yes for an elite pass rushing DE or Franchise QB but not DT.

How many picks for Sammy who if we don't fix our QB situation will leave in a few seasons. Get someone who understands that it starts and ends with the QB. I want someone who drafts a QB every season until we find the guy.

Become a Jets fan because that works right?

I still like Whaley, I think he has an eye for finding talent.

Pegula should fire him or give him full responsibility of the football operation going forward, let him sink or swim without outside imput.

Let him find the coach and QB he desires, no more this consensus group BS. Let him say on the press, these are my players, this is my coach and this is my vision as a team. He can't hide behind group thinking or group work. put up or shut up.

Burn it too the ground. Whaley is responsible for the horrible contracts we have, 2 first round picks for Watkins, putrid WR depth. Our team is not talented. It is time to accept that so the healing can begin. We have mediocre talent that is putting up mediocre results. This is not a 1 player or coach fix. All the talk about Romo or Cutler. Both will get destroyed behind this sieve offensive line.

I'm going to see Assassins Creed instead.

This truly shows we need a football czar to find to direct he ship until a GM and HC are found. I would like to see Polian, Ron Wolf or even Tom Coughlin brought in.

I understand that Pegula had meet with Coughlin before the season. I suspect and hope TP has seen enough at this point and will make some changes. One scenario would be to hire Coughlin as team president and have the business (Brandon now) and GM (Whaley now) report to him. The only guy that reports to Pegula would be the president. Both business and football operations answer to the team President.

Let Rex go now and get it over with at this point. As for Whaley I would let the new president decide his fate. In my view he should be let go for the apparent in-fighting. I don't want any 'non-team' players here regardless of how bad things are going. Its one team and he appears to be part of the problem. Bring in a new GM. Some names have been thrown around on the board already. like the Ravens Asst. GM. I know nothing about him except the team has a stellar record in the draft and always seem to be competitive. That's all I ask. Put a competitive, hard playing team on the field week-after-week not a team that lays down and plays dead when the season is on the line.

As for Brandon, I don't care if he stays or goes as long as he's 1,000 miles away from any football decisions.

As for yesterday's game this is the 2nd time the Steelers have come into the stadium for a late season game and pushed the Bills up and down the field in a contest that meant something to the Bills who once again came out flat and unprepared.

Enough already!

just put a guy over football operations (equal to russ) whose priority is winning over ticket sales.

The problem is, brandon wants to sit at the big kids table. He wont go away quietly. Might make it uncomfortable for the new boss. Would probably continue to play dirty pool in the media.

They could survive as a business without russ brandon. Im sure of it. There are many, many people who are capable of running the business side of an nfl team. Some new and fresh ideas are needed here on that side as well.

The problem is, brandon wants to sit at the big kids table. He wont go away quietly. Might make it uncomfortable for the new boss. Would probably continue to play dirty pool in the media.

They could survive as a business without russ brandon. Im sure of it. There are many, many people who are capable of running the business side of an nfl team. Some new and fresh ideas are needed here on that side as well.

Brandon's role and influence in football decisions is exaggerated by fans looking for reasons why this thing keeps failing. Brandon's success "marketing" the product is also exaggerated...He is selling tickets/merch for the biggest show in town and one of the most rabid fan bases in all of sports.

Not sure I have had to do this before!!!! Here it goes!!! A common sense solution would be to replace Brandon and everyone else with influence and start a new. Way to little success, way to much guaranteed money being burned up, way to many rumors and leaks of infighting and jockeying for position. Heading towards the back end of two decades stuck on amatuer hour, if the clock doesn't strike midnight now will it ever?

Edited by Commonsense

What are the odds that Brandon, Whaley, the clown twins, any of them. Would go on in the league anywhere and find success? The chances are very slim. Whaley now on his second coach that he is reportedly butting heads with. Maybe he's a pompus Dick to deal with? The report of "superior talent" is simply not the case. The evidence has been on display for weeks now. It's not all coaching and scheme. It's poor drafting, stupid extensions, and the complete inability to build an offense. Screw his Steelers background. There is zero evidence he follows their tradition of developing their draft picks. bye bye Gilmore, Woods, and probably Watkins who will be a superstar if he leaves the Bills. His talent is undeniable. The price for him was a Whaley mistake. Hard to argue that.

Brandon is a marketing guy dating back to his baseball days. Easily replaceable. He sold Bills HOME effing games soley for the $$$$. Any Bills fan knows put a team out there that contends every year. And tickets sell themselves. Marketing is the least of this below average organizations problems.

The Pegulas already have a track record of sorts. The Sabres. Yea maybe in a year or two.Maybe. But early on plenty of rookie owners mistakes. Pegula can rightfully be credited for revitalizing downtown. But as a sports team owner they have a lot of learning to do. Keeping Brandon or anyone below him will keep the Bills mired in suck for years to come.

Coughlin was smart to decline any role with the team. Maybe his short time with the Pegulas was all he needed too hear. Ownership is as raw as Cardele Jones.

It pains me to say it, but I have finally come to a similar conclusion. Nuke it all. Unfortunately the rumors are that Brandon won't be going anywhere -- the Pegulas love him.

As you can surely see, it isn't fun to think like this.

As bad as things have been for all of these years, I usually had faith in the offseason, hoping that just once the front office would click and get us what we need. With Whaley, all hope is gone imo. He spends money and gives away draft picks like a kid in a candy store. Imo he is not at all professional and completely outclassed by his peers.

Yep, time to start over.

First order of business is to hire an outside football person to evaluate the "company," develop recommendations, report to owners, then carry out the agreed-upon objectives. What is there to lose, 2017-18 is in the dumpster already; so develop a plan and implement it.

I'm not absolving him of all blame....I just don't think he has much say over contracts

I have to disagree. He wants a player and you don't think he puts pressure on whomever is negotiating the contracts to get it done?